computer hard drives

More
13 years 5 months ago #16691 by kathken
computer hard drives was created by kathken
has anyone had their hard drives upgraded/upsized?? and if so how much did it cost roughly.

my laptop (which is a year old now) is 80GB HDD, and 1GB DDR2, and it's got really slow in the last few months. there are new programmes which have been installed since i bought it, and some of them are quite big.

the pc properties tell me i have:
C drive: 7.2GB free space of 33.0GB
Data: 32.6GB free space of 32.7GB.

so is it a question of hard drive space......and do i need to increase the hard drive size.

any pc techies who can advise please. thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #249526 by ame
Replied by ame on topic computer hard drives
The figures you give are a little confusing. It seems to me that you have 33Gb of free space (or maybe 32.6 or 32.7Gb). If this is the case, then almost half of your 80Gb drive is free, i.e. you don't need to upgrade it.

If you do want to upgrade it then you can get the prices for new (blank) drives from www.pricespy.co.nz

You can then do one of two things:

1) Replace the exisiting drive with a new, bigger, drive
2) Add a new drive to the PC, which gives you more space, but which will appear as drive D or E.

If you choose option 1 then you need to then format and install the OS on the new (blank) drive, or somehow copy the contents of the old drive onto the new drive and configure the OS to use the extra space. If you are not comfortable doing this then you should find a reputable PC service shop who will do it for you for a reasonable fee.

If your PC is running slow then it's unlikely to be related to disc space (after all, there seems to be plenty). I suggest you do a full virus scan (get Avast! if you haven't already) and a malware scan (using Spybot S&D or Hijack This!). It's possible you have a virus or some other unwanted passenger hitching a ride on your PC.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask about anything else if it's not clear.

A

More
13 years 5 months ago #249535 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic computer hard drives
thanks ame.

the c drive - this is the hard drive yeah?

in the computer properties, it says:

C Drive
total GB = 33GB
used space = 25.7GB
free space = 7.25GB

D drive (data)
total GB = 32.7GB
used space = 90.5MB
free space = 32.6GB

i am right in thinking the C drive is programmes etc, and the D drive is data of files and folders, pics etc etc. sorry - i'm not too techie with hardware.
i'm confused with the two drives?!?
if the C drive is nearly full - is this programmes and data?????? i don't get it - sorry.

as far as anti virus goes - i run Escan - a real time anti virus programme. runs a scan every day, and performs definition updates numerous times a day. i've only had 2 viruses in 12 months.
i shall try a malware scan.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 5 months ago #249538 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic computer hard drives
Yes, it looks like you have a C: drive filled with Windows, installed programs, and other assorted files. You also have a D: drive which is barely used. Both of the C: and D: drives are on your hard drive, which has been partitioned to give half each.

Out of your total usable space of 33+33=66Gb, you are using 26+0.09 = 26Gb. You have tons of room, you hard drive is not even half full, you just need to rearrange some of the files better.

Yes, changing your hard drive is an option, although you don't need to for a while yet.

Do you use your digital camera a lot? Download lots of music, movies, pictures, other stuff? Most likely it automatically gets put in the My Documents folder, which resides on C: drive. If you move all of these files to a spot on D: Drive, you will free up all that space in C:

By the way, your D: drive is virtually empty, very much nothing in it.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 5 months ago #249539 by kathken
yes wyseyes, i do use a digital camera a lot, hi res photos and videos. but i recently moved them all off the pc and onto a usb drive, mind you this was only 2GB worth. i don't download anything by way of music movies etc. i really only use my laptop for email and internet, and my photos, i have a few word docs.

i will add - i am using vista. i have some big programmes running eg some of the biggest ones are: MS office ultimate (620MB), adobe reader 200MB, acer arcade deluxe (came with laptop) 316MB, these are the biggest ones i see, there are lots of other programme 100 MB or so, and less.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 5 months ago #249544 by wyseyes
At a guess you have lots more files there in your My Documents that you thought you took off.

There is a great little utility for showing you where all the space is taken up at windirstat.info/ . It will tell you how much space is taken and where.

Then again, I'm not hugely up on Vista, and how hungry it is on space.

You might also run CCleaner, it can remove all the temporary files that internet surfing can take up. You also might want to reduce the browser cache to stop it expanding too much as well.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
13 years 5 months ago #249569 by kathken
i just ran a separate virus check on the memory and registry files, and it came up with 2 errors.

adware.onestep Adware - was removed.
HKCUsoftwaremicrosoftwindowscurrentversionvirustrigger - was removed.

i've googled spybot S&D and hijack this, but there are so many links and i don't trust some of them websites (i know... i'm being over cautious).

does anyone in the know care to give me a trusted link???!!!!????

fanx.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 5 months ago #249585 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic computer hard drives
If its an Acer then chuck it in the bin and get a new computer :p
If the bin isn't an option then run a defrag on your hard drive and if you haven't got a decent antivirus then download AGV and run a full system scan.
As has previously been said your drive is only half full and you should be able to run at a decent speed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
13 years 4 months ago #249598 by wyseyes
You seem to have gone off on a tangent - the problem is with your filled C drive, not viruses.

Windows Directory Statistics will easily tell you what is taking up all that space.
Then you can figure out what you can move over to D drive, to free up more room on C drive.

Your two 'errors' were removed by your antivirus program, there is nothing else you can do about them, they are thankfully gone.

oh, DON'T defrag your hard drive at this time!!!! With a full hard drive, it will take approximately 17 days to complete. Wait until you have more space on C.

More
13 years 4 months ago #249605 by Bunter
Replied by Bunter on topic computer hard drives
I dont claim to be any sort of computer expert but my computer has got real slow since upgrading open office and going onto broadband and it spends half its life telling me it is running on virtual memory. I have been told I need more RAM for it to effectively run all thats on it now, especially if I have more than 1 or 2 things going at once.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
13 years 4 months ago #249614 by ame
Drive C is not full. It has 25% of its space free. Defragging a hard drive can be done at any time. It will not take 17 days! If it does take a long time it can be started and stopped any time at your convenience. Hard disk space availability does not affect the speed of the PC, that is generally processor speed and available RAM. If you are running many programs at the same time your PC may slow down a little. Poorly written virus checkers and other background tasks may slow it down too, so will Skype if it decides your machine is going to be a super-node. If your machine is running a virus or worm that will also slow everything down.

Check for viruses. Check for malware. Remove any unnecessary background programs.

A

More
13 years 4 months ago #249623 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic computer hard drives
2nd what Ame says. With my limited PC knowledge! Our desktop went really slow for a bit and starting the thing in windows that shows resources and processor activity, it indicated that the processor was running at 97% even when not doing any tasks.

Updated, scanned & cleaned and everything back to normal. Turned out there were 4 viruses on there and nephews girlfriend had been surfing on sites without updating and running virus scanner.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
13 years 4 months ago #249733 by kayjay
Replied by kayjay on topic computer hard drives
Kathken, your problem is that you have Vista OS and only 1GB ram. 1GB ram will really only cope with Vista let alone adding something like Open Office. Get another 1GB ram installed in your laptop and you will notice a great leap in performance.

More
13 years 4 months ago #249740 by kathken
kayjay.....i think you are on the nail. when i bought this laptop with vista, i was told vista used at least 512mb to run. so that combined with the big programmes i now have, i feel this really is the problem. when i first got the laptop, it ran fine for months, but since i have added numerous (big) programmes, it has got slower and slower.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 4 months ago #249742 by ame
It only runs slower when you *run* all the software (at the same time). Installing the software to the hard drive has no effect on how fast the computer runs. Furthermore, the size of each application bears no relationship to how fast (or slowly) it will run.

A

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds