Fire brick rocks

More
14 years 11 months ago #17408 by Huggiechook
Fire brick rocks was created by Huggiechook
I have a wood burner in my living room that is mainly used to prevent the living room freezing up during the night. It currently doesn't have any fire bricks in it - but I think adding some thermal mass would be very useful. Now I realize that I could just buy some fire bricks but that would cost money:rolleyes: - so the idea popped into my head - that river rocks like those used for Hangi would serve the same purpose. Living close to the Hutt river access to some rocks would not be difficult - the only problem is knowing which ones will be suitable - i.e. wont explode[:0]
Does anybody here have experience / advice on whether my idea is feasible at all and how I would go about identifying the correct type of rock?

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #259193 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Fire brick rocks
Igneous rocks with no cracks... sedimentary ones explode, metamorphic ones explode less often but with more force.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 11 months ago #259195 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Fire brick rocks
Huggie :) i have one (firebrick) for a metro fire .. its at pressent laying on the harth by my fire .. will send it down if you want .. but i guess just one is no good to you :(

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #259227 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Fire brick rocks
Thank Kiwi - what do Igneous rocks look like?

Stu - no dont worry sending a single one :)

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
14 years 11 months ago #259294 by diggs
Replied by diggs on topic Fire brick rocks
You will need resource consent to take rocks from a river. No joke.

Kapiti

More
14 years 11 months ago #259325 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Fire brick rocks
Does my 3 year old son need resource consent for throwing rocks from the bank into the river too ? What if he puts one into his pocket and takes it home? Gasp!

Seriously though - I think at the quantity I am talking (2) I will probably get away without resource consent.

More
14 years 11 months ago #259371 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Fire brick rocks
Igneous tend to be dark and shiny and if they break, they split or shatter rather than crumble. edges are sharp and they do not feel "grainy" or "sandy" to the touch.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
12 years 9 months ago #375052 by atiuchief
Replied by atiuchief on topic Fire brick rocks
In regard to your quote, yes rocks used for Hangi is a great idea and they are special rocks called volcanic rocks. These rocks are much uneven (rough) than river rocks which are smoother. You may find them in the river but most importantly you need to find someone who has experience in locating these rocks, they are naturally better than fired bricks. I know that you will find them in and around Welligton as the city is sitting on a volcanic plateau. Good Luck.

Huggiechook;238176 wrote: I have a wood burner in my living room that is mainly used to prevent the living room freezing up during the night. It currently doesn't have any fire bricks in it - but I think adding some thermal mass would be very useful. Now I realize that I could just buy some fire bricks but that would cost money:rolleyes: - so the idea popped into my head - that river rocks like those used for Hangi would serve the same purpose. Living close to the Hutt river access to some rocks would not be difficult - the only problem is knowing which ones will be suitable - i.e. wont explode[:0]
Does anybody here have experience / advice on whether my idea is feasible at all and how I would go about identifying the correct type of rock?

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds