German Shepherds

More
15 years 1 month ago #258574 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic German Shepherds
Not to take anything away from the main topic here but I Googled your dog Stu wondering what they are and found this advertised. Sounds like an awesome read so passing the info on.

www.te.co.nz/Books-Reading/Other-Books/A...1-100_ad-4217657.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #258618 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic German Shepherds
:) thanks Didi :) will look into that :) .. yes looks good

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #258634 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic German Shepherds
Saw the program now in reply.
I was not aware of that it was ok to breed father-daughter and sibblings still in some countries KC's!
And as they say a breed is out of a restrictd/limited material.
For instance all GS are out of the old breedbook created by max von stephanitz,
a breeding pool that is just a handfull dogs.
Guess this goes for all breeds from the beginning except for the fact that other species of animals breed betwen the strongest and best material,,here we do breed the one that has a restricted way of looks.
The KC guy they did interview, he sounded as if he has been away for many years,,or even his entire life,,he made it sound as if all this was news to him.

More
15 years 1 month ago #258756 by moonshiner
Replied by moonshiner on topic German Shepherds
Not sure vitamin C is the answer for hip problems in any dog, as you probably know dogs create their own vit C and although supplementary doses can show improvements for dogs with arthritis or displasia it has long term effects such as liver/kidney damage and skeletal isorder in some breeds

The funny thing is the majority of hip/joint problems are with dogs of German origin, German Shephards, Dobermans, Rottweilers...must be a connection somewhere

You will have a lot fewer problems when you work your dog hard rather than taking it for walk or two a day so the enviromental aspect of a dogs life is more important than anything else IMHO :rolleyes:

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

More
15 years 1 month ago #258823 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic German Shepherds
I think thats one of the problems moonshiner, is getting people to realise that lots of exercise is a no-no for young growing bones, also the desexing of very young animals affects the bone as well.

As to the German connection, yes with the Breed Wardens being the ones with a big stick & people can only breed with their approval, plus the BW have the right to say how many & which pup/s will stay

More
15 years 1 month ago #258837 by poaka
Replied by poaka on topic German Shepherds
As you all point out breeders have a lot to answer for.. GS's are bad enough but what about Boxers.. we had a big strong bitch in England 40 years ago and now look at the square headed rats that they show now

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

More
15 years 1 month ago #258897 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic German Shepherds

Kalmara;237809 wrote: I think thats one of the problems moonshiner, is getting people to realise that lots of exercise is a no-no for young growing bones, also the desexing of very young animals affects the bone as well.

As to the German connection, yes with the Breed Wardens being the ones with a big stick & people can only breed with their approval, plus the BW have the right to say how many & which pup/s will stay

how do you check if desexing/desexing too early does anything to hips&elbows?
where do you find the material for this since dogs being desxxed normaly don't get h&e scored?

I find things like this very interesting , espescially since it is so large cultural differences in this with desexxing or not and also if b-tches gets bladder problem more frequently when being desexxed.

where I come fom almost no one would ever think the thought of desexxing unless the dog has a sickness.
but would that make their dogs having better h&e result if compared with desexxed dogs? would never get to know since desexxed dogs hardly ever get h&e done,,am I right or am I wrong? :)

More
15 years 1 month ago #258963 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic German Shepherds
Heista google is your friend :) there's heaps of info on how early desexing can lead to all sorts of problems.
Both dogs & bitches can have issues with incontinence after having being desexed.
Some breeders will ensure that a whole litter is scored, even if they are desexed.
Theres an article in NZ Dog World this month on how raw fed dogs have better hips/elbows

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds