Horsey people help pls

More
13 years 4 months ago #259087 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Horsey people help pls
go steady Girl on the cream!

Billy is getting a paddock mate on Sat arvo....[;)] :) and I have been saddle shopping....

E is in the local production for Fri and Sat x 2, do you want me to come over on Sunday at all? I dunno what to do, perhaps swear a bit or something?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #259103 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Horsey people help pls
What have I missed Swaggie? Which, what horse are you getting and is it on trial or have you bought it?

Devon - laughed out loud about your comment with the Karva Calm. Don't you dare! Anything more than using it as a lip gloss would have you off the planet! Suck the tube...JEEZ!

More
13 years 4 months ago #259121 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Horsey people help pls
Lol yes swaggie whats the details please on the new horse!!!!
Didi what about if i just have a little wee suck on da tube? No? ok i'll take some vodka, that should do the trick [;)] :D
Swaggie the trek is this weekend so thanks for the offer but i reckon i'll just have to take my chances, i rode him down the rd last night and his leg seems fine, he performed like a twat cos cedar came up to the fence to say hi and that was oh so exciting (honestly.... and i thought i needed to get out more!), gee i wish you could have got cedar, he is sooooo fat and looks to me like he'll founder any minute if he already hasn't, his front feet looked sore when he was trotting up the fenceline, i may have to risk ringing them again :(

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 4 months ago #259125 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Horsey people help pls
Devan if you google Andrew Mclean you will find him. Can't say I agree with everything he does, and don't want to start a debate, but a few of his methods I find very useful. Jody Hartstone uses his method and she has just won the Dressage horse of the year, so it obviously works for her. Their way of stopping bucking is a bit of a last resort, but it seems to work. The website has a fair bit of info, so you might find it there....

More
13 years 4 months ago #259143 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Horsey people help pls
Crikey devan! I hope he's o.k. I know of several horses who have completely buggered themselves doing that very thing. I ALWAYS make sure I open gates extra wide when leading horses through & I also make sure I watch them as they come through so I can pre-empt any potential hang ups. I'm quite paranoid about this, I must admit!

The McLean method isn't actually HIS (many other old horsemen have been operating by these philosophies & techniques long before he was even born) but his 'deleting behaviours' (as he calls it) technique for bucking is effective. A well timed one rein stop is just as effective however & doesn't require a huge amount of skill to enact.

From what you have said, he gets excited in a group & wants to go. If you don't allow him to go forward, he has to send that pent up energy somewhere else so he'll either buck to release it or if you're holding too tight to the front end; rear. Excitement = stress & stressed horses HAVE to move. Your options are to either eliminate the stress / excitement in the first place (with a calmer or reschooling so he's more relaxed in a lot of company) or give him an alternative to release all that energy. Bear in mind too that the physical energy is just a reflection of the mental energy he is producing. Get his brain calm & his body will follow.

How is his lateral work? If he starts to get tizzy, quietly give him something difficult to do like leg yielding or anything else that he has to REALLY think about (lots of changes of rein / transitions, etc on a circle or little bit detached from the main group of horses). If you can burn up that mental energy before it becomes physical, you'll solve the problem even easier. [;)]

It sounds as though you've made some progress anyway; good on you! :D

I would be VERY concerned that he may have done some unseen damage to his back, hip or pelvis though. It would be prudent to get him thoroughly checked before the big ride. Lee Smith is down your way & is very good.

More
13 years 4 months ago #259169 by max2

devan;238126 wrote: Lol yes swaggie whats the details please on the new horse!!!!

Will post separately after Saturday..... but Ï am excited!

More
13 years 4 months ago #259170 by max2
all the best for the weekend though Devan! I believe a few of the locals out the back are also going. Most went to school with SOH and if you could hear some of the nicknames (well 1 in particular) for one of the husband's and how he got the name.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :D [;)]

More
13 years 4 months ago #259172 by cowmad
Replied by cowmad on topic Horsey people help pls
yep good luck devan, just make sure you pal up with someone on a very reliable horse BEFORE you move off and hopefully he will take an example off him. Keep well away from anything that looks a bit nutty. a leadrope round his neck would be a good idea too, then if it all gets too much your said friend could lead from their horse for a while leaving you only to worry about hanging on. You will have a ball probably from the 3rd hour in. Make sure you have photos for us all too please.

More
13 years 4 months ago #259809 by max2
Howja go?

More
13 years 4 months ago #259912 by devan
Wow what an awesome weekend! I ache in places i didnt even know i had! [:0] Bounce was terrible on the saturday.... we were all assembled in a group waiting to go and another horse nutted so off he went. Full height rears (on the side of the hill no less) and stag leaping, bucking the full works, i was ready to get off and flag the whole idea quite frankly. We started off and he just bucked and bolted and pulled and behaved like a complete twat everytime anyone came near us. After about an hour he settled a bit and wasn't too bad as long as no one trotted past or anything. After 3 hours he settled pretty well-again as long as no one trotted or cantered past, which one particular chick insisted on doing on a regular basis until i threatened to punch her lights out! (i asked her nicely not to 3 times before i lost my rag at her). He was pretty good after 5 hours [:0] tho by this stage my hands were bleeding (forgot to take gloves duh) and we managed to walk on a loose rein for the last half an hour.
Sunday morning i was packing myself and really didn't want to go, i was sore all over and not a happy camper....he was perfect! We assembled with the others and all he wanted to do was eat grass, we set off and he walked on a loose rein, trotted when asked, cantered without bucking and was a dream to ride. Sunday we only rode for 3 hours which was perfect and me bits weren't as sore as sat :p I really enjoyed sunday and i think he did too, he was keen but not silly.

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 4 months ago #259928 by devan
Oh and Swaggie i had a look and cant find anything on here about your new horse! Give me a yell if you need a hand to float him/her :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #259929 by cowmad
Replied by cowmad on topic Horsey people help pls
Well done ,[^][^][^] when's the next one now? youre on a roll keep going![;)][;)] pees ya off big time when other people are totally oblivious to other people having difficulties. I reckon you did very well to ask 3 times.Was she young or just bluddy thick?

More
13 years 4 months ago #259930 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Horsey people help pls
Well done Devon! Let's hope this whole weekend has been a major learning curve for Bounce as well and he now knows that he can have fun without throwing a wobbly. Hope you have a bath and managed a long soak!

More
13 years 4 months ago #259939 by devan
Cowmad i think she was just an ignorant cow actually. Most people were very considerate and i completely understood when someone was having "control issues" and came barreling past but this chick was asking her horse to canter which was dangerous and inconsiderate.
Didi i really hope that he has learnt a lesson, he certainly seemed o have figured it out on sunday, i'll just have to make sure i keep riding with other horses on a regular basis (look out swaggie [;)]). I looked up that Andrew Mclean stuff and will give that a go to deal with the bucking which was definately an issue on saturday but didn't happen at all on sunday. The other thing is that a couple of people suggested a hackamore on him. I have one at home that i've never used, what have been other people experiances with them?

More
13 years 4 months ago #259995 by NZ Appaloosas
Well done, devan, and I'm glad you had some enjoyable times to weigh out against the not-so-enjoyable. Most horses just need mileage under them to get things sorted.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.295 seconds