Isn't Skype Wonderful ?

More
13 years 4 months ago #17089 by Inger
It was so nice talking to our newly emmigrated Son in Canada tonight. He's got a laptop with a camera, so we were able to see him and were able to talk to him for ages without it costing us the usual toll call charges.

Its like he's still in the room talking to us. There was hardly any lag at all. You don't miss your kids so much if you can use Skype to keep in contact. Its great. The whole family sat around the table like we used to, catching up with what he's been up to in the month he's been gone.

The world seems a lot smaller. :D

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #254916 by Bejay
Replied by Bejay on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
I've heard about this skype thing, how does it work?

More
13 years 4 months ago #254917 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
YUP its a great way to keep in touch.. I dont have the video part, but have just pruchased a wireless ph so I dont have to sit at the puter to chat.. only problem is that she who is on the other side of the world.. puter connection has crashed so its txting for another week or so.

More
13 years 4 months ago #254920 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
Hi Bejay , welcome to the site :) skype is great.. if you have a mic or webcam on your computer, you can have like video phone calls for free :) .. i have found it good as there is not much lag at all, and its great to be able to talk to person from any country, and if both have webcams, to see them laugh and smile at your comments

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #254923 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
I love it too and don't understand why more people don't have it. I remember when we first moved in here, I walked the laptop around the house (wireless broadband) showing mum and dad what the house was like and what needed doing....

For those who don't have many people on Skype, even to call an overseas mobile or landline is far cheaper than on some unplanned telephone accounts. One of the ladies at work rings the UK, Sydney and somewhere else on a weekly basis on an unplanned account, and her telephone bill is huge.

• maggies mum
13 years 4 months ago #254926 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
Don't you have to pay for skype?? MSN is free, but only any good if you've got broadband!

More
13 years 4 months ago #254928 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?

maggies mum;233492 wrote: Don't you have to pay for skype?? MSN is free, but only any good if you've got broadband!

Skype is free, (unless you start calling 24/7 and overrun your broadband allocation). The only exception is if you are calling conventional landlines or cellphones using Skype in which case it costs a few cents per minute (about 2-3c I think).

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

• maggies mum
13 years 4 months ago #254929 by maggies mum
Ah ok. Will stick with MSN though, it would be a mission to get all my MSN contacts to change over ;D

More
13 years 4 months ago #254931 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
Gosh MM I would have thought you would have owned rights to Skype!!!.
I can use the skype ph to chat on the gmail system also.

More
13 years 4 months ago #254932 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
I also have Skype & love it!
Because I am the "country person" in our cat club I attend all the meetings via Skype :-)
I am also able to catch up with my gorgeous grandson on a weekly basis ...

• maggies mum
13 years 4 months ago #254936 by maggies mum
Nah beedee I don't know anyone else who uses it lol, and even MSN is useless on dial up!

More
13 years 4 months ago #254937 by kalnetta
Replied by kalnetta on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
For those that don't have broadband try this, ventrilo.com
It works with out broadband.

View Hill Oxford ,23 ewes 2 lambs ,1 ram,, 1cat,the 2 of us,6 granddaughters,one grandson,2 surrogate granddaughters and one step grandson,poor boy.

More
13 years 4 months ago #254947 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
i used to have skype on my pc befor i got broadband , and it worked ok to :) was a lihght lag sometimes that was only diff i found compared to on broadband

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 4 months ago #254980 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?
I use yahoo messenger for video, but I was pursuaded to buy some credit for skype as everyone sang its praises. Unfortunately it does not work well enough to actually have a conversation - we have satellite broadband

More
13 years 4 months ago #254987 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Isn't Skype Wonderful ?

Stu_R;233514 wrote: i used to have skype on my pc befor i got broadband , and it worked ok to :) was a lihght lag sometimes that was only diff i found compared to on broadband

From our experience if your internet service is questionable (and that included satellite for us) then use Skype in audio only, (rather than video link),
as voice only requires far less bandwidth. This is also recommended if the person on the other end has dodgey internet quality as the data transfer is obviously two way.

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds