Electric heaters

• chooky
13 years 3 months ago #17290 by chooky
Electric heaters was created by chooky
Hi there - a question on behalf of my son . What type of electric heaters are the most cost effective to run ? Also combined with being quick tio heat a small room too .
Ta

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #257478 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Electric heaters
heat pumps for permanent installation. Fast is the small square hair dryer type with a fan blowing air over a hot element and out into the room. oil fin types are a little cheaper, but not a lot, and rely on natural air currents, so it takes time to heat a space vs the fan box which blows hot air out and around.

the cheap panel type which look like a big glowing red/orange flat face are both more power hungry than the fan type, and also rely on natural radent heat as the oil fin type. the worst of both worlds, but cheap in the short term purchase, they are horrendously expensive on the long term power bill.

Actually I believe gas heaters are cheaper to run now than power ones.

Electric heaters rely on turning electricity into heat, heat pumps shuffle heat from one place to another, so even at less than perfect efficiency, you can see how they, as a heat mover, can be cheaper than an electric heat creator.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 3 months ago #257481 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Electric heaters
I wouldnt use an electric heater (too expensive).
I have an oil filled one with 5 fins and it has a timer as well.
Great for a quick heat up ...

More
13 years 3 months ago #257485 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Electric heaters
Start by putting on more clothes, especially gloves and a balaclava, because the head and hands lose lots of heat.

More
13 years 3 months ago #257511 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Electric heaters
Small room quick heat have to be fan heater maybe one with therostat on. Trouble with gas heaters is the condensation and they use up the oxygen to burn.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 3 months ago #257527 by mikenz
Replied by mikenz on topic Electric heaters
Great info on this government site here;
www.energywise.govt.nz/yourhome/heating/

About a third of your household energy bill goes on heating. [1.] There are lots of heating options and some are more energy efficient than others.
Use the information in this section to find out more about your heating options to help you make the best home heating choices.
Pages in this section

Hand-woven Mexican Hammocks and Blankets Online Store
www.hammocksonline.co.nz

• chooky
13 years 3 months ago #257529 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Electric heaters
Thanks for that input guys . He is going to replace his vertical blinds and I reckon thermal drapes will make a huge difference . It is only a small 1 bedroom cottage he has to heat but wants to go as efficient as possible - his rent is power inclusive up to $80 a month so unlike last year year he wants to try to get through winter without a top up bill from the landlord .

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds