Isn't Skype Wonderful ?

More
13 years 5 months ago #254990 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
organix in our case we were only trying to use voice as it was to a landline, but it didnt work well enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #254997 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?

moggy;233563 wrote: organix in our case we were only trying to use voice as it was to a landline, but it didnt work well enough

The weakness in slower broadband connections including satellite is in the "upload" speed. This is the rate that you can send data and limiting it is often the shortcut that ISPs use to keep a lid on data transfer, and that includes urban connections. The jerkyness you see in video or breaks in audio are interruptions caused by lack of data transfer speed.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 5 months ago #255030 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
we have it - it's so good to keep in touch with family.
my step son is living in sweden and he/we talk via video often.
like swaggie, he walked around his apartment to show us how it was and what things looked like outside.
amazing technology really.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
13 years 5 months ago #255038 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
i also have skype and am trying to persuede my daughter in aussie to get it.i use skype with satellite and have no problems. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

More
13 years 5 months ago #255039 by BillyTheTractor
I use the mac version called iChat ( i could use skype but find iChat even more reliable) it has been a god send really. I talk to my mum and dad once a week and my brother slightly less often, but have at least managed to see my new nephew and it's also how I met my sister in law for the first time!
I absolutely love living in New Zealand but really think that being able to talk to my mum like shes right there next to me has helped hugely.
Blooming wonderful invention!

Wee Farm

More
13 years 5 months ago #255075 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
The Grand Parents, who were also part of the lengthy conversation last night, found it hard to accept that there was no cost for the call. The Engineer says we used up 1 GB for the call. We were talking for 1 hour on voice only and 20 mins with video. The connection kept dropping out on my laptop which has the video cam, but also runs on Vista (I hate Vista with a vengence). So we changed over to the Engineer's laptop, which runs on XP (yaaaaayyyy) but doesn't have a web cam and talked quite happily for the rest of the time. We could see our Son and the sound quality was very good. He couldn't see us, but that didn't matter. It was so nice to catch up with what was going on with his new life over there.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

More
13 years 5 months ago #255105 by Indigo
Replied by Indigo on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
I have it too and love it. With daughter in England at the moment, we chat most days. She doesn't have access to a computer where she is so the call goes straight to her mobile. At Christmas, she was hitched up with a computer and camera and we all opened our presents together!!

More
13 years 5 months ago #255170 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
We recently got Skype and had our first video conference with family in Scotland. And the boys ended up playing guitars together over the video. It was cool. I am trying to get my best friend connected, but she is on dial up and old computer, and resisting a bit.

My dad and brother are going to live in UK for at least 6 months, so it will be great to keep in touch with them.

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds