Horsey people help pls

More
13 years 4 months ago #262328 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Horsey people help pls
I got back on yesterday after adjusting the bridle again and everything was fine.
E is going to hop on Bill today so we will go around together and see how that goes.

We also opened up an adjoining hilly paddock yesterday to give them another perspective of the farm, Bill was most excited, up went the tail and head as only a standardbred can do, Jake did a couple of rounds galloping back and forth.

so neat to see horses being able to run about naturally. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #262377 by max2
back on today and I did some lovely trotting bits with Jake, whilst E and B stood aside and watched quietly.

I am so sure the bridle was the issue the other weekend. Just positive. anyhow my confidence and yearning to ride is back again and tomorrow we will all give it another go.

Just so fun, although I am shattered of an evening and off to bed shortly....

Both are now wearing light rugs too.

More
13 years 4 months ago #262458 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Horsey people help pls
Hey swaggie - great to hear you had a nice ride today - and are aiming for another tomorrow - slow and steady, little and often will win the "race" that is for sure.
My boys are rugged up too - as it's been blinkin' cold up here.... !!!
Sundays :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #262483 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Horsey people help pls
We had one cold night here, and now it's warm again. Has made me realise just how many rugs I have stashed away in the garage.... Still always good to mix and match! :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #262506 by max2
I wasn't going to do it until the builder on the rebuild mentioned that t/breds lose condition quickly in winter and perhaps its time to rug up.
As J came with 2 types of rugs, it was no problem to get the lighter (canvas I think) one on him, and even Billy is wearing a light cottony type too we bought on sale the other week.

How effective are rain sheets? is it more typical to go for a rain sheet rather thicker blankets?

More
13 years 3 months ago #262536 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Horsey people help pls
Hey swaggie good to hear things are better for you and Jake. Bounce was awesome on the weekend and when i rode him on a strange farm with another horse he was perfect!
I got him a cover from sad warehouse that is a waterproof canvas type which is really good and you can put an under rug under it when it gets cold. You are def better off covering them over winter even if its just to cut back on the amount of feed they need...cold horses eat lots :D

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 3 months ago #262610 by sundaysbest
Hi Swaggie - I don't think too much of those rain sheets (as they are made to dry quick).
You'd be best off with a water proof canvas like Devan suggested, then get a cheap jute or something to chuck under it - orrrrrr go with a light synthetic that'll be really waterproof to chuck over the sheet he has on now which will help.
The sooner you rug him up properly with the weather turning the better, as it will get chillier almost daily from now on in and at night especially they will need the rugs (your horse being 16 too should be rugged for sure to keep the cold at bay)... :) Gotta spoil the middle aged :)
Wouldn't hurt to rug up E's pony either... :)
My hack is naked during the day and rugged at night.
Sundays

More
13 years 3 months ago #262642 by max2
Today they both kept their light rugs on and neither seemed worse for wear, apart from B's rug which is definately more mud than white in colour than it was 2 weeks ago....

Ok so what is a Jute?

J has a thicker rug which I thought I would pull on him next month or so, B's I am sure is a thick cotton one, although E begs to differ. got that on special at sad warehouse and its (was) white in colour with blue squares through it. The fellow said it would take B through til May.... so presume an autumn rug?

How do you measure a horse for a rug? B is more solid than J, so its just not a height thing.

More
13 years 3 months ago #262706 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Horsey people help pls
Hey there swaggie ... as a cover addict [:I]I have to admit to not having any rain sheets ... unless you are into competing I can't really see a need for them :rolleyes:and they are useless in more than a light shower ... horse staying here over Christmas hols was saturated under her rain sheet after a decent downpour:rolleyes:

Sizing is usually written on the new covers ie: what size cover for size horse .. and of course they all come in NZ,Aussie, UK, and USA sizing ... N.Z sizing is in feet and inches usually:confused: and just to really confuse you different makes tend to fit different types of horse:confused::confused:[;)] You *WILL* become more experienced as you acquire more covers:eek::eek::eek:
Billy T and Jake would probably be in a 4'9" ---5'0" as a general rule from what I can guess at their breeding and size[;)]
See we are not all really cover addicts ...it is just there is a real need for lots[}:)]

Jute lining is sacking type lining and a good autumn/spring cover inner ..

The *most* important thing with a cover especially in your area where winters are not freezing is a good mid weight that will keep the horses dry and break the wind to stop the chill factor:( ...
Jake being an aged TB will definitely need help to stay warm and keep his weight on[^]

So glad you and E are enjoying the boys now and look forward to hearing lots of progress reports thru' the coming months :)
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
13 years 3 months ago #262734 by sundaysbest
Check out the SW site to learn how to measure a horse - but Terrlee is right, about 4ft9ers for 5footers should be OK... but always pays to check it out - as each horse if different! :)
Sundays

More
13 years 3 months ago #262735 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Horsey people help pls
Swaggie those white ones with the blue squares are a waterproof light canvas and great for this time of the year as they dont sweat up under them during the day but it gives them a bit of warmth at night. This time of the year its a pain in the arse cos its still warm during the day but cold at night so really you should do what sundays does and take cover off in morning and put it on at night! [:0] I don't, but i cant be bothered with it since i have 3 covered horses. You could just get an under rug for later in the year and put it under the white cover which would give warmth. They also do a "in between" rug which is really good, its a light blue synthetic one. Funny i was thinking about it on the way to work this morning and i will clip bounce so that i can keep riding him thru winter and then chuck a thick cover on him. Just keep an eye out for the specials coming up and get on saddlery warehouse mailing list. I'm going to call i on the way home tonight so i'll let you know if there's any good bargins :)

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 3 months ago #262852 by max2
I have had another setback.... we were riding again this afternoon in their home paddock, J seemed a tad less laid back than normal, was pulling at the lead rope on the twine to get off, fortunately there was a lot of give so he wasn't panicking, but definately wasn't planning on staying still as he might usually do. but he was friendly enough and happy for a brush and hoof pick.

I got on and we walked around ok and J seemed quite comfy with his head low on a long rein.
After a few turns of the paddock in walk I decided to try for another nice trot which I got.
We went around again, but this time his head was up (his choice) his ears pricked and when I asked him for a walk, the ears went further back, he threw his head up further and sort of danced low on the spot.

E was stopped on Billy in front, and she still thinks the bridle is too loose. i am riding in a new snaffle bridle, using a bit I was given by the previous owner. As she couldn't supply a full bridle with him, but parts, I wonder if he was being ridden in something else.

e thinks i still have the throatlash too loose. I was taught (but happy to hear otherwise) that the right measurement was to stick my hand in sideways between the horse's cheek and the throatlash, and that was the correct distance to have.

the noseband wasn't tight, but I have it able to get 2 fingers through easily.
there was another strap available that ran through a ''carrier'' on the bridge of the noseband that would normally do up under the bit.

I originally took that small strap out as it was too big and needed another hole or so to be effective.
I have googled to try and find the correct name, however couldn't find anything immediately. E doesn't have one on her bridle, but then she doesn't have a noseband either.
Should I get another hole punched in it and use it again to perhaps assist keeping the bit up in the mouth?

What am i doing wrong? What can I change? I just want to have quiet fun, nothing fast, nothing crazy, just plodding with a nice occasional trot. I could possibly get my confidence back enough to want to canter in spots too, but not at this rate. I felt like I was going to come off again today, but grabbed his mane so I wouldn't pull (if that had been the case before), but there is an issue going on and I don't know what to do.

More
13 years 3 months ago #262854 by max2

devan;242054 wrote: Swaggie those white ones with the blue squares are a waterproof light canvas and great for this time of the year as they dont sweat up under them during the day but it gives them a bit of warmth at night. This time of the year its a pain in the arse cos its still warm during the day but cold at night so really you should do what sundays does and take cover off in morning and put it on at night! [:0] I don't, but i cant be bothered with it since i have 3 covered horses. You could just get an under rug for later in the year and put it under the white cover which would give warmth. They also do a "in between" rug which is really good, its a light blue synthetic one. Funny i was thinking about it on the way to work this morning and i will clip bounce so that i can keep riding him thru winter and then chuck a thick cover on him. Just keep an eye out for the specials coming up and get on saddlery warehouse mailing list. I'm going to call i on the way home tonight so i'll let you know if there's any good bargins :)

many thanks Devan. E is on the mailing list now, but there seems to be a lot to this blanket business.....[8D]

More
13 years 3 months ago #262860 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Horsey people help pls
Swaggie are you talking about the flash strap for the noseband, that turns it from a cavesson to a hanoverian? I wouldn't rely on that to keep your bit in the right place... The bit should hang roughly so there are a couple of wrinkles in the corner of his mouth and so it doesn't hit any teeth. Lots of people like them low in the idea that the horse then has to carry the bit, others like them tighter so that the horse doesn't have to carry the bit. I can't see that it would have anything much to do with his behaviour. Sounds to me like he's pushing his luck to see what he can get away with, and that you need some professional help before he takes control of the situation.... Am sure Glopony will be along with some helpful advice!

More
13 years 3 months ago #262862 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Horsey people help pls
Can you take a picture of Jake in his bridle swaggie?
If he was comfortable in the same bridle last time you rode him and had a good time riding him I am thinking his bridle isn't an issue.:confused: Was there any dirt under the browband or behind his ears making him fidget?
Have you got a martingale you can use on him to stop the head tossing?
If he was a bit stirred up before you hopped up could be he was just having a blond moment [}:)]... blasted horses do that sometimes:rolleyes:
It is hard to know what is up from cyberville but it is still really early days and you sound to be making steady prgress [^]...
If there is someone handy you could get to come and give you and E a joint lesson I reckon that would be great for giving you something to work on with the riding plus you can get everything that you are unsure of (gear fit etc etc) sorted then too ... Even just one lesson could give you a heap of confidence to go on with and really isn't overly expensive as a one off treat :D :D :D I use to love getting a private lesson from an Instructor (tho" my bum and thighs would complain at times[:I][:0]) they just have such a knack of seeing problems and the knowedge of what to do to fix them :)
Let us know how you get on ... and don't give up cos' of a little hiccup ... you will all be flying round soon enough[;)]
Cheers
P.S; I do hope you are not getting the cover/horse rug addiction too:rolleyes:[}:)] :p

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds