Horsey people help pls

More
13 years 3 months ago #262878 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Horsey people help pls
Yes, sorry if I sounded a bit negative, but having had a young horse I know how tricky it can be, and if you aren't boss then he will be! Like Leonie says, a lesson is always good as it gives you something to focus on and will sort out any other issues with your gear etc etc. Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #262882 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Horsey people help pls
Happy to give the photo a go...

No I don't have a martingale but at the same time, i don't have the knowledge to use one either.

I said to E today that I reckon we need professional help, but I know enough to know we are not about to win NZ gold medals, we both just want to plod and have fun plodding about our land.

But we want our horses to be happy, well and right. If I am not right for Jake, then so be it, but I think overall he is great, its these little moments we need to sort and move on. sometimes instructors don't have patience for that, only for gold medalists or pony club supremos. Neither E or I want to be that. Yet......[8D]

More
13 years 3 months ago #262884 by max2

oskatd;242195 wrote: Swaggie are you talking about the flash strap for the noseband, that turns it from a cavesson to a hanoverian? I wouldn't rely on that to keep your bit in the right place... The bit should hang roughly so there are a couple of wrinkles in the corner of his mouth and so it doesn't hit any teeth. Lots of people like them low in the idea that the horse then has to carry the bit, others like them tighter so that the horse doesn't have to carry the bit. I can't see that it would have anything much to do with his behaviour. Sounds to me like he's pushing his luck to see what he can get away with, and that you need some professional help before he takes control of the situation.... Am sure Glopony will be along with some helpful advice!

Yep I have googled flash strap (thankyou) and that is the part I took off because it wasn't short enough to be effective but very loose.

yes Jake has a couple of winkles where the bit sits, but this arvo he was playing with the bit a lot in his mouth still, even with it higher than last week, so is this the problem still?

More
13 years 3 months ago #262895 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Horsey people help pls
Hi Swaggie, you won't need a flash on your bridle for the type of riding you do - (I ride like E does, with no noseband at all).. but you are fine to use a noseband! A flash is designed purely to keep their gobs shut and to help stop them chomping on the bit! That's it.

Hmm, now a pic would be good so we can give our opinions. Post up if you can.

Also, yes what you have said re measuring the bridle, ie: handspan from cheek to cheek strap and two fingers loose for the nose band etc is fine.. the bit should have roughly a couple of wrinkles in the lips/side of mouth when in correctly.

Has he had his teeth done at all / lately? Once they hit about 15 yrs, they usually need doing more like 9-12months, than 12months. Just a thought?!?

Horses are like us, they all have good days and bad!

I'm wondering, can you feed a handful of chaff or something each evening (would work out cost effective!) just as a top up, bonding opportunity, regularity... plus some sliced up apple in and a spoonful of cause-mag (Magnesium) from farm supply shop. Might help. Grass has been flush with the recent rain, then sunshine.

Just thinking out loud here - hope you get something from it!!

Sundays

More
13 years 3 months ago #262900 by max2
Hi Sundays.... we have an orchard so both horses benefited from the fallout of apples, and now chestnuts as a little something every now and then.

funny after posting, my delightful farrier calls.... I hear you have another horse... so I pour my bits out to him what has happened, and he is coming on Friday to check out the feet and we both agree the dentist is in order.

s will check out the bridle as well as he is interested in the overall aspects, and then someone who referrred me to S calls, nah it wasn't me but....

how big/small is the LSB ring here?

More
13 years 3 months ago #262966 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Horsey people help pls
Hi swaggie, didn't you put them in another paddock the other day? Maybe too mush fresh grass is part of the problem? I have a running martingale that you are welcome to borrow and i will show you how to fit and use it if you like, theres not alot of harm you can do with one of them and it will help keep the head down. Oh also i'll give you some magnesium which helps take the "sillyness" out of them".

I went to sad warehouse yesterday and brought a shires "in between" cover. The girl reckons they are far superior to the other ones (who's name escapes me at the mo) and i must admit it was a nice fit. I got the 4ft 9 and that was quite roomy so i think that would be fine for your guys.
Later when it gets cold i'll put an under rug under it and it will pretty much do all the seasons except summer :) Cost me $149 which is a bit dearer than some of the other ones but she reckoned it was well worth it, time will tell i guess

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 3 months ago #263025 by NZ Appaloosas
You may also want to consider lunging him before getting on for a ride...if he's young and energetic, the sort of riding you're doing may not be burning off enough, and he could just be chock-full of "mum, c'mon let's GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 3 months ago #263028 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Horsey people help pls
That's is quite a good idea, the lunging. It's a good way to build a bond and teach him some voice comands. It'll help with his energy, but I have found that you can never wear a horse out, it's better to focus their brains and to teach them to be obedient so you can control the speed of their legs. That is why ground work is so important....

More
13 years 3 months ago #263029 by NZ Appaloosas
No, not wear him out, just take the edge off, and plus help get him to focus. Kind of like giving kids form room time to settle into the idea of being at school in the AM rather than just throwing them straight into a test once the first bell rings :D

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 3 months ago #263032 by drifter
Replied by drifter on topic Horsey people help pls
I agree with getting the teeth checked and a few lessons.
If I could do it over I'd get way more lessons early on to help with stuff I didn't even know I needed help with :)

A bit of help with fresh eyes is exactly what you need right now.

I'd recommend Trisha Wren or Jenny Patterson to give you the help you need on and off the horse. You can google them.

It's possible that Trisha would come to you. I doubt Jenny could fit you in unless you traveled to one of her sessions.
Or you could chat to Glopony I don't know if she gives lessons but you could ask....

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

More
13 years 3 months ago #263066 by max2
Our Builders kindly offered to look today how I had things set up, both are experienced horsemen, so I set up the bridle and saddle as I had it yesterday.

The bridle settings are fine, so no worries there. However I have the saddle too far forward and although I had the girth just (roughly) behind the legs, our main man suggested it needs to go further back. the other thought the other new position was too far back, esp for the girth.

There is plenty of room underneath the saddle, but they both feel overall the saddle is too small. I bought a large to Xlarge gullet in the Status range.....

So tomorrow when S comes, I will show him and get his opinion. both thought J very quiet....:o both rubbed him over looking for hot spots etc, the only negative bit is a crack in his hoof which S will see tomorrow.

also bought them (the horses, not the builders) a mineral block today as Billy was eating J's poo on the weekend. Yukko.

both Gents feel the pasture is right though. ...

Devan, yes we opened up an adjoining bit to their paddock a couple of days ago. its about 1/2 acre extra, I didn't go in there with J, just stuck to the main part.....

Oh, both suggested lunging with full tack as well...... they suggested J could just be trying it on.

More
13 years 3 months ago #263096 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic Horsey people help pls
Yeah give him a wee lunge before riding, but I'm still not an advocate of something so boring and round in circles for an older horse... he should know better, but in saying that, my lad, now 20 (bless!) when I got him at 15yrs tried me on for 12 months before I got the fact he was taking the micky out of me! haha!!! So.... let us know how you go!!!
New grass even a small amount may give them the yahoo's for sure, so bare in mind any slight changes you make can result in behaviour changes in them.

Oh and go on, post up a pic of your lovely boys and E for us!!! Go on!!! :)
Sundays :)

More
13 years 3 months ago #263189 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Horsey people help pls
Yes please ....a pic of these *hooligans* [:0][;)] hehehehe ... everything does sound on track swaggie[^]
BTW you don't need any knowledge with a martingale (running) just fit it correctly and it'll do the work for you .... I had real issues with Mo ...my 5 year old home bred but proffessionally broken at 2 1/2 she is still very green due to me concentrating on my other filly same age and broken at same time (who has since had half share sold)... anyway Mo was basically turned out once broken in for over a year and half [:0]... bringing her back into work she was tossing her head something horrible ... I changed bits, adjusted the bridle, changed bits again, more bridle adjusting:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: .. I thought she was having sore head/ear/back:confused: problem ... I then put a running martingale on her and voila ...prob solved :p well more or less but very much improved[^].
Also swaggie ... regarding getting instruction :) .. it has nothing to do with getting ready for gold medal olympic riding (well it can be:rolleyes:) it is just that you would be amazed what an hour under someones tutoring will do to benefit you, E , Billy and Jake in just everyday riding ... really really gives you plenty to think about, work on and the confidence level will just soar ... I remember the hassel E had with instructors over the ditch but a one on one (well two with you too) on her own horse could well just be the turning point and as a one off really isn't that expensive[}:)] well worth thinking about[;)]
Now where is that piccie???? :D
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
13 years 3 months ago #263201 by LittleLSB
Replied by LittleLSB on topic Horsey people help pls
As a totally novice rider I'm going to jump in here with a bit "thumbs up" for riding schools.

A friend and I started riding as adults last winter. She had ridden a little as a child until she got chucked off and rolled on at about age 11 and I had been violently allergic to horses as a child and over-the-counter antihistamines weren't readily available then.

We've been going out riding religiously once a week and we pursuaded our instructor to run a "school holiday" adult riding week in January where we rode every morning for a week. Its fun and relaxed and our instructor is just brilliant. She's perfectly happy that we just want to become competent riders who can happily go out on hacks etc. We've done some naturaly horsemanship stuff, a bit of low jumping, we go out on hacks. She has us riding without stirrups, we did ages of riding without a bridle - just a rope halter and a lead rope.

She taught us to use a quarter yield as an emergency stop. Recently in foul weather my horse got a bit frisky and I was thrilled when I remembered to keep my cool and used the quarter yeild to get him back under control. I could tell by the look on the instructors face that she was pretty chuffed that I managed that too. [^]

We generally ride the same horses which has meant we've built a relationship with "our" horses but every now and again she makes us ride something different which is good. Most of all its fun. We spend a lot of time in fits of giggles :D

We're now trying to master the canter - my friend is better at it than me at the moment [:I]

Before I started the lessons my impression of riding schools were much the same as Swaggies - that it would be stuffy and aimed towards "serious" riding, but that absolutely has not been my experience, although I know that if I suddenly wanted to get all shiny-boots serious my instructor could take me there too.

I'd better go and get some work done as I have a riding lesson this afternoon! [8D]

More
13 years 3 months ago #263244 by monkeydo
Replied by monkeydo on topic Horsey people help pls
Oh I'm jealous - that sounds like fun.

I'm in the same boat as you - an novice adult but still wanting to fulfill a fantasy of one day being a confident rider and maybe having my own horse.

I want to get lessons but need to get a bit fitter first and then am hoping that it won't be stuffy as I just want to be a happy hacker - I'm no Mark Todd wannabe!

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds