Dogs international air travel

More
13 years 3 months ago #17199 by Hintzashouse
Kalmara and/or others- how cold does it get in the cargo hold when sending dogs overseas? I've got one staying who is going on to Canada. Shes due for a clip, but wondering about the temp in the hold for long trips?
thanks HH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #256367 by BillyTheTractor
I don't know how cold it gets exactly, but we took our dog and 2 cats over from the Uk when we came here to live and he did the trip no problem at all.
I think the hold where the animals go isn't that cold.

Wee Farm

More
13 years 3 months ago #256369 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Dogs international air travel
I *thought* that where the animals are carried is supposed to be the same temp / air as the main cabin? But then I've read of dogs being placed in luggage holds accidentally and, no doubt like others, have read a whole lot of other stuff.

Short answer, don't know for sure! Perhaps you could just ring Air NZ and ask?

To hijack for a moment; does anyone in New Zealand know of breeder/s of Portugese Water Dogs? TIA :)

• maggies mum
13 years 3 months ago #256370 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Dogs international air travel
I should think it will be warm enough, just as long as they don't leave a window open!!

More
13 years 3 months ago #256372 by Birman Babe
I believe its the same atmospheric conditions as the passengers ; well thats what I have been told anyway.

More
13 years 3 months ago #256376 by Hintzashouse

Prim;235124 wrote: I Perhaps you could just ring Air NZ and ask?

Not sure what airline going on as yet, some weeks away. Have emailed the pet travel co to see what their reply is, but needed to book her in for clip soonish so it had some time to regrow before she goes. Sounds like its not too cold so thats good. thanks :)

More
13 years 3 months ago #256536 by Kalmara
Same temps as the passengers. I would clip her as depending on travel times it may help keep her cleaner.
Give Mike at Dandy Dogs a call 04 232 3396, he has all the answers to my questions re o/seas travel for dogs.

More
13 years 3 months ago #256767 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Dogs international air travel
I brought cats from Canada 10 years ago, I was told at the time that it could get cold in the area where the animals are but it was in relation to considering whether to sedate them or not. If they are sedated they can't control their body temperature very well, so they recommend not sedating them. They came through just fine.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
13 years 3 months ago #256834 by The Kats Place
Give the airline a call and ask.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 3 months ago #256841 by NZ Appaloosas
Word of caution--parts of the US and Canada got hit with a blizzard yesterday...you may not want to clip the coat, not because of the freight hold, but because the poor beastie could be shiverin' on landing.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds