Builder wanted - Banks peninisula

More
15 years 1 month ago #17453 by moggy
So now the second builder who said they would take the job is proving impossible to track down and actually start.
So much for their being no building work at the moment.

We have a sleepout that needs to be converted into a flat - interior walls, celing and some cladding.

Does anyone know of builder they could recommend who is actually available to start and finish the job. It has now been 6 months of trying to get someone to start.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #259735 by Kiwi303
with all the moans I hear about the lack of builders (or the excess of work for builders) you may need to do it yourself if you can... 6 months is a long time to wait to have nothing happen.

do council building codes say it must be a builder or registered craftsman who does the work?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 1 month ago #259737 by moggy
For what we want done, no permits are required, so with the excpetion of electrical work ( a few more sockets required) then no, I don't think they have to be registered. There is nothing structural being done to the building.
Unfortunately a lot of the work is beyond our capabilities and what isn't we havent got the time to do, so it will have to be someone else who does it.

More
15 years 1 month ago #259777 by Kiwi303
Well, I'm a pretty capable handyman type, if it wasn't so far to where you are I could probably have done it. maybe give the hire-a-hubby guys a call?

More
15 years 1 month ago #259810 by max2
is there reason why the professionals are giving it a miss? I don't mean to be rude or nasty, but I know in Franklin region work is sparse and from my observations, the very best are just keeping their hands in with ''bits'' and fillers.....

My CIL once removed in Auckland, who up until recent months, always had a year's worth of work ahead of him, is down to a month or two at best.

Are you getting any feedback why they don't want/cannnot turn up, or being given the runabout generally?

More
15 years 1 month ago #259811 by reggit
Was going to ask the same, swaggie - are they just not calling back when you leave messages?

If they suddenly get offered a bigger job in the current climate, I would imagine they would jump on that first...not fair, but reality for many of them at the mo is they need to keep themselves going whichever way they can.

If they get a job that will last them several months (eg a house) compared to a short alteration, they'd be foolish to turn it down - although very frustrating for those with the alteration, of course [:I]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• Jack
15 years 1 month ago #259859 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Builder wanted - Banks peninisula
Gidday

Most builders are to up themselves to take on a small renovation job. The chances are you will only be able to get the handyman type joker to do it.

If we had finished our place I might have considered coming up but it may be more than six months left here at the rate we are getting the finishing and painting done.

More
15 years 1 month ago #259866 by moggy
We have no problem at all getting them to come out after the first phone call. We explain roughly what needs doing, then that is the last we hear from them, we cant get them to return our calls, even if it is just to say they don't want to do it. We have tried local builders as we thought that they could fit it round bigger jobs, but also some from chch.
The thing is we have more than this one job we need doing - there is going to be a fair bit of work for the campsite also.
I would understand if they couldn't be bothered to come out to begin with, but not to make the effort, but not follow through. I don't understand.

More
15 years 1 month ago #259870 by Simkin
Hi Moggy,

I'd go for a handyman. Grey Skills or Hire-a-Hubby are good places to start. I don't think a builder will bother with a little alteration job like yours.

We've had huge problems with getting people to do work at our place - too far to travel. But there is an electrician just up our valley who is very good.

More
15 years 1 month ago #259875 by moggy
Yes that electrician has been mentioned many a time. Once we get to the shower block we will have a lot of work for him. Thing is it is not just a minor alteration, for work for the sleepout alone we have bugeted 15K, there are also a couple of other building jobs that we mention when we describe the job. In other words if the first job goes ahead OK then there are at least two others.
tbh I don't really mind what the person calls themselves be it builder/handyman, I just want someone who will say yes I will do the job and then do it.

More
15 years 1 month ago #259880 by Kiwi303
how big a job is the alteration itself? how many walls, how long are the walls, area of the sleepout, etc?

it's the slow season here, milking is finishing off, the last calves are being stuck on a cow now her older calves have been weaned off her and the goats aren't milking, theres little maintenance work to do on here for the time being... If theres some cheap accom down that way I might look into heading down for a while to co-incide with a rabbit show in chch...

any cash is always good :P lol

More
15 years 1 month ago #259881 by moggy
Hey if we can get someone to commit to the job, we have a spare room

I think, if I recall correctly fromn what it is insured for, it is around 60 square metres. Part of the work has been done, it is lined and insulated except for the garaged doors. It also has a nice little patio door and small brick patio. And of course it has the curtain rails there already (hmm, not the first thing I would do altering a building, but hey hum)

More
15 years 1 month ago #259945 by Simkin
Hi Moggy,

the more you write about the job the clearer it becomes to me while you don't get a builder to do the work. Partially done - any builder (or handyman) hates that. We had a similar job done here in Christchurch last August - its done now (sigh) but it was a job I can tell you. Each piece of gibboard that was removed opened a pandora's box - either rat chewed electrical cables or mouldy (untreated[}:)][}:)]) plywood that was used as bracing or sagged disintegrated pink batts. Mouldy building paper, chewed building paper, rotting window frame - that's what I remember. And each 'find' added another 500 to 1000 Dollars to the bill[xx(]

More
15 years 1 month ago #260107 by max2
One of the issues we faced when we arrived here was establishing a new base of competent trades people. We had our secure network back in aussie who we trusted and they trusted us in return, and with the on going problems of the rebuild, we had to act fast but no one here advertised.

so we touched base with a few old locals, but who were mainly made up of volunteers at different organisations. all came up with the same local name over and over again. So we found the name and followed up....

its been great but if we relied on advertising we would never have found him.

just a thought but sometimes it pays to look at the issue in another perspective and rather than wait for people to come to you, sometimes you need to seek them out from their dark crevices.

After our experience with the former DIY who started the rebuild, I wouldn't go for any thing less than a builder these days for major renos.

More
15 years 1 month ago #260110 by moggy
Thanks swaggie. I contacted greyskills that simkin mentioned. I was blunt up front about exactly the type of job that was needed. (although partially done, the work as far as we know was done probably at the time of the build, there were some severe personal circumstances which may or may not have been the cause of it never being completed, and there are no problems with the standard of work). The last guy was a word of mouth chap - came highly recommended, though seems to have dropped out of circulation at the moment, others haven't seen him either.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds