Cadbury goes Fairtrade!

More
13 years 5 months ago #255809 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
There's poverty and then there's being SOLD into slavery by your family by the time you can walk and talk. There's absolutely no defence to that in my book. (I've witnessed poverty about as bad as it can get in rural Mexico while living there as a youngster... has made a lifelong impact on me).

Andrea
Oxford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
13 years 5 months ago #255811 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
Yes but how is buying fair trade in all truthfulness going to stop that?

It's not even skimming the surface of the problems, you'll need to do far more than buy fair trade chocoalte to stop that I'm afraid!

More
13 years 5 months ago #255812 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
Nooones saying that 'our high standards' should apply, but the price paid for commodities should reflect the cost to grow them and a fair price in that country concerned for what is being sold.

From all accounts Fairtrade makes a lot of difference to the families who are growing the products that come under this scheme. Isn't that worth something?

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
13 years 5 months ago #255814 by maggies mum
Ah but to live in an ideal world eh? :(

More
13 years 5 months ago #255815 by reggit
So...because there is no chance we will ever live in an ideal world...there is no point supporting schemes that make a difference to some people at least? Hmmmm....

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

• maggies mum
13 years 5 months ago #255817 by maggies mum
Thats my point! Does it make a difference???

I know that paying extra this end makes a difference to my shopping bill and right now charity begins at home.

More
13 years 5 months ago #255820 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
Who knows if it makes a difference, it seems to make people feel better, and I guess you can't put a price on that! And yes, I've travelled extensively through some of the poorest countries. Surely if you are that concerned it's probably best to give up those things of which you can't be sure about. Not that I drink coffee or eat bananas. Now chocolate is a whole different ball game. :)

• maggies mum
13 years 5 months ago #255822 by maggies mum
I hope it makes a difference, I'm sure it does to lots of people, a google search led to a number of articles that said it was.

Unfortunately in some cultures it's doesn't matter what anyone does to help, the same problem will continue.

I think I would rather make a difference here in NZ to be honest! Far too many children being murdered right here, right now! So what we all doing about that then??

More
13 years 5 months ago #255843 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
passing anti-smacking legislation. Now hasn't that worked a treat! But lets not go there..... ;)

• maggies mum
13 years 5 months ago #255845 by maggies mum
I need chocolate!

You'll like this....

• maggies mum
13 years 5 months ago #255846 by maggies mum

More
13 years 5 months ago #255870 by reggit

maggies mum;234495 wrote: I know that paying extra this end makes a difference to my shopping bill and right now charity begins at home.

I know that Fairtrade coffee is the same price as other coffees on the supermarket shelves, so its really not an issue of extra cost to the consumer at this end. And I doubt that Cadburys will be putting up the cost of dairy milk choc as a result of going Fairtrade.

And yes, Fairtrade does make a difference to the growers involved. Fairtrade as an organisation has been very good at documenting the results of the programme and the outcomes for all parties concerned, working on a win-win basis for growers, buyers, manufacturers and consumers. They have to be able to document this to encourage more companies to come on board, otherwise the whole thing would stall!

A good read is Harriet Lamb's "Fighting the Banana Wars and Other Fairtrade Battles" that explains how Fairtrade works, how it started, and how they are gradually getting some major outlets/manufacturers switching to Fairtrade.

So what are we going to do about children getting abused in NZ? :rolleyes: Or do we take a similar stance as advocated by some here and say that its such a big issue, and since we can never have an ideal world/country in which no child is abused, we might as well not bother doing anything at all? [}:)]

More
13 years 5 months ago #255884 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!

maggies mum;234489 wrote: Yes but how is buying fair trade in all truthfulness going to stop that?

It's not even skimming the surface of the problems, you'll need to do far more than buy fair trade chocoalte to stop that I'm afraid!

Old African proverb:
“If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a room with a mosquito.”

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

• maggies mum
13 years 5 months ago #255891 by maggies mum
Well good on ya'all for making a difference!!

More
13 years 5 months ago #255912 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
MM - you are so right and even if as an avid anti all sorts of things person you don't want to be associated with my beliefs - you are right on the nail with this one!

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds