Horsey people help pls

More
13 years 4 months ago #259998 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Horsey people help pls
Yay you! nice one, and very brave too - bugger about the gloves. I hear ya about some people being really inconsiderate. unfortunately at these things you can't be fussy about who you ride out with..... Am guessing that bounce is all recovered from his gate incident!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #260077 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Horsey people help pls
Woohoo! Well done! :D

Looks like the full on "immersion therapy" worked eh? I agree with keeping him going out in company now. It'll help cement the new attitude.

There are some idjits out there eh! [:(!] Glad she didn't ruin it for you.

More
13 years 4 months ago #260104 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Horsey people help pls
congrats neighbour!

More
13 years 4 months ago #260105 by max2
psst I don't have a photo but will post when I do on the new arrival. I see M's horse is back, did you take it for company?

More
13 years 4 months ago #260208 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Horsey people help pls
Nope I think he was there the whole time...maybe in a different paddock that you couldn't see? Can we at least have some details on the new horse pleeeeeease :)
Will definately try and keep up the riding with other horses (hint hint swaggie) and have arranged with the guy down the rd to ride at least once a week with him, i am going to try the hackamore on him this week so will just be working him in a small paddock at home for a while until we suss that out

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 4 months ago #260326 by max2
righto, can I post on the back of your thread? I have another issue I want to discuss as well re the horses....

More
13 years 4 months ago #260392 by devan
Absolutely....jump on in mate :D

I tried the hackamore last night, just in a small area, worked on turning and walk to halt, trot to walk. So far i am really impressed, it took the lightest touch to stop him, and he picked up the turning really well. Of course nothing else was happening to get him worked up and we were both really relaxed. I will take him into a bigger (but still small paddock)tonight and do so more of the same. Totally different style of riding tho...i think it will be harder for me to make the change than him [;)]

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 4 months ago #260520 by max2
Well my first news is I have a horse.... 16.1 hands 16YO TB (yes I can hear your groans people) chesnut gelding. I am happy with my purchase as a paddock hack.

He arrived on Sat arvo and he and billy have become the best of mates. Literally.

E and i rode together in their paddock yesterday for 10 minutes or so very successfully, and if you are familiar with my previous posts, E was very nervous and not willing to go on her own despite extensive teaching since she was 5... but she had a great time.

today being my 2nd day of riding Jake, he was fine and we took both of them down the back paddock to keep everyone's interest in, and Jake after a couple of rounds of walking the trotting track remains, decided he wanted to have a hissy.

I blame SOH a bit because he thought Jake's bridle was too tight on the bit and let it down a drop which pulled it into an obvious angle each side of the head when JW was being corrected.

In the end, as Jake wasn't happy having his head kept low, he chucked his hissy, I dismounted in concern for E on billy beside us, and Jake took off down the track whilst I helped E with Billy.

I caught JW just a few metres down the track without an issue and I am sure if Billy wasn't there JW would have gone back up front and up the track and out, with the main gateway to our house lot still open....

so tomorrow E and I are going to do the same again, but in their home paddock.

failing that, my plan is to lunge JW into some sort of exhaustion or exercised state so I can just walk alongside E and billy. Perhaps it was too much to expect, and he wasn't happy with me lowering his head as I was taught to do with naughty horses. Perhaps its a learning curve for both of us.

My other question is I bought both of us an air gel saddle cloth type thingo. both of our horses after the first very gentle walking ride were sweating extensively thereafter, and I feel we are not using the right saddle cloth underneath.

any thoughts?

More
13 years 4 months ago #260540 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Horsey people help pls
Swaggie - I want to scream! Have you bought this horse or are you trialing it and what is it's background? A 16 year old TB having a hissy fit? I am going to lunge him to exhaustion? Are you serious? "Lowering his head as I was taught to do with naughty horses". Are you kidding?

Have you owned a TB before? I am sitting here with my mouth open that you got a horse on Saturday and you are pushing an obviously, for him, demanding outline as punishment when to my mind you should be cruising around with him even if his head is stuck out on right angles. What bit are you riding him in?

Is there any chance you have been told a whole load of crap about what this boy has been doing over the past whatever and in reality, he has been hooning around unridden, enjoying the life of Riley?

I said on a previous thread that all horses that come on to my property are given time out and time to bond with you new owner. I have a 10 year old TB here that was raced for 6 years and you do NOT ride him from the mouth but from the leg and even then - no way in the world would his "hissy" fit be anything more than a head and tail shake. What is the hurry to get E and now your horse going? I must be missing something obviously and despite this coming out as a critisism, it is because I know how long you have wanted this and want to try and help. I just want you to slow down and listen to the horses, your daughter and take time out for fun. You just come across as so determined to get E back on a horse and it doesn't make sense to me to add to her fear with you having a horse that isn't totally relaxed and cruising at this stage. Is he so unfit that he could not do the back paddock without having a problem? What happens when he is fit?

More
13 years 4 months ago #260566 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Horsey people help pls
Sorry swaggie but I agree with Didi ... I think you reallly are rushing things and it will all turn to custard if you are not careful and E could well be off horses for life ...
You do not need to keep their (Billy and Jakes) interest in at this stage ... apart from anything their interest will be busy in getting to know their new surrounding, their new Mums and paddock mate. For now stick to both you and E gaining confidence in the small paddock they know ... if you want to create interest get something to make a course for them to walk or trot around ...poles, barrels or whatever is handy that can make obstacles to be navigated but do not go any further until you are all trusting and confident (horses and you and E):):):)
I don't want to be critical either but it was only your 2nd day with Jake ...you owe it to yourself ,E and Jake and Billy to really do the ground work to make the wonderful relationship you so want with your daughter and horses:):)
Good Luck and please do not think I am getting at you but *slow down* a bit and enjoy the journey:)
Cheers
P.s; the sweating is probably just unfit horseys or that they are a bit too wound up and excited as that will make a horse sweat up real quick.

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
13 years 4 months ago #260575 by devan
I too would tend to take it slow for a wee while, i understand that you wanted to get E out and about more but you have to also think about your own safety. What was Jake doing when he had his hissy fit? was he just excited or did he put on a full on performance?
Re those gel pads....alot of people have commented that their horses sweat excessively under them, i prefer a sheepskin one personally. You know that i am happy to help out any way i can aye mate? Just give me a yell :D
Bounce went really well again last night in the hackamore and i'm going to take him down the tanker track tonight so that should be interesting [:0]

More
13 years 4 months ago #260633 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Horsey people help pls
Well I'm sorry swaggie, I'm not really up on the play with your situation BUT pulling naughty horses heads down is really not the way to get the result you want.

I take the reins right off the bridle altogether if any of my students start "fiddling" or being obsessive about their horse's head position! Learn to ride with your seat & leg & both of you will be much happier. Walk around the house with your chin on your chest for 10 minutes & you'll get an idea of what you're putting the horse through when you ask him for the same thing. I'd have a hissy fit too!

You will NEVER lunge the horse to exhaustion! Horses are built for stamina & he'll go all day & then he'll STILL have a hissy if you upset him.

If you're concerned about where the bit is sitting in the horse's mouth, put the bridle on & pull his lips back at the side of his mouth so you can actually see where the bit is sitting. It should be well clear of his teeth & should be wide enough that it doesn't pinch the corners of his mouth. Also consider the shape of his mouth. Does he have a nice deep palate or is it quite shallow so he looks like he's got a big mouthful with the bit in?

I agree with others that you haven't had him long & should give him time to settle in & get to know you. I don't get on anything until it's been here a week.

I agree it sounds like you're going to be on quite a learning curve! LISTEN to what the horse tells you & pay attention. He'll be your best teacher. If he's tense or having a hissy, ask yourself what it is that YOU are doing to cause him to react this way & see if you can make him more comfortable so he doesn't feel the need to react. Please don't blame the horse!

Give him time & perhaps arrange some lessons for the pair of you so you can get some communication happening. Congrats on your new horse! :D

More
13 years 4 months ago #260727 by devan
Well i rode bounce down the tanker track last night in the hackamore and he was good as gold. We trotted all the way back and he kept wanting to break into a canter but stayed trotting when i touched the reins to bring him back. It is such a different way of riding! I'm finding it really bizare not having contact on his mouth and quite scary really tho bounce seems to like it and is nice and relaxed. My question is... has anyone used these before on a horse that you have to "control" as such? I haven't had him in a situation where he's being silly yet and am scared that when it happens i won't be able to stop him. I could go and ride with the guy down the rd again cos that will get him going but i'm gonna be packing myself about it! There is another 2 day trek at easter that i would like to do but again will i be able to "control" him if he performs like last time?

More
13 years 4 months ago #260739 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Horsey people help pls
What sort of hackamore? Some of them can be stronger than many bits.
Yes have used them and had great control on silly horses, however, if you are inclined to 'grab' at the reins when your horse starts being silly then I suggest you practice a lot more before you use one somewhere where your horse might get silly.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 4 months ago #260764 by devan
Ummm i dunno what sort, i'll take a picture. I put extra holes in the part with the curb chain so i could loosen it more and put a sheepskin on it because i was told you shouldn't have it tight. Yes i am used to grabbing at the reins when the shite hits the fan :D and am finding this a whole different experiance because you cant do that. I think i may need some lessons

Time to create page: 0.249 seconds