H E L P, internet connection failure update..

More
14 years 7 months ago #1718 by witheze
Is it just coincidence that since I changed from xtra to xnet, my computer speed is down to 16.8 from 31 to 40 when with xtra. I will be lucky to get this away. Can telecom sabotage my line as a punishment because that is what I'm thinking? I've always had better speed than my neighbour who is with ihug. It has taken 12 connects to get on here. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #63880 by PRU2
We are with ihug and have found that the connection rate isn't as good as it used to be and the time can be some seconds, leading to not at all when trying to connect[}:)]. I don't know if it is because over time there are more users and the exchange is old, but it gets damn frustrating when you write up a reply on here only to have the internet disconnect and then spend the next I don't know how long trying to get back on, and giving up in disgust:(. I can sympathise with you witheze :(.

More
14 years 7 months ago #63916 by witheze
And for 20 mins or so I could only get the "no such no."tone from xnet, so think they were overloaded. If I have trouble again tomorrow it will be back to xtra with tail between my legs :p , xnet might be a bum steer :p for us out on a limb! [V]

More
14 years 7 months ago #63949 by GrantK
I just tried dialling Xnet about 10 minutes ago and it connected immediately. Is it working again for you Witheze [?]

Regarding the connection speeds, AFAIK it is Telecom who operate the 0867 network in each city. The data is then forwarded to the respective ISP. So if you did move back to Xtra, you would probably find that your connection speed is still the same i.e. less than you were getting before.

It sounds as though there is an issue with your line, or possibly with the modem pool in Whangarei.

P.S. Did you know you can get Wireless Internet in many areas of Whangarei for $54.95 per month[?]

Inger told me roughly where you are and it looks like you are probably in luck:

Purua Moderate
Pipiwai Moderate
Moengawahine Moderate
Kaikou Moderate

"Moderate" usually means you will get coverage so long as you can see (or almost see) the transmitter mast -- in your case the tower on Mt. Hikurangi.

Pricing details are here:

www.iconz.net/promo/ptchev/index.php

I know it says Pt. Chevalier, but ICONZ offered this to me, and I am in the Far North.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 7 months ago #64017 by DiDi
withezwe - just ring your ISP (new one) and say (very politely) this is garbage and I am going elsewhere. It is amazing how fast they sort out your problems! Grant is the genius but I would suspect (in my ignorance) that you haven't been set up properly. On the other hand - go Wireless! I am and am now feeling very smug (you'll laugh Grant) that a neighbour came up the other day who is paying business rate copper wire Broadband and said "This is really quick" and I am on 256/256. I am also on one of the oldest telephone exchanges in NZ so have been avoiding Broadband like the plague. May be different for you.

More
14 years 7 months ago #64027 by GrantK
I've been checking up on this today at various times as e-mailed to Witheze earlier:
==============================================================
I've tried connecting to Xnet's Dialup number several times today, including one attempt just a few minutes ago, which being a weekend night, is definitely during the peak time for internet usage.

On each occasion I received a modem tone immediately, with no pause whatsoever.

If your experience is different, it leads me to believe you may have a faulty line, or a faulty modem.

Here's hoping that you can get the situation resolved without any further frustration.

More
14 years 7 months ago #64030 by witheze
Grant I've been connected all night, but just for the hell of it I've dialed the dial up no. from my switch board and periodically got the overload tone. It's okay at the moment tho, just checked. Have got good speed at the moment cos I'm plugged into a line at work, so it's not my computer.

More
14 years 7 months ago #64032 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by witheze

Have got good speed at the moment cos I'm plugged into a line at work, so it's not my computer.

Good Work, that's the way to track down the cause of the problem by eliminating one thing at a time.

I agree, clearly there's nothing wrong with the modem in your computer because it works at full speed on a different line [8D]

So, if you are still experiencing problems at home, that just leaves the line...:(

If problems persist, I would suggest contacting Telecom and getting them to check it.

Cheers,
Grant.

More
14 years 7 months ago #64068 by witheze
Grant regarding Wireless, do you have to be able to have uninterrupted space to the transmitter, I am sited under some hills[my guardians]and they impede where I think the transmitter is. I have no cell ph. coverage here, have to drive out to the road and then it's poor. [ But I do have security from road rogues and that is worth a lot to me.] [^] I have had trouble connecting this morn again, speed of 21.00, wil be lucky to get this thru, will talk to Xnet soon but doubt they can help, neighbours went thru all the rigmarole of getting the lines tested by telecom, they're from overseas and it took a while for them to accept how primitive we are here lol. They've given up the battle. They are with ihug, and when they were battling, I took my laptop to their house and dialed up to Xtra no trouble when they couldn't connect to ihug at all , so it was obvious that different providers give different speeds even tho the immediate line is the same.

More
14 years 7 months ago #64091 by GrantK

Grant regarding Wireless, do you have to be able to have uninterrupted space to the transmitter, I am sited under some hills[my guardians]and they impede where I think the transmitter is. I have no cell ph. coverage here, have to drive out to the road and then it's poor.

Hmmm, it doesn't sound promising Witheze :(

The fact that you don't get cellphone coverage probably rules out any chance of getting wireless broadband from Mt. Hikurangi.

Another option is satellite broadband, so long as the hills are to the East of you, rather than the West.

They are with ihug, and when they were battling, I took my laptop to their house and dialed up to Xtra no trouble when they couldn't connect to ihug at all , so it was obvious that different providers give different speeds even tho the immediate line is the same.

That's interesting indeed. I know that iHug dial-up has a very poor reputation for reliability but it does sound as though Xtra is the better option in your area. Theoretically it shouldn't matter because the line is the weakest link in the chain.

You will get a faster response from Xnet by phoning their Tech. Support directly on 0800 14 9638. They nearly always answer the phone within a few seconds, especially on weekdays, so give them a call and let me know what happens.

Cheers,
Grant.

More
14 years 7 months ago #64224 by witheze
I am back with Xtra!!!!!! And have doubled my speed from 16 to 31.
I rang Xnet support but the guy couldn't explain the slow speed, and unable to connect last night. So I've reconnected to Xtra, cost me $15.00 bucks for the exercise tho, and a lot of time...:(:( Thanks for your help tho Grant.

More
14 years 7 months ago #64254 by GrantK
Oh well, at least we tried to get it sorted [:I]

It's a real puzzle that Xtra can offer so much faster speeds in your area. Usually the line is the weakest link as I said, and this applies irrespective of ISP.

Obviously Xtra have better modems in your area and your speed is double what it was :D :D :D :D

Can't argue with that, I would be moving back to Xtra as well if that was the case for me!

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds