German Shepherds

More
13 years 3 months ago #17328 by sod
German Shepherds was created by sod
Did anyone else see Sunday prgamme about show dogs in the UK. Is it just us or others that thought the GS dogs looked nothing like ones here. More like cripples, We were very upset by the programme and didn't think it happened here or does it?

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #257986 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic German Shepherds
Sod, if you are talking about their rear ends pretty much dragging on the ground then, yes, they breed them like that in NZ .
My BIL bought a beautiful reg. bitch from a BOP breeder a few years back and as soon as I saw her I knew her rear end was stuffed. She was put to sleep at around 3 years old. Arthritis was so bad she turned nasty on certain people & couldnt be trusted :-(

• maggies mum
13 years 3 months ago #257987 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic German Shepherds
Could even be worse??? Very limited gene pool!

More
13 years 3 months ago #258000 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic German Shepherds
Oh thats so sad. i am glad I didn't see it. There was alot of talk on talkback though the day after about all these breeders who interbreed and how so many of the pups were buggerd from it.

More
13 years 3 months ago #258001 by LittleLSB
Replied by LittleLSB on topic German Shepherds
Yes, IMO the ones here do have over-exaggerated rear angulation - I've seen show pups who's back legs look like they're knitting socks when they move.

Another alarm bell with GSD and other breeds is small litter sizes - litters of 2-3 pups are now common in breeds that used to regularly spit out 10+ pups in a litter.

I was shocked to hear of a GSD breeder who had a bitch who wouldn't mate. He took her to the vet who discovered that she had some problems which meant that she couldn't physically receive the male dog so the owner insisted that the vet AI her, even though the vet let him know that she would need a cesarian delivery. She had only two pups by cesar, the breeder kept the bitch pup to breed from....

Artificial insemination is a great tool for introducing new blood into gene pools, especially because in NZ some breeds have very small numbers, however, when extreme lengths are gone to to breed animals that would otherwise not be able to, there is a very real risk of increasing fertility problems. Fertility by its very nature should be geneitc! Unfortunately by-passing natures checks and balances can have negative effects which are overlooked when people feel compelled to continue a certain line of breeding at any cost.

Unfortunately people think that pups with an NZKC pedigree have some sort of guarantee of health and quality and every breeder will tell you that buying a pedigree pup means that "you know what you are getting", unfortunately all you "know" is that the pup had the parents and grandparents etc listed on its pedigree and they were all the same breed. Actually, if one was really syncial you could say that you don't actually "know" that the dogs listed on the pedigree were really the ones used in the breeding because the information is supplied by the breeders so without a DNA test you couldn't be 110% sure.

There are some really responsible breeders out there breeding for health and temperament, who test for inherited deseases and refuse to breed from affected animals but sadly there are also the rougues who bring the whole system into disrepute.

More
13 years 3 months ago #258005 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic German Shepherds
LittleLSB your quite right on many counts :)

I owned GSD's til 1981 & attended several GSD specialty shows, with my very correct "english" type bitch. Then the German Imports starting arriving in NZ & winning the shows, with their wobbly hocks & sloping backs & all the associated problems.
I changed my breed !

More
13 years 3 months ago #258008 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic German Shepherds
Sod - do they not still do the hip measurements? I know my GS was from a litter of 13, as was her Mum and all the parents had like a report card on their hips. There was only one - great grand dam from memory who had Very Good instead of Excellent.

Needlesss to say, she was a powerful looking bitch with minimal drop in the back line (probably none in truth) and had no hip problems that we were aware of until just before she passed away from a heart attack at twelve and a half. Her Kennel name was "....of Nampara". She was born about 23 years ago. Beautiful animal still missed. Can't beleive it was so long ago that she died. Feels like a year ago.

More
13 years 3 months ago #258046 by Kalmara
Yes Hip Scores (& now elbow scores) are still being done by some breeders.
The average hip score for the GSD is 11.6 in 2008 with 1085 having been x-rayed.

Nampara GSD kennels produced beautiful dogs with IMHO correct movement & temperament

More
13 years 3 months ago #258050 by DiDi
Thanks for that Sandy. She is the one the PN Police wanted to use as a breed bitch but we sold our farm and were moving North before we could arrange it. I rang the Police Dog Division up here when I arrived but they didn't have their own breeding programme.

I went to Dog Shows etc looking for a suitable Dog but never found one for the exact reasons discussed above - they were all sloping so much in the back end, they didn't appeal to me. One I did look at, at the owner's home, they proudly showed me a treadmill they ran the dogs on for exercise. He was already showing signs to me of being weak in the back end. When my girl growled at him and wanted nothing to do with him, I left! No artificial breeding for me (despite being in the industry!) as I believed that she would and should choose her own partner - with my approval and subject to the pedigree lines. Laugh.

When she died, I never wanted to replace her but when the time came to consider it, I couldn't find Nampara and gave up.

More
13 years 3 months ago #258115 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic German Shepherds
I was really shocked!!!
How on earth can they find something horrible like that beautiful????
That's so sad :( :( :(

I saw a dog like this on a obedience show here in Gisborne and I could only imagine the pain he was in when performing some agility and obedience!!!
The owner of said dog seemed very proud of her dog and I just know, that a dog will do anything just for pleasing you, even if he's in pain...

My dog is a purebreed as well (not a GS) but she has a straight back and no problems with her hips or knees.

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
13 years 3 months ago #258143 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic German Shepherds
A former work colleague of mine bought a German Shepherd pub from a breeder and was told at her first vet visit, that she'll need a double hip replacement once she is fully grown. When complaining to the breeder, the breeder only said: 'Didn't you know that? That's normal for the breed'.

More
13 years 3 months ago #258164 by sod
Replied by sod on topic German Shepherds
Thanks everyone we were just about in tears when we saw some of the things on there and have been giving our cast off crew lots of big hugs, to find out people kill dog that are NOT deformed is @$#%&^%&^&**(*&^^%^ so can't think of words

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

• Toni - Northland
13 years 3 months ago #258167 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic German Shepherds
Yes, well, hence my point of nothing wrong with mongrel dogs. I have had pedigrees and wouldn't have one again, especially as the kennel clubs now seem to be endorsing these breed faults. It is criminal.

More
13 years 3 months ago #258244 by Kalmara
Before we get too emotive :))

Cull - to remove from the breeding program - does not always mean that any pups not coming up to standard are killed.

Alas telling the truth doesn't make for good television ratings.

More
13 years 3 months ago #258247 by DiDi
Just a comment on that and not saying that all Breeders are the same but a friend of mine had one of the dogs that was suggested should not have been kept. A white Boxer! She was the most beautiful bitch. We were at a Horse Trials Event and this woman actually said to me "That dog should have been put down" - you guessed it - a Boxer breeder. Unreal! I didn't know her from a bar of soap and to have the cheek and audacity to say that directly to me was stunning. I won't repeat what I said to her but "my" girl lived until she was 13 and yes she did finally get put down because of a tumour that developed in the last six months of her life. Well - sorry for having kept her! Ignorant b####!

Time to create page: 0.228 seconds