Cadbury goes Fairtrade!

More
13 years 3 months ago #17152 by reggit
About bluddy time! Another reason to feel good about eating chocolate :D Already buy Fairtrade coffee.

www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article...=3&objectid=10560026

Now if the supermarkets could make Fairtrade bananananananas lavailable like they are in the UK....:rolleyes: that would be grand.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #255684 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
Yea for Cadbury!!! We've been getting Scarborough Fair fairtrade chocolate, or Trade Aid chocolate (they both make organic varieties) which is really nice, but that a large company is looking to use fair trade chocolate is a huge step in the right direction.

Andrea
Oxford

• maggies mum
13 years 3 months ago #255686 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
OOh there is a God! Chocolate without the guilt!

More
13 years 3 months ago #255705 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
I think it might be just their Dairy Milk range for starters, let's hope they extend that to all their cocoa purchased, and don't just use the Fairtrade Dairy Milk as window dressing about how good they are (my, I'm so cynical!)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 3 months ago #255734 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
Yay for fair trade choccie. As for bananas and coffee - source of all evil the both of them!

More
13 years 3 months ago #255737 by Andrea1
There's hardly even any chocolate in Dairy milk, so I do hope that's not all they're going to do...

Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 3 months ago #255739 by wino
Replied by wino on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
that sorts it then - it is our moral obligation to eat more chocolate.

I shall put this on my New Years resolution list immediately.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 3 months ago #255746 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
"Farmers are saying that it's impossible to make ends meet," said Fairtrade's head, Harriet Lamb. "People don't see cocoa as a future. They don't get enough cash from cocoa so there's not enough investment."

The way that reads to me is that Cadbury has seen the writing on the wall that unless they start supporting the Fairtrade movement they soon won't have any growers left. Nice to see market forces helping those growers that have obviously been almost screwed out of existence. :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 3 months ago #255748 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!

tigger;234308 wrote: ......Now if the supermarkets could make Fairtrade bananananananas lavailable like they are in the UK....:rolleyes: that would be grand.

Just look for the organic ones - PLU code 94011
Organic certification is more prevalent for small holders, the return (to the grower) has a premium over conventional and they're not going to be doused in toxins (which is common in conventional plantations). Win-Win :D

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 3 months ago #255752 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!
Load of bollocks! The world is saying that medically we have to eat 70% plus chocolate to be able to eat chocolate and Dairy milk is really really bad for you. Have people been listening and Cadbury have seen a decline in their profit margin for Dairy Milk?

Perhaps it doesn't matter but at the end of the day, being a person who's Doctor has said you are only allowed to eat 70% plus cocoa chocolate because your bad cholestrol is shocking and your good cholestrol abysmal - I have tried. Believe me, I have tried to eat 70% cocoa chocolate and I just want to gag. I LOVE Dairy Milk chocolate. So outcome - I have weaned myself off chocolate altogether. No profit margin for Cadbury with me....

PS Just for those who are now visualising an obese chocoholic - no way! I am allergic to fish which is messing with my good cholestrol! Certainly not overweight! I tried the Omega Oil capsules on Doc's advise and the crippling stomach pains and resulting big D does not sort the problem. Sigh! Dark choccie doesn't either!

• maggies mum
13 years 3 months ago #255785 by maggies mum
To be honest I have to admit that I just eat the stuff! lol The fair trade thing never entered my head.

So while this is a good thing I can't see how them doing this will make too much difference. Everything we purchase would have to be fair trade to make any differnce surely, and to go fair trade now isn't that a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!!!!! What ya all been buying until now!??

Good word DiDi.....all b*llocks! ;D

More
13 years 3 months ago #255793 by Andrea1
The thing with coffee, chocolate, tea and sugar is that all four industries, particularly the chocolate one, involve scandalous amounts of slave labour. Children are actually sold into slavery in the chocolate industry (that I know of... comes from being addicted to the Documentary Channel...). That's a big issue for me. Fair Trade organisations were set up to combat the issues of slavery and extremely poor working and production conditions of the above commodities.

Andrea
Oxford

More
13 years 3 months ago #255798 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!

maggies mum;234461 wrote: Everything we purchase would have to be fair trade to make any differnce surely, and to go fair trade now isn't that a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!!!!! What ya all been buying until now!??

As Andrea says, there are particular commodities that have particular problems with how it is processed and how the west purchases it, putting the growers at specific disadvantage.

What pees me off is how little the growers get compared to the middle men, considering how much the end consumer pays - hmmmm, similar to supermarkets and growers here of other more common products! - for what is essentially a luxury item in the west.

Fairtrade coffee is everywhere now, from supermarkets to cafes, so there is no reason to say that you can't get it! You just have to be a bit aware and look for the logo :D .

• maggies mum
13 years 3 months ago #255802 by maggies mum
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree entirely, but what we forget is that in some of these countries where poverty is commonplace, what those kids earn is porbably the only money that household could be bringing in, so in effect you 'could' be making that life for that child a whole lot worse! So unless someone does something about improving the overall conditions these people have to deal with, I don't think buying fair trade goods will do diddly squat!
Rather they pick cofee or tea etc than become a child prostitute!

More
13 years 3 months ago #255808 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Cadbury goes Fairtrade!

maggies mum;234480 wrote:
Rather they pick cofee or tea etc than become a child prostitute!

Exactly. Let's be realistic here, not many people in the world can afford our high standards.

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds