Anti-virus

More
15 years 4 months ago #17347 by oskatd
Anti-virus was created by oskatd
My norton is about to expire, and I don't intend to renew it. Some am wondering what is the best free antivirus (AVG??) and where to down load it from? Do I need to wait for the old to expire?
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #258340 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Anti-virus
NOD32 is the best on the market bar none! :D And make sure to fully get rid of Norton when you're finished with it and see how much Norton has been slowing down your computer [:(!]

Run it in conjunction with Adaware and Spybot (which are both free) and there is very little that will get through.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
15 years 4 months ago #258342 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Anti-virus
For free, there is also Avast!

Have a read here

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
15 years 4 months ago #258351 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Anti-virus
I have used www.free-av.com for nearly a decade now, with great happiness...I have yet to get a virus, it updates itself daily, and just quietly works in the background--no waiting for something to be scanned every time you open it (especially if it is something you typed up yourself). Can't recommend it highly enough.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 4 months ago #258362 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Anti-virus
Avast, that's the one I've had before. Thanks everyone. I already have adaware. Does anyone know if I have to uninstall Norton first or can I download avast and then uninstall Norton. I am not very up on these things!

More
15 years 4 months ago #258366 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic Anti-virus
I was talking with a computer boffin recently and found his thoughts on anti-virus quite interesting:

- Norton is terrible, and you should uninstall it before trying to do anything else. It also hasn't had proper "real" updates in four years (so he says, and it would seem to be the case after doing some checking).
- AVG Free is good but he says if you're downloading movies, music etc from online, you should be paying for good quality virus protection, paying no more than $100 a year (some options are cheaper) - experts are paid to update it daily because new viruses are being invented daily, and it's a good service for very little money.
His top 3 - McAfee , Nod32 (the one he uses) and Kaspersky

I found that really interesting, so I hope it's useful.

More
15 years 4 months ago #258370 by Organix
From past experience if something is free it's either worth exactly that and/or you're going to pay for it as part of the overall deal.

NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
15 years 4 months ago #258376 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Anti-virus
Er Organix [:0] .... this web site is FREE [}:)]

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
15 years 4 months ago #258453 by Organix

spoook;237314 wrote: Er Organix [:0] .... this web site is FREE [}:)]

And very much a two way exchange of information which may or may not be reliable in many cases.

More
15 years 4 months ago #258454 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Anti-virus
I am with NZ Appaloosas , i have been using AVG for about 6 years now ( have the update daily set,and have upgraded every time newer verssion comes out, always for free) never had a virus ... i wont change from AVG

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
15 years 4 months ago #258532 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Anti-virus
Stu - I have been using AVG as well and was quite pleased to see this topic come up as I am looking to change. One of the reasons is that I downloaded Malwarebytes and did a scan in Safe mode and guess what - trojans x 4. I knew something wasn't 100% right with my computer but it was still functioning without too much at issue. Just not so confident of AVG now and fed up to the back teeth with Resident shield popping up all the time. If you have removed the threat (cookie) - do you have to tell me? Just get on with it. laugh

More
15 years 4 months ago #258549 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Anti-virus
Well, I have uninstalled Norton and got Avast. I can't believe how much quicker the computer is going - am sitting looking around the room waiting and just like that it's done. Yay!

More
15 years 4 months ago #258562 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic Anti-virus

Organix;237307 wrote: From past experience if something is free it's either worth exactly that and/or you're going to pay for it as part of the overall deal.

I've seen more viruses slip thru' on computers that had Nortons or McAfees. In fact, last time I had to cope with a virus problem that McAfee's let thru', it crashed the entire network, blew the bios, and cost me, my husband and an IT tech friend over 12 hours of hard work to bring the network back into operation (nothing like leaving for work 2 hours before you're due to go in).

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 4 months ago #258569 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Anti-virus
:) oskatd .. nortons always slows a computer down sooooo much ... i learnt the hard way to :(

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
15 years 4 months ago #258577 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Anti-virus
I have Quick Heal Antivirus Plus .... its not free but works fantastically!

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds