Laundry Powder Grumble

More
13 years 2 months ago #17543 by ccrk9
Laundry Powder Grumble was created by ccrk9
I saw some ads on tv that my regular laundry powder was being replaced by one that is 2x more concerntrated or some such rubbis...my immediate thought was that this was just a way of the company concerned getting in a price hike....sure enough no more "ordinary" powder on the shelf at the supermarket and the price of the 500grm new powder (supposedly will do the same washes as my old powder) is way more expensive than I used to pay for the 1kg box.They say you only use 1 scoop of the new powder so it lasts longer even if its a smaller box - rubbish as I only used one scoop of powder of the old type so 1kg lasted me ages.I tried a half scoop of the new stuff...it dosent clean as well so I have to use a whole scoop. So I am now paying more for a 5oogrm box that lasts less than my old powder did. A sneaky price rise, which on a limited budget hurts!I wouldnt ,mind if there was a choice on the shelves but all the ordinary non concentrate powders have vanished replaced by the new concentrates. a friend suggested trying liquid laundry wash as its got no fillers....might have to look at that.It was quite funny watching other people at the supermarket and listening to their comments as many feel ripped off the way I do.Sorry - just my rant of the day!

The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable
living from a small piece of land. ~ Abraham Lincoln ~

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 2 months ago #260839 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
Someone suggested to me getting a container to store it in and buying a bulk bag of washing powder from RD1...might be a more economical way to go?

I get annoyed with the repackaging too, makes it hard to compare apples with apples price/quantity wise. I suspect that is why they do it [:(!]

We bought a Raid autospray thingee the other day, sprays every few minutes or whatever - $29.99 with the can of spray included. Doesn't work. Flies laughing at it. Taking it back next week for a refund and expecting a big argument...[}:)] but the Consumer Guarantees Act is on my side [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 2 months ago #260840 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
Must admit there was an ordinary Budget brand powder available but it was a 4kg bag for just over $8 and as we only had $67 for food and a couple of non grocery items plus some cat food I couldnt justify spending the extra for the bid bag of powder....when you have that sort of money for groceries/food you think twice about anything where there is a price hike....

More
13 years 2 months ago #260841 by Louimay
Replied by Louimay on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
Totally agree ccrk9.

There is no way the new product lasts as long as the old stuff. I think I may get at the most 8 washes out of a box?? I do a load of washing a day:(

Back to CRT for a big bucket of Charge next week for me.

More
13 years 2 months ago #260850 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
i have bought one of those 2x concentrate laundry powders, definatly is not lasting as long, but i'm positive it only cost $2.15.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
13 years 2 months ago #260851 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
I buy the big bags of persil at the red shed - on special for about $15, although they don't always have the front loader one... Lasts for ages!

More
13 years 2 months ago #260856 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
I have been told that the $10 box of Shotz ??(big box at the red shed) is brilliant and lasts for ages longer than the packaging says it will, and cleans the clothes well. It may be worth a go.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
13 years 2 months ago #260861 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
CCRK9 (have I got that right?), I know what you mean. You have to carry a calculator with you to keep up with all the changes.

I think this is another of those examples of downsizing which is actually upsizing of the price. Have you noticed that, for example, a jar of Vegemite still costs the same, but the jar is smaller? Same thing. We're all in such a hurry we don't notice!

It's good that you post your grumble because people such as oskatd & judes reply with what looks as if they are better deals. I shall be following up the red shed one. If you've got friends/family handy who want to save on laundry powder, buying the big bucket of Persil from Farmlands (or similar example) & splitting it up between you is a good idea. If you're the organiser then you are the one who keeps the big bucket. They are marvelous for soaking laundry, particularly blankets.

If you can get a bit of a co-operative going with local friends/family, you could save quite a bit on other items. The wine offers via my credit card are excellent but I never partake as that volume of wine will take forever to be consumed by me, there's nowhere to store it here etc.

Anyway, hope more people can come up with laundry detergent savings.

I have read where you shouldn't use as much as the package says as it's a waste.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
13 years 2 months ago #260869 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
for the sake of comparison I bought one of those smaller boxes last weekend too.

yes the scoop is slightly smaller, but I also never used a full scoop for the previous product either. the Jury is out on whether the wash is any cleaner but I cannot see an economic different by buying smaller, and I shall be buying bigger at the major hardwares when on special regardless.

One other lady was as equally perplexed as I at the same shelf, we both agreed if it was to save the environment, then bigger and less packaging would be better. However it means less product on the shelf and the major supermarkets would then be charging the suppliers more to continually restock the product, as well as charging less for the initial stocking.....

Really its all a con.

More
13 years 2 months ago #260875 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
If you shop at countdown, they have the 'per unit, kg, or gram' price at the bottom of the price ticket for most of their items now. It definitely saves on mental maths while shopping.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
13 years 2 months ago #260889 by The Kats Place
I buy the bucket of persil automatic at RD 1 when its on special 10kg for about $44 and two buckets last me a yeat and I get a sealable bucket.

A friend recently bought another powder from the supermarket and you would not believe the smell, it was like a dirty nappy been in a closed bag for a week! She rang the manufacturer (0800 number) which were australian and they said the perfum had been left out of the mix! Is that really what soap powder smells like with out perfum? it was gross, I was heaving. they are sending her a voucher for a replacement box

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

• maggies mum
13 years 2 months ago #260898 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
Mitre 10 do the large bags of persil for both top and front loader.

Re the 2x box, you still have to use a full scoop. Whats the point of it anyway, if it was the same old size box that gave you twice as many washes for the same original price then it would be worth it!

More
13 years 2 months ago #260900 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Laundry Powder Grumble

Toast;240011 wrote:
I think this is another of those examples of downsizing which is actually upsizing of the price. Have you noticed that, for example, a jar of Vegemite still costs the same, but the jar is smaller? Same thing. We're all in such a hurry we don't notice!

The latest craze at the supermarkets is to "buy 2 and save"
I find this to be a right royal pain[xx(] as there are only 2 of us in this household and I don't want to buy 2 of anything (unless it is something we particularly use and is on a good special) - one will do me just fine, thank you. Like you, CCRK9, I am on a very limited grocery budget and this constant nagging to buy 2 means something gets missed out on.
With the laundry powder, I have been stocking up when it has been on special for $1.59 or so, and still have a few packets left, so not in any great hurry to buy any more just now.

More
13 years 2 months ago #260918 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
The red shed washing powders are excellent, and the price is great, if we are not going to there, I will buy from Farmlands in bulk, as we run a farmstay and so have heaps of washing to do a lot of the time. I only ever buy the small lots if I have to in emergancy by as they last us a very short time, the cost is not worth it.

RaeM

More
13 years 2 months ago #260942 by ccrk9
Replied by ccrk9 on topic Laundry Powder Grumble
I will look at the rural supply stores and the Red shed for bigger quantities...the trick will be in finding one that dosent stink! Most of them are way to highly perfumed for me. I only do about 3 loads a week normally but have really felt the difference this last week or so as we have been making the most of plenty of water and good weather and washing the curtains from every room.

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds