I've just returned from Cambodia!!!!!

More
13 years 4 months ago #17054 by jeannielea
Did you miss me? Having had several holidays fall through I didn't quite believe this one would happen till it did! And it was amazing. Cambodia is unbelievably poor and with a history that's left it with long term problems, plus huge corruption, and searing heat, but I would love to be still there! The temples at Angkor are incredible, the Royal palace opulent in the extreme, the food divine and it was all good. Oh, and the family are fine as well!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #254260 by eelcat
Glad you're back safe and sound - any photos next time I see you?

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 4 months ago #254290 by sod
Good on you glad you had a holiday now for us to sharephotoes please pretty please

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 4 months ago #254311 by DiDi
Oooooh jealous! That must have been amazing.

More
13 years 4 months ago #254319 by skyline_glenn
Isn't it amazing over there, We went about 4 years ago now and loved it. The Angkor ruins are just spectacular and the people are so friendly. Did you go to Toul sleng ande the killing fields? I watched 'The Killing Fields' for english at school so was really interesting visiting those 2 places, very sad and moving. Would like to see some photos as well, mine are on my website in my signature.

Glenn

More
13 years 4 months ago #254334 by jeannielea
Yes, we did go to the killing fields etc including a cave near Battambang where they pushed people through a hole in the ground to fall hundreds of feet below. I did not want to go but in the end knew it was the only way to really try and understand why things are as they are at present. Its hard to believe nearly every person is affected and that they have tried to begin again without any of the people having skills or education.
we had a 3 day pass to Angkor and now envy our kids who can keep going back every time they have a break!
If I can manage photos it will take time as they are on a flashdrive (courtesy son-in-law) and I have no idea what to do with it.
We also went to a Khmer wedding or at least blessing for two foreigners who run an orphanage, on the beach at Sihanoukville, and that was really nice too.

More
13 years 4 months ago #254387 by Prim
My sister has lived over there for the last, um, 9 or 10 years. She is married to a Khmer guy.

Every person is affected by what happened over there. It is incredibly painful, and incredibly heartening at the same time, so see what they do and how they 'just' do it.

Alot of corruption too, which is soooooo frustrating. And kinda funny too. But more frustrating!

More
13 years 4 months ago #254526 by jeannielea
My SIL works in a bank so guess what corruption he sees and has to deal with! They have to be very careful security wise because some customers are pretty threatening!! And this is ANZ not some tinny bank!

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds