Jobs summit: what's changed?

More
13 years 4 months ago #17134 by reggit
It's been a depressing week of reading about job losses, between Sealord and now Pacific Brand. In Pacific Brands case, relocation to China is on the cards. The cynical side of me wonders how many companies will chose to make the jump overseas while they have the excuse of the recession....

And now I read this: www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10560007

If the Woburn rail yards where work was done on the rail carriages is still operating, why oh why is about $60m of infrastructure-type funding to build more carriages going to China instead of being spent here keeping and creating jobs? Wasn't that what the job summit was all about? And isn't the government supposed to be leading this approach?

There are also the Toll (who owns them now?) workshops in Dunedin that recondition UK carriages for the NZ rail system (mainly urban I think).

:confused:

Scratching my head...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #255542 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Jobs summit: what's changed?
I don't understand either.

To me, it ought to be black and white.

If the NZ Government (in particular) needs something (eg locomotives) then they ought to do anything they can to build them here. If they need (eg frigates) then they ought to be built here.

Pacific Brands may not mean anything to many people. Think instead of Bonds and Jockey (!). China, here we come.

Blah.

More
13 years 4 months ago #255551 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Jobs summit: what's changed?
The govt. wants jobs but army clothes from China, Locos. from China?????:confused: Woburn shops made K A locos. Then stripped and rebuilt all the locos.,carrages and rooling stock but don't know what can be done there now:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 4 months ago #255565 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Jobs summit: what's changed?
Prim, sounds like Pacific Brands in Aussie are shedding 1850 jobs too through the move - and they've taken several million in Aussie govt subsidies in the last two years...:confused:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 4 months ago #255590 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Jobs summit: what's changed?
5 out of 20 still running?!

Ugh.

Buying things Made in China is soooo cheap and short-sighted (IMHO). Yes, I do buy things Made in China. But I like to think of myself as an informed consumer. If I have a choice, and the alternative is relatively close price-wise, I purchase almost anything BUT Made in China.

I often feel like I'd like to be an ostrich. Stick my head in the sand, not all the cr*p that's happening in the world. It seems to me I have a lot of answers (!), and I don't understand why they're not the same answers governments are coming up with (!!!). I also struggle a little reconciling some things - like the billions of dollars being handed out in the US. It's enough money to provide a solar water heater for every single family home within the US (according to what I read yesterday). That would be an awesome thing - especially if they were Made in the USA units. Increased jobs in manufacturing (yes, only a certain sector, but still), increased jobs in installation (yes, only a certain sector, but still). And yet it just gets pumped into big business, a la Pacific Brands (Australia) and still they go belly-up, or off-shore.

Ugh. Ugh. Double ugh.

More
13 years 3 months ago #256075 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Jobs summit: what's changed?
I bought quite a bit at Pacific Brands, Palmerston Nth, the other day. The Berlei & Jockey products were made in China. The merino long-janes (long underwear) were made in NZ.

Prices were great. The Berlei sports bra (without underwire) had recommended retail $49.95 on price tag but was reduced to $30 & then they had 30% off all bras and babywear until end of Feb. So I bought three pairs at $21 each. Damned good buying! Also some ladies' Jockey socks for half price & some Jockey lightweight long pants down from $40 to $15.

Pacific Brands is always well worth looking through & you can stock up on those practical must-haves at good prices.

You're right, it doesn't make sense for them to go offshore when we could keep people in work right here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
13 years 3 months ago #256194 by Anne
Replied by Anne on topic Jobs summit: what's changed?
I can't understand why the government and organisations with government funding are not required to source services and materials from within NZ - eg the army.

The organisation I work for is fully government funded and provides training for people who are needing support to get into the workforce - usually at the entry, low skill level. Yet all the materials we use are printed and packaged in China - because its cheaper. This is despite the organisation making millions of dollars in profit and purporting to support the entry level workers.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds