Mechanics???? I've holed the sump.

More
13 years 5 months ago #16680 by witheze
Of my 2001 Mitzi Lancer. Does the engine need to come out to replace it? The neighbour seems to think so..... And it's dripping a drop every 5 secs with the engine not going.... If I top up the oil ,can I make a dash to the garage 25 ks away???? OH bugger!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #249369 by FencerMan
Ok, DO NOT START IT!

To replace the sump is reasonably simple! Drain the oil, unscrew it, whack on new sump (with a new gasket, or silicone) replace with new oil (may as well do the filter while your there :P

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 5 months ago #249371 by FencerMan
Lucky you have a reasonably common car aswell, head to pick a part to look for another one, alternitively under the bonnet somewhere is the little shiny plate with seriel numbers etc. Get the engine number and ring your local mitsi dealer to order you a new one. :)

Do something.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 5 months ago #249374 by FencerMan
Also should add, there are ALOT of different engines put into lancers, so that engine model number is important, and if you get that your life will be much easier when tracking down a new one :)

Do something.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 5 months ago #249375 by powerguy
Depending on what material the sump is made from it may be possible and cheaper to weld the crack/hole rather than replace it. If it is easy to remove (as per Fencerman's post) it would be best to do that and take it in for repair.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
13 years 5 months ago #249376 by FencerMan
How big is the hole? You should actually be able to plug it up with someone like knead-it which will work as a temporary fix. If its steel, it could be welded and repaired for next to nothing, if its alloy you will need to replace it!

Do something.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 5 months ago #249397 by cantyguy
If its just a small hole try a self tapping screw and fibre washer to get you to the garage for repair.

More
13 years 5 months ago #249418 by Kiwi303
a drop every 5 secs sounds like screw fix. that would get you to the garage. I highly doubt the engine will have to come out, it depends on where the undercar struts and crossmembers are located.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds