Flies in House - Mortein/Raid products

More
15 years 2 months ago #251634 by sundaysbest
Cool Dev thanks... as we've just moved into a rental I would hate it to mark, but thinking I will get one - as mannn there are lots of bugs!
Sundays

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #251716 by Beltie
I've noticed them on special recently so might just give it a go - always been a bit sceptical but there's enough of you saying they work to convince me. What's the betting they'll be full price again now!

More
15 years 2 months ago #252056 by Angie
I've got a little mark on the ceiling from my robo/raid can, but that's only because it's positioned a little too close (we have a little awkward shelf right up high that's no good for anything else).
Have had one for three summers now and it has been brilliant. Our first summer in this house was just disgusting... first time I ever lived in the country and there were flies everywhere.
Hubby is another one who has asthma, hayfever etc and is not affected by it at all.

Echo Ridge - Dexters, Sheepies and Labradors

"Don't wait for the light to appear at the end of the tunnel. Stride down there and light the bl**dy thing yourself!" - Sarah Henderson

More
15 years 2 months ago #252087 by kathken
same angie. the first year we moved here to the country, we couldnt believe the flies. we cooked a silverside the first weekend, and OMG, the house was absolutely swarming. the first thing we did to spend money was get screen doors, so at least we could get some air flow without the flies. money well spent and the best investment we made.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
15 years 2 months ago #252131 by NZ Appaloosas
Boiling mint will keep flies away too. Unfortunately, it's hard to keep a pot of mint boiling during fly season.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 2 months ago #252373 by devan
The good thing about the warehouse one too is that you can set it for day or night or both. If you have it going day only it last alot longer

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
15 years 2 months ago #252420 by LouiseL
Dear all

Thank you for all the comments and I am pleased it was a useful thread! Shame it is so cold here in Dunedin (where has summer gone) that I may not need it - unless we get an Indian summer?!

Cheers
Louise

More
15 years 2 months ago #252545 by scooter

sundaysbest;229854 wrote: To anyone who has one of those automatic sprayers - that go off every 30mins or whatever with a little pssst spray into the room - have you noticed your ceiling getting discoloured or anything like that??? From the continual spray?
Sundays

OH stuck the robocan sprayer too close to the ceiling (it was up on the pantry) and it has left a marked spray patch on the ceiling [:(!]

You used to be able to get "commercial" strength, not sure if you still can.

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."

More
15 years 2 months ago #252563 by moggy
We got one of those UV light fly electrocuter things from Bunnings. Works a treat, and very satisfying as you can hear the blighters being zapped. It also collects them in the base so you just empty it outside for the chickens to clean up.

More
15 years 2 months ago #252584 by sundaysbest

moggy;230887 wrote: We got one of those UV light fly electrocuter things from Bunnings. Works a treat, and very satisfying as you can hear the blighters being zapped. It also collects them in the base so you just empty it outside for the chickens to clean up.

Sounds interesting - tell me more?! Never heard of it... will have to research!

Sundays

More
15 years 2 months ago #252604 by moggy
It is about 25-30 cm tall, 10 cm diameter. It plugs into the mains and can be hung up. Costs next to nothing to run. It has a UV strip light in the middle and a metal mesh around it. The flies are attracted to the light, fly towards it and are zapped when they get too close.

More
15 years 2 months ago #252641 by Prim
Moggy, don't they stink as the fly is being sizzled?

More
15 years 2 months ago #252643 by moggy
Nope. The current is enough to kill them, but it doesn't cook them.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds