Cars: NZ new

More
13 years 3 months ago #17136 by reggit
Cars: NZ new was created by reggit
...does this mean new to NZ (second hand Jap import) or sold new in NZ originally? Never have got that straight in my head.

Am soooo enjoying driving the rental Toyota Corolla hatch that I am yet again checking out prices and availability...just in case :)

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #255503 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Cars: NZ new
I bought my car brand new in 2001 from a Nissan Dealer so that is what is referrred to as NZ new as opposed to an import... I think. Grin. The other test I guess would be where it was first registered?

Toyota's certainly have a good reputation and hold their own on resale value better than many other makes and models - mine included! Darn. I love it though so not intending to change unless I win Lotto and as I don't take tickets - that is not going to happen!

More
13 years 3 months ago #255504 by skyline_glenn
Replied by skyline_glenn on topic Cars: NZ new
Means sold new in NZ, if they are used imports they are refered as imports or jap imports. NZ new usually means less creature comforts, back in the day you never got electric windows or mirrors, air conditioning, central locking and the interior was downgraded if you brought NZ new, although you could upgrade to some of the electrics for a hugh cost. No wonder everybody liked the look of an import

Glenn

More
13 years 3 months ago #255506 by wino
Replied by wino on topic Cars: NZ new
NZ new means brand new and first registered in NZ.

They are often lower spec than the imports if you are buying a second hand one and comparing NZ new to imported.

Toyota often have really good deals on the littler cars brand new - just a matter of getting them at the right time.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 3 months ago #255507 by wino
Replied by wino on topic Cars: NZ new
LOL snap Glen

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 3 months ago #255519 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Cars: NZ new
They are certainly great little cars, good pickup of speed, comfortable and spacious for a hatchback. I still love my great little Feroza though, not quite ready to give it up but preparing for the day it gives up on me!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 3 months ago #255545 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Cars: NZ new
Hi,
I used to drive a toyota corolla hatch as a work car, there were 3 in our workplace and I was responsible for keeping them serviced etc as per the lease agreement. A couple of the cars did big Kms and the other one not so many. I HATED THEM!! They were constantly getting something fixed, interior wheel archs did not stay put and fell out, usually more than once, the last clip thing at the bottom was pretty good as it took a fair bit of effort to get that last one to break when the rest of it had wrapped itself round the wheel and then flapped on the door. In one memorable week I had all 3 cars to the service ppl 3 times each for minor and major problems. They were 2001 or 2002 models so it may be just the vehicles in that time frame.
I don't mind toyota vehicles and usually they are very reliable but those corollas just about did my head in.
It didn't help that a couple of the service ppl told me things like;
the interior light blows the bulb regularly because you open the door too often.
That broken bin (at the side of the engine, it was like the window washer bin) is so the engine can get air.
Headlight bulbs need to go in without being touched and round the right way because they do blow (every week) if they are aren't. -- I got this lecture everytime the guy put a new bulb in and he was the one that put them in the most. I wouldn't do it because they blew so often.
Sorry this is a long rant but those corollas were the pits!! The newer ones are probably a lot better.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
13 years 3 months ago #255547 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Cars: NZ new
Not all non NZ new cars are of lower spec, many are brought in my immigrants. In out case we recently sold two motorbikes that we had had from new, but did not class as NZ new.

More
13 years 3 months ago #255554 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Cars: NZ new
NZ new means no rust, never driven on a salted road, kms are kms. If you are unlucky with a Japanese import it will have rust at the tender age of 2 and will have had its odometer wound back three times.

More
13 years 3 months ago #255556 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic Cars: NZ new
NZ new means first reg in NZ.

More
13 years 3 months ago #255566 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Cars: NZ new
When I had a two person business, we had imported Toyota Corolla diesel stationwagons, very basic inside, but sooooo reliable. They were great little cars.

I'd be looking at something younger than 2006.

More
13 years 3 months ago #255571 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Cars: NZ new
Daughter and SIL have a Toyota corolla ... 1996 I think ... they have had it for many many years and are trying to get the mileage to over 1,000,000 yep a million[:0] .. it just keeps going and going ...has not had any work except the belt thingie *might* have been replaced :rolleyes: ...SIL is a mechanic and owns a garage / workshop in Auckland :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...
We have a Toyota Windom ...had it since 1999 and it too just goes and goes without a hiccup ... serviced regularly but apart from that zilch gone wrong...we were thinking of up grading but ... what for:confused: this car is awesome and we would never get what it is worth :)
Toyota's certainly are reliable I reckon :D
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
13 years 3 months ago #255572 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Cars: NZ new
I drive a Nissan Primera and have never had a spot of bother with it.
I like the fact its a little bit more chunky looking than some of the Corolla's plus has plenty of spunk when I need to pass logging trucks :-)

• maggies mum
13 years 3 months ago #255573 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Cars: NZ new
If ya wanna take out a small mortgage ya can buy me Landrover Freelander! ;-D

More
13 years 3 months ago #255616 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Cars: NZ new
I think the implication, when a car advert is boasting "NZ New", is that you can trust the odometer reading more if it was imported when new to NZ, rather than being bought secondhand in Japan.

Some dealers offer odometer guarantees for secondhand but newly imported cars, I don't know how water tight they are, I've just noticed that they exist.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds