Anyone know anything about electrics in a truck?

More
15 years 2 months ago #17185 by Cate
My horse truck went in to have its chasis blasted and sprayed , when it came out I noticed driving home that the indicators were not making their usual noise, on examination it seems they work fine when the y are the only light but if I brake all lights flash, and if the headlights are on all the lights flash. :confused: I presume as they took the wheels and box off that they may have had to do something near the electrics?
Thoughts. Taking it back is going to be difficult as hubby doesn't have an HT and I am not here during the week.:rolleyes:

Cate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #256084 by DiDi
Cate - not electrics person but there were a heap of wires which are ultimately connected to the batteries and threaded through the chasiss so it would seem they have been reconnected incorrectly. Are the terminals on the battery tight and weird as this sounds ('cause it happened to me) have all the caps on the battery been replaced and screwed down. Won't affect the lights but check it anyway.

Personally, I can't see the onus being on you to return it - obviously something they have done incorrectly so ask them to send out an auto electrician (at their cost) to fix it.

I'm sure someone more "electrical" thn me will be along but I would start with checking the batteries. Also, maybe the fuses haven't been pushed in/replaced correctly for the lights.

More
15 years 2 months ago #256103 by Kiwi303
sounds like a short through the fuse box or wire bundle to me, if all the lights are going when the brake or headlight circuits are active, then power is feedint into the other circuits from those systems. was it sandblasting? the sand could have abraded through the wires if they weren't masked off properly, or a few connectors have been swapped over.

I agree the onus is on the panel shop to fix it at their cost.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 2 months ago #256124 by moonshiner
From the description of your issues you have an earth problem. Either the earth wires for the lights have not been reconnected or where they contact the chassis the fresh paint is denying them a sufficient contact.

Talk to the crowd that did the blasting, a mobile sparky should be able to sort the problem quickly at their cost.

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

More
15 years 2 months ago #256131 by sod
Have to agree with moonshiner maybe they didn't put earth for lights back on or put it over paint so they are earthing through each other. Phone them as others have said

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

• Jack
15 years 2 months ago #256132 by Jack
Gidday

Yep, get that earth checked out.

More
15 years 2 months ago #256247 by Toast
I've got a horse truck too but not too good on the electrics.

However, here's my take on this!

My suggestion is to contact the sandblaster people & explain what's going on & your situation. In your case they should be sending somebody out to fix it. If they won't, it's time to stand up for your rights. It would be fine if you worked near them & could just drop it off on the way to work (and they fixed it free of charge), but obviously it's not.

I appreciate your situation. I am single, live on my own & am half an hour from town, so you can imagine what it's like trying to get some things done or to return faulty goods (particularly apples with rotten centres!). "Oh, just drop it in!" My standard reply is, "I live way out in the country, it takes me half an hour to get to town and I only come to town once a week, if that, and I've already been in twice this week."

My other gripe is: They say that there is a recession. I really have to query this one! The customer service (service??????) I've had since the recession supposedly started has been absolutely abyssmal!!!!

I just bought a small work from home business last Monday & the hoops I've had to jump through this week with ordering supplies, opening accounts etc make you wonder if anybody in this country really wants to make money. (They spend lots on advertising though!)

Anyway, this is nothing to do with your situation! Hopefully they will come to the party & fix everything for you without any extra cost or time to you or hubby. Not having your electrics working is a safety issue also. How would it have been if you were picking up your truck, going home, loading up the horses & driving to the ferry & on to your national show being staged in Gore, or even Stewart Island?

Good luck & let us know how you get on!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds