float vs truck

More
15 years 4 months ago #17051 by devan
float vs truck was created by devan
I'm looking for a double horse float-brakes are a must, anyone got one they wanna sell? Up to $5000
Changed the title to open up discussion re float vs truck

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #254348 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic float vs truck
..... oh, it's a float that you want. I thought that you might want a double horse ..... If so, the best I can do is a mini .......

More
15 years 4 months ago #254380 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic float vs truck
No, but we are borrowing a local one on Saturday....

(doesn't help you though eh!).

More
15 years 4 months ago #254437 by devan
Replied by devan on topic float vs truck
Noooooooooo not an awful lot swaggie :D
Actually i'm going to have a look at a small truck tonight. It holds 2 horses so i would like to open up a disscussion re float vs truck.
I dont think my nissan will tow a float with 2 horses in it and i'm pretty sure that only some of the bigger 4x4 and utes are actually allowed to, so hence looking at a truck.

I figure that a float will hold its value better and cost less to maintain and run, but a truck eliminates the need to get a bigger tow vehicle (which isn't really an option) and is more convenient when going places. Can sleep in the back of a truck, horses load easier, more comfortable on show days, and most importantly i can put a wee gas burner in it so i can make coffee!

What do you guys think?

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
15 years 4 months ago #254445 by sod
Replied by sod on topic float vs truck
Truck you don't have to tow so none of the towing problems:rolleyes: all the things devan said plus one rego, one WOF. easy to jump in and pick things up :D We dont have horses but now have double cab utes and a small double cab truck they save having to tow trailers so much and still have car type :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 4 months ago #254473 by feedqueen
Replied by feedqueen on topic float vs truck
Truck,Truck,Truck. I wish......

More
15 years 4 months ago #254504 by Louise W
Replied by Louise W on topic float vs truck
We considered swapping our float for a truck a few years ago - mainly because we have clydesdales and were looking at taking more than 2 horses out and I am not that fond of towing. We found someone willing to do a straight swap. They had their truck on the market for $10k and we figured our float was still worth what we paid for it, which was $8.5k. Thankfully they decided not to go ahead with the swap as today, 4 years on, the truck is basically worthless and our float is still worth at least $8k.

I would have a truck if I could afford to maintain and run one and if I was going to be using it A LOT. I can't afford to maintain a truck but I can afford to maintain the float and our 4x4, just. It really depends on your personal situation I think and how much you are going to use the vehicle. I don't use my float THAT much so a truck would be overkill but if I was out competing most weekends and travelling away from home, it would make reasonable sense - if I could afford it!

I know a number of people who own trucks and love them but they do seem to cost a lot to keep going.

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
15 years 4 months ago #254512 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic float vs truck
I am busy trying to talk Terry into buying a horsetruck but he seems pretty stubborn at the mo :(... given a choice I would prefer a truck if I could afford a decent reliable one ... mainly because I hate horses in floats , the towing, the whole caboodle ... I always turn into a nervous wreck and I am only ever the passenger!!!!!
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
15 years 4 months ago #254521 by devan
Yeah the whole "cost alot to keep going" bit does worry me. This is not an expensive truck and only holds 2 horses, but yes if the engine packs it in then i would be up for a couple of grand for a new one. I know that rust is an issue with old trucks too and that seems to be what kills them in the end.
I'll have a look and let ya all know

More
15 years 4 months ago #254524 by sod
Replied by sod on topic float vs truck
Depends on size of truck WOF. COF. And breed some have been well looked after and go for ever.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 4 months ago #254531 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic float vs truck
If you have more than 2 horses, get a truck, otherwise a float. Trucks are great if you can afford to buy a decent one. My neighbour spends hundreds keeping hers going. The COF seems a nightmare.... Whereas the float costs $35 to register, bugger all to insure, and flies through it's warrant everytime. I paid 5k for my float 2 years ago, and it's probably worth at least that now. My 2c worth!

More
15 years 4 months ago #254532 by devan
I was told that this one has WOF not COF but i'm not sure if she was right about that, yes i've heard that COF can be a drama!
Its more the convenience that appeals, being able to sleep in it and have all that room to move around. Also if i get a double float i really can only tow 1 horse unless its short distance

More
15 years 4 months ago #254535 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic float vs truck
So you have an HT licence already? Sounds like you are keen on the truck so go for it!

More
15 years 4 months ago #254545 by devan
No i dont have an HT but apparently if you only carry 2 horses on this particular truck, you dont have to have it. I would be happy to go get it if required tho :)

More
15 years 4 months ago #254550 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic float vs truck
not sure for certain Devan .. but from what i hear to get an HT is expensive nowdays , and lots of can and can not dos for like 6 months of something ... so i have heard anyway , thats why i havent bothered to get one yet

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds