Legal music downloads

More
14 years 7 months ago #1692 by devan
Legal music downloads was created by devan
Can anyone reccomend a site where i can download music legally? quite happy to pay for it, just went thru hours of setting up yahoo music only to be told at the last minute i cant do it cos i live in nz grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [}:)]

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #63485 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Legal music downloads
Hi ya, Mini-Dweller uses these: www.livewire.com/

I hope it's legal, otherwise someone's getting a clip round the ear when he gets home!

PS tried to reply to your e-mail but it came back, just in case you thought I was ignoring ya! ;)

More
14 years 7 months ago #63487 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Legal music downloads
thanks for that. Have updated my email in my profile today so should be all good now :D

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
14 years 7 months ago #63494 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Legal music downloads
Have you tried Digirama [?]

www.digirama.co.nz/

It's a locally owned web site with tracks selling for NZ$1.75 each, which is not too bad. The only annoying thing is that they are protected with DRM, but there are easy ways around that if it causes you any problem.

Live weather data and High/Low records for our farm at: www.keymer.name/weather

More
14 years 7 months ago #63510 by organicltd
Replied by organicltd on topic Legal music downloads

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
14 years 7 months ago #63515 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by organicltd

www.apple.com/nz/itunes/store/

The problem with Apple's iTunes is that -- being Apple -- they just HAVE to do things differently which means that downloaded tracks WILL NOT PLAY on anything but an iPod or via iTunes.

That is not acceptable in my book as there are far more music players out there than just iPods, and most Car Stereos these days will also play MP3 tracks, but not the AAC format that Apple uses.

It's a shame really, why couldn't Apple just follow the same standard as everybody else?

For these reasons, I'm not prepared to lock myself in to the Apple empire [xx(]

More
14 years 7 months ago #63532 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Legal music downloads
legalsounds.com is incredibly cheap. Whole albums for around 1 US$! The catch is, you have to register,load a minimum of US$25 into your account (you'll get a bonus of US$4.95). You then have to download a downloader to your computer. You use this downloader to download your selected songs/albums. It is so cheap that I first thought it is a scam! But it isn't. They make money with the amount you put into your account!

Songs will cost you around US$0.09. And they have almost everything!

One bad thing about them is that their web page is very slow!

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
14 years 7 months ago #63539 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Legal music downloads
We bought E an Ipod for christmas, and my In Laws recommended Limewire.... I presume they mean livewire and it was a typo however they said its known for potential viruses...

Take care in the least.

More
14 years 7 months ago #63541 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by PeterNZ

legalsounds.com is incredibly cheap. Whole albums for around 1 US$!

This doesn't sound very "legal" to me:

Legal Info
All the materials in the LegalSounds.com music service are available for distribution via Internet according to license ËÑ-3Ì-05-09 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license agreement, LegalMedia pays license fees for all the materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All the materials are available solely for personal use. Further distribution, resale or broadcasting is prohibited.
We have direct contracts with folowing copyrights holders:
- Ik Music
- OOO "Kontent i pravo"

21. Governing Law.

The laws of the Russian Federation govern these Terms and your use of the Service. Your use of the Service may also be subject to other local, state, national, or international laws. You expressly agree that exclusive jurisdiction for any claim or dispute with LegalMedia or relating in any way to your use of the Service resides in the courts of the Russian Federation.

At least, I don't think the RIAA would see it as legal. Note the bit about "Your use of the Service may also be subject to other local, state, national, or international laws."

In other words, the owners of this site are simply thumbing their noses at the legitimate copyright owners. It's certainly interesting to find out about this site, thanks PeterNZ.

But I don't think it really stands up to any sort of scrutiny which would permit NZ residents to use it with a clear conscience. Not that I'm trying wag my finger, this sort of thing is up to each of us to look at individually and decide whether we are comfortable with it or not.

In my view, $1.75 is a fair price to pay for a track of music downloaded from one of the legal sites. I should also mention that I now buy most of my music at US 99c per track from the new Amazon MP3 download site which has the best selection I have ever seen [8D] However, this is courtesy of my Sister-in-Law who lets me use her Californian credit card, thus is not possible unless you have a US connection like I do [8D]

More
14 years 7 months ago #63542 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by swaggie

...my In Laws recommended Limewire.... I presume they mean livewire and it was a typo however they said its known for potential viruses...

Yes indeed, take care with Limewire [:0]

It is well known for infecting your PC with Spyware and is part of the Gnutella File-Sharing network. Definitely NOT legal [xx(]

More
14 years 7 months ago #63556 by PeterNZ
Replied by PeterNZ on topic Legal music downloads

quote:Originally posted by GrantK

legalsounds.com is incredibly cheap. Whole albums for around 1 US$!

This doesn't sound very "legal" to me:

Legal Info
All the materials in the LegalSounds.com music service are available for distribution via Internet according to license ËÑ-3Ì-05-09 of the Russian Multimedia and Internet Society. Under the license agreement, LegalMedia pays license fees for all the materials subject to the Law of the Russian Federation "On Copyright and Related Rights". All the materials are available solely for personal use. Further distribution, resale or broadcasting is prohibited.
We have direct contracts with folowing copyrights holders:
- Ik Music
- OOO "Kontent i pravo"

21. Governing Law.

The laws of the Russian Federation govern these Terms and your use of the Service. Your use of the Service may also be subject to other local, state, national, or international laws. You expressly agree that exclusive jurisdiction for any claim or dispute with LegalMedia or relating in any way to your use of the Service resides in the courts of the Russian Federation.

At least, I don't think the RIAA would see it as legal. Note the bit about "Your use of the Service may also be subject to other local, state, national, or international laws."

In other words, the owners of this site are simply thumbing their noses at the legitimate copyright owners. It's certainly interesting to find out about this site, thanks PeterNZ.

But I don't think it really stands up to any sort of scrutiny which would permit NZ residents to use it with a clear conscience. Not that I'm trying wag my finger, this sort of thing is up to each of us to look at individually and decide whether we are comfortable with it or not.

In my view, $1.75 is a fair price to pay for a track of music downloaded from one of the legal sites. I should also mention that I now buy most of my music at US 99c per track from the new Amazon MP3 download site which has the best selection I have ever seen [8D] However, this is courtesy of my Sister-in-Law who lets me use her Californian credit card, thus is not possible unless you have a US connection like I do [8D]

So what you are saying is, that a song downloaded via a New Zealand webpage is legal but the same song downloaded via a Russian website is not? I always thought that Copyright is linked to the song in this case and not where it comes from. Or is it dodgy by default because it is linked to Russia? If they pay lcensing fees then I assume it is a legal download. If my country doesn't allow to download songs from teh webif I i.e. don't own the CD,thenit doesn't matter from where I download the songs.

Or am I wrong here?

And why do you "wag you finger" and on the other side you suggest to get around the protection of the Digital Rights Management (DRM)?

quote:The only annoying thing is that they are protected with DRM, but there are easy ways around that if it causes you any problem.

Cheers

Peter

Everything you need to make your own cheese at home
www.CottageCrafts.co.nz
[:D]LSB Members will get first order (over $10) shipping cost free. Just mention your LSB user name! [:D]

My private blog (Caution! Contains opinions and thoughts which may offend some viewers.)

Change the World! One Meal...

More
14 years 7 months ago #63557 by jen
Replied by jen on topic Legal music downloads
I think iTunes download in AAC format but you can then export it to a different format?
I'll check when I get home :)

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
14 years 7 months ago #63560 by organicltd
Replied by organicltd on topic Legal music downloads

quote:Originally posted by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by organicltd

www.apple.com/nz/itunes/store/

The problem with Apple's iTunes is that -- being Apple -- they just HAVE to do things differently which means that downloaded tracks WILL NOT PLAY on anything but an iPod or via iTunes.

That is not acceptable in my book as there are far more music players out there than just iPods, and most Car Stereos these days will also play MP3 tracks, but not the AAC format that Apple uses.

It's a shame really, why couldn't Apple just follow the same standard as everybody else?

For these reasons, I'm not prepared to lock myself in to the Apple empire [xx(]

Apple being Apple means one thing to me and that is "They are different"
For this reason alone it is worth the use of all apple products. Innovation is not cheap, but if you want the best, then be prepared to pay a little extra for the convenience and simplicity of use.
When you download Itunes to your pc* ( yes they make itunes for your pc*) you have instant access to the music download store in NZ. You just open an account there, and pay via credit card. It is so simple.

*=pieceofcrap.

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
14 years 7 months ago #63567 by GrantK

So what you are saying is, that a song downloaded via a New Zealand webpage is legal but the same song downloaded via a Russian website is not? I always thought that Copyright is linked to the song in this case and not where it comes from. Or is it dodgy by default because it is linked to Russia? If they pay lcensing fees then I assume it is a legal download.

This is a difficult area because it's so new and many of the applicable laws haven't been modernised to cope with digital downloads yet.

I don't know where to verify this, but from what I have heard, web sites such as the Russian ones DON'T pay royalties to anyone except Russian artists. Hence the mention of:

- Ik Music
- OOO "Kontent i pravo"

Because these sites are hosted in Russia, it is very difficult to get them shut down, whereas if they were in a western country, it would be a different matter.

If my country doesn't allow to download songs from teh webif I i.e. don't own the CD,thenit doesn't matter from where I download the songs.

Or am I wrong here?

It's not that NZ law prohibits downloading from the web per se, but such downloading must be accompanied by the appropriate licence, which is not the case with the Russian site.

And why do you "wag you finger" and on the other side you suggest to get around the protection of the Digital Rights Management (DRM)?

What I was referring to there is the issue of "Format Shifting" which will shortly be sanctioned by NZ law, whereas strictly speaking, it isn't at present.

In my case this is a hindrance where I download the MP3 tracks on my desktop PC at the farm and then want to play them on my laptop when I'm away. To get around that issue, I used to buy the tracks from Digirama, then burn them to CD and rip them back again, thereby removing the DRM protection. All of which is supported by Windows Media Player as included with Windows. So -- no dodgy software here, all strictly above board :)

However, now that I buy my music from Amazon.com, there is no DRM, so this is no longer an issue [8D]

Sorry PeterNZ, no offence intended, I hope you can now see where I'm coming from :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #63568 by GrantK

quote:Originally posted by jen

I think iTunes download in AAC format but you can then export it to a different format?
I'll check when I get home :)

AFAIK, you can IMPORT MP3 files INTO iTunes, but not EXPORT them.

Time to create page: 0.229 seconds