A new option if you want to ditch your landline

More
14 years 7 months ago #1744 by GrantK
For those of us in areas that have Vodafone coverage, there is a new gadget which has been released today:

This little box REPLACES your landline so far as Voice Calls are concerned. From the Press Release:

Vodafone New Zealand has announced the launch of its Vodafone at home service, replacing the traditional fixed-line home phone with a new device that will allow users to simply plug their existing handsets (corded or cordless phones) into the "at home" box and carry on making calls.

Thanks to number portability customers can keep their existing phone number and take advantage of Vodafone’s new prices.

Vodafone at home National costs $39.95 per month and includes unlimited calls to any New Zealand land line number without incurring extra toll charges.

“The idea of toll calling areas is old fashioned and out of date so we’ve decided not to bother with it at all. Customers pay one price per month and can call any New Zealand landline number for no extra cost,” says says GM of Product and Services Kursten Shalfoon.

Calls to Vodafone mobiles in New Zealand will cost 39 cents per minute and calls to other mobiles are 55 cents per minute. International calls are based on Vodafone’s existing fixed-line offers.

Obviously you need to have a wireless internet connection in order to ditch your landline completely. Vodafone have a deal sweetener there too:

The company is also offering a discounted mobile broadband rate to those who sign up for the at home plan. Customers can buy the Broadband Everyday 1GB plan from $39.95 a month, a saving of $10 a month. Customers will need a Vodem or a Vodafone Mobile Connect Card (from $99) to access mobile broadband.

So, if you have Vodafone coverage, your total cost for Phone + Internet is:

$39.95 for phone with UNLIMITED National Calls to landlines
$39.95 for 1GB broadband with an additional 1GB for $10 extra
$79.90 TOTAL

Which is not too bad really [8D]

Obviously it won't be suitable for people who:

* Don't have Vodafone coverage
* Use more than 2GB per month on their broadband

However, there are many people on LSB who wouldn't have a problem with either of those restrictions. It's a new option on the table for those who want to break the shackles of dial-up and old/slow/unreliable copper lines in the ground [8D]

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #64115 by wyseyes
yes, could be good, however I can see some more problems...

Emergency. Dependant on now two networks (vodaphone and telecom) to call 111.

Power. How is it powered? Batteries - I doubt it. Must be wall powered, so there is a black wall wart that you can't see in the advertising. So it is dependant on your home power as well. suppose the same goes for VOIP phones. Land lines work even when there is a powercut.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 7 months ago #64122 by beedee
I like the look of it, but since most people dont want to chat to me when I get home, except maybe Isla, when she is in one of her moods :p ,...... at 1am.. and it sez voice calls so doesnt that kill the internet????
as for 111, guess the shoe ph can do them.. I might wait a month to let the shortcomings get ironed out... is that a photo of yours Grant;)

More
14 years 7 months ago #64126 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by wyseyes

Power. How is it powered? Batteries - I doubt it. Must be wall powered

Yes indeed, it is.

So it is dependant on your home power as well. suppose the same goes for VOIP phones. Land lines work even when there is a powercut.

Quite true, but if you live in an area with Vodafone coverage, you can use your cellphone to dial 111. So I don't see that it matters really. At least with a cellphone, you can't have your phone connection cut at the gate by some well-prepared home invader. That has happened on various occasions in the past.

If it comes to needing 111 service, give me a cellphone any day. At least I am able to move around and report on the whereabouts of burglars, fires etc without being tethered to a landline :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #64129 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by beedee

...and it sez voice calls so doesnt that kill the internet????

NO, this has nothing to do with a landline, so it won't kill your internet Beedee [8D]

quote:Originally posted by beedee

... is that a photo of yours Grant;)

No, it isn't mine but I know someone who has just rushed out to Sylvia Park in Auckland and bought one. He is the first customer in the country to be signed up and he promises to post his report sometime this evening. If anything interesting turns up, I'll post it here.

Cheers,
Grant.

More
14 years 7 months ago #64139 by GrantK

Power. How is it powered? Batteries - I doubt it. Must be wall powered, so there is a black wall wart that you can't see in the advertising. So it is dependant on your home power as well. suppose the same goes for VOIP phones. Land lines work even when there is a powercut.

I just found some more info. on this:

Telecom have already been laying the ground work for their Next gen Network (essentially VOIP network) to need a wallwart of some kind in each installation, if the volts go off the phone will follow, also the roadside cabinets will not have juice either.
www.stuff.co.nz/4178345a28.html

So, it seems that the days when phones continue to function without power are already numbered...

More
14 years 7 months ago #64297 by Ronney
Your joking! In that case it's hard to see where there's progress. I don't have a cellphone simply because nobody, Telecom or Vodafone, can give coverage where we live. Best they get that sorted first.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 7 months ago #64332 by oskatd
Damn, we have very patchy vodafone coverage, good telecom coverage though..... Any idea what speeds they are talking about being able to get?

More
14 years 7 months ago #64335 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by oskatd

Damn, we have very patchy vodafone coverage

The advantage with these boxes is that you can walk around and find a place on your property where the signal is best. Then you need to run power to that place and plug in a Cordless Phone. Voila, you will have phone service around that area.

For this approach to be viable without undue cost, the place you choose needs to be within 20 or 30 metres of your house. Alternatively, you can run a phone cable back into your house which will get around the distance limitation.

Ideally you would just put the box in your roof (unless it is corrugated iron which would shield the signal) and then run cables down from there. Or maybe put it in a barn or other outbuilding which is not too far from the house and has power available.

Speed is not an issue for the phone service, so long as you have at least 1 or preferably 2 bars of signal.

quote:Originally posted by oskatd

good telecom coverage though..... Any idea what speeds they are talking about being able to get?

In that case you could go for a Hybrid approach, using Telecom for your internet connection via a Data Card, and Vodafone for your phone connection via the wee box.

I have a Telecom Data Card and can get up to 1.4Mbps download speed in the city. Or about 600kbps on our farm. Telecom does have better coverage in rural areas, but unfortunately they don't offer the Free National Toll Calls that the Vodafone box does.

I hope you can make sense of all that Oskatd :)

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds