Bleedin price stickers on stuff grr

More
13 years 2 months ago #17623 by Jan
Ok i don't moan to much about things BUT I am sick of a certain big retail chain in the colour red (oops can i say that?) and their price stickers.[:(!]

We purchased some pressies for my daughters friends birthday and what a saga getting those stickers off. One pressie was a book which left marks on the book no matter how hard i tried. And why do they stick the stickers on the front of the books!!! whats wrong with the back.

Yesterday i bought a book for myself which was on special so had 2 stickers on. Again i couldn't get it all off and the book looks awful now. (I take pride in my books).

Also why do they stick the price stickers inside wrappings etc. Again i bought a pressy which was in a wrapping. Good i thought the sticker will come off on the wrapping. WRONG! they had taken off the wrapper, stuck the bloody price sticker on the box and then rewrapped it. So once again taking a sticker off without leaving a mark was impossible[}:)]. Not nice when its a present.

I was told that they have these stickers so people dont swap them with cheaper item. But when you take it to the checkout they zap the bloody thing anyway!

Ok rant over [:I] will now go and have a coffee. (oh reason for rant was i just bought a cd for my daughters birthday today and sticker problem reared its head again.

Jan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #261856 by drifter
You need to make friends with a product called 'De-solv-it'.
Takes it all off gently even on paper items like books.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 2 months ago #261858 by reggit
Where do you get that wondrous stuff, drifter?

Although I'll be bloody annoyed having to buy it!

We have this massive sticker on the new dishwasher door for water efficiency etc, and it won't come off without leaving crap all over the surface. The fridge one just peeled off - very annoying!!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 2 months ago #261860 by Jan
Right-oh ... Thanks drifter, I will now go and be friends with de-solv-it. Will buy some next time i'm at the supermarket ( presume they sell it there)

Ive used other stuff but no luck, but if it works with books thats great. Ta very muchly

Jan

More
13 years 2 months ago #261872 by drifter
Yes you have to invite it home for 'sleepovers' from the supermarket or Mitre 10. :)
*cough* it's not a cheap friend either[:0]
But it certainly does the trick and has probably saved me $$ in not having to resort to the vino when wresting with stickers.
I must say though... I'd rather be friends with the wine but it just won't pull finger and remove the blasted stickers in a way which means I can still give said item as a gift[;)]

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 2 months ago #261882 by Ghilly
I hate it when they put the price sticker over the directions on things. If they have been on it for a while, there's is no way the sticker will come off and leave the label intact so you can read it. Some of the book shops have massive stickers that they put on the back cover and manage to hide whatever text is written about the book..... you know, the blurb about the book in general, sometimes it's nice to be able to read the back cover.

It takes ages to sit and pick off the price stickers at Christmas, sometimes there is more than one price and several stickers have been placed one on top of the other, others have a line through the highest price and another BIG sticker banged on with the new price. The old sticker either takes the surface off the cover or leaves a greasy sort of sticky mess. De Solv it might work on the sticky mess but does it take off the sticker that has blended into the cover. If you try to take those ones off you end up with a big scar on what was a nice book. Idiots!

Ever tried to open a blister pack? Those hard plastic ones...... nasty. Getting into them is hard enough, trying to get them into a rubbish bag without tearing a big rip in it is another matter.

Tary fingered gits make the world a more difficult place to shop... or do anything actually. Permanant stickers on things, packets of things you can't open with just your fingers, you need a knife or scissors and the cut edges a sharp. I dunno. The honest people of the world are getting the rough end of the stick.

Yakut

More
13 years 2 months ago #261909 by Toast
If you've got sticky stuff left on the item after taking the price tag off you can put sellotape over the area, press it down firmly & then peel it off gently. May take a few tries but it often picks up the sticky stuff. Sometimes you have to revert to a 2nd piece.

Have used nail polish remover for some things but doesn't always work & will damage plastic etc.

Yakut - I call those things Nana-proof (as opposed to kiddy-proof)!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
13 years 2 months ago #261919 by Simkin
I've politely asked the friendly lady at the check-out to remove the sticker[^]
It worked very well indeed - they have de-solv-it behind the information counter[8D]

More
13 years 2 months ago #261922 by Dream Weaver

drifter;241104 wrote: You need to make friends with a product called 'De-solv-it'.
Takes it all off gently even on paper items like books.

Agree its good stuff.

More
13 years 2 months ago #261924 by Finn McCool
You're so right Jan about the red shed stickers. Every xmas I sit there cursing them as I wrap untold amounts of pressies, I always mean to complain but forget about afterwards. Their's are definitely the worst.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

More
13 years 2 months ago #261935 by kathken

Finn McCool;241176 wrote: You're so right Jan about the red shed stickers. Every xmas I sit there cursing them as I wrap untold amounts of pressies, I always mean to complain but forget about afterwards. Their's are definitely the worst.

oh finn mccool, you took the words right out of my mouth. my sentiments exactly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
13 years 2 months ago #261956 by Prim
Tea tree oil works just as well. I pop a drop on whatever it is I want to get sticky marks off of, and then rub with tissue or paper towel, or cloth. Works wonders! Might be cheaper then de-solv-it.

And I must remember to ask them to remove the price stickers themselves next time I'm there. Although, beware - I have noticed that if you don't opt for a bag at our 'local' store they will slap a huge piece of SOLD bright red tape over the entire bloody product, which can be just as difficult to remove!

More
13 years 2 months ago #261963 by Hintzashouse
They told OH today they would be charging 10 c a bag soon but 7 c would go to charity.. ?

More
13 years 2 months ago #261969 by Finn McCool
Hubby just read the title of this thread over my shoulder and started ranting about the red shed! It's annoying when you're trying to tell your kids that Santa has brought presents when there's a b****y price sticker on it!

I've actually got some de-solv-it but never thought to use it on price tags. Thanks for the tip.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

More
13 years 2 months ago #261993 by beedee
any oil is also good, obviously not for books but other things, nuffink worse than a mug wearing its sticker for a few months.. guess thats the price we have to pay for having such light fingers as part of our community. I have come across items wearing obviously the wrong amount and wonder which item is wearing the lower $$.
In the USA checkout tellers were wearing a cheap item label on their wrists and when their friends brought the turkey to the counter they would zap the wrist price and so a turkey would be charged as a loaf of bread.. and that was back in the 70's so guess we cant really blame today being the moment of cause. So at thanksgiving turkeys had to be checked through by a supervisor... and thats when I found out that every checkout had hidden cameras watching our every movement

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds