I want to buy a car

More
15 years 4 months ago #249531 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic I want to buy a car

Kiwi303;227472 wrote: the 4ws was good, I had an '88, not a race homologation model, but still the 2L twin carb, far better than the single carb or EFI of the same period with 2ws.

The problem with hondas is they don't survive being pushed hard, a honda driven sedately by an old granny can be reliable, the same car driven spiritedly as designed for (They were SPORTS cars after all) tends to fall apart!

So are you saying I'm an old granny or explaining why my second Prelude was a dud???? [:0] [;)]

At heart, I'm a Ford gal, but as my husband seems to feel I need to clarify my position, I'm a Ford-USA gal, as opposed to Ford-AU gal...not quite sure why I have to make that distinction.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #249532 by NZ Appaloosas

sod;227458 wrote: Only old are Mini New are ?????????? :D

Still cute! LOL

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 4 months ago #249546 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic I want to buy a car

Kiwi303;227472 wrote: the 4ws was good, I had an '88, not a race homologation model, but still the 2L twin carb, far better than the single carb or EFI of the same period with 2ws.

The problem with hondas is they don't survive being pushed hard, a honda driven sedately by an old granny can be reliable, the same car driven spiritedly as designed for (They were SPORTS cars after all) tends to fall apart!

Oh yes they do. I am a Honda girl from way back, driving the shed civic at the mo, but sold the Accord in Aussie just under 300,000 and it was still going strong and doing better that the purchasers ford telsta of lesser age and years.

I also had a prelude in my single life, flogged the guts out of that and it just went and went. Compare any of them to my Husband's variety of fords and the Honda rescue team wins hands down every time. :D [8D]

More
15 years 4 months ago #249548 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic I want to buy a car

NZ Appaloosas;227569 wrote: So are you saying I'm an old granny or explaining why my second Prelude was a dud???? [:0] [;)]

At heart, I'm a Ford gal, but as my husband seems to feel I need to clarify my position, I'm a Ford-USA gal, as opposed to Ford-AU gal...not quite sure why I have to make that distinction.

Diane

Your pic :D But if the first was a limited edition race homologisation model, it would have been engineered better with the features they needed to make a minimum amount of for the "production car" class volume cut off. Since race cars get pushed harder, they tend to be beefed up a bit more, while the civilian market has to make do with what the bean counters let the engineers do, so long as it's not too expensive :( bloody beancounters ought to be banned :P but then everything would be a ferrari-esque vehicle and I wouldn't be able to afford any :P

Ford USA = Big trucks with bigger V8 motors, and big floaty boat type cars with V8's

Ford OZ = Sleek car-based utes made to go fast not look big, with I6 motors and turbos.

Most of Australian cars are closer design wise to Euro specs, Line a Crown Victoria and a Falcon of the same year up, look at the overhangs at front and rear... thats one big difference between US and OZ cars :D :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 4 months ago #249553 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic I want to buy a car
Holden all the way here, although we have a Hilux for the business

More
15 years 4 months ago #249575 by sod
Replied by sod on topic I want to buy a car
Kiwi 303 Falcon XA/ cortina and other falcon/cortina and agree most Yank Tanks are just that. Take yank motor to Europe/Britain halve size double power output :)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 4 months ago #249629 by devan
Replied by devan on topic I want to buy a car
Thanks for all the input guys, at the moment i am the leading bid on an Escudo which finishes tommorrow so will see what happens [:0] Might be too late!

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
15 years 4 months ago #249668 by NZ Appaloosas

Kiwi303;227589 wrote: Your pic :D

:p LOL

Kiwi303;227589 wrote:
Ford USA = Big trucks with bigger V8 motors, and big floaty boat type cars with V8's

Ford OZ = Sleek car-based utes made to go fast not look big, with I6 motors and turbos.

It is the trucks (F250 dually, in particular) and the Mustang that own my heart. I do have to say that I was in hoggy heaven when I came here and saw all the 'utes'. I have loved the Ranchero (and the El Camino since I grew up GM, LOL) for a long time, and was devastated when that body style disappeared from the US--and Camino and Ranchero owners hold onto them. In over 20 years of looking, I found one used Ranchero to purchase (that didn't cost an arm, leg and half your torso), and that had 3 blown cylinders, no floor on the passenger side (not even under the seat) and a serious case of cancer in the bed.

Kiwi303;227589 wrote:
Most of Australian cars are closer design wise to Euro specs, Line a Crown Victoria and a Falcon of the same year up, look at the overhangs at front and rear... thats one big difference between US and OZ cars :D :P

Hubby points out that, apparently, both the F-series and the Mustangs are direct-imported from the US, and converted to right-hand drive. BIL, who was in car sales for nearly 10 years (past 14 months in other sales role), also says there's a diff in the manufacturing. I keep my mouth shut about NAFTA...my last Ford was actually Mexican in manufacture (and in looks and performance---hot hot hot!! :D )

I have no idea why they say there's a diff. Maybe they're just smart enough not to get into the "debate" of Holden v. Ford with the matriarch of the family??? ;)

Diane

More
15 years 4 months ago #249671 by NZ Appaloosas

sod;227617 wrote: Kiwi 303 Falcon XA/ cortina and other falcon/cortina and agree most Yank Tanks are just that. Take yank motor to Europe/Britain halve size double power output :)

Oh, I dunno...my Ford ZX-2 was getting roughly 50 miles to the gallon, and that was "city" driving...couldn't really talk about highway driving as I always seemed to end up doing 80 miles an hour rather than the 65 max... :cool:

My '76 Skylark was the most "gas hungry" of any of my cars, I only got about 25 miles to the gallon (first car and I was a student, so I remember that one perfectly! Party-places always were decided on gas tank level and available $$ in wallet.) The '85 Mustang got about 40 miles per gallon, and the Plymouth Horizon got about around 30 or 35. With the exception of the ZX-2, each car came to an untimely "death" (Skylark was broken into and vandalised, Mustang was "turtled" by a very-quickly-made ex, and something got caught in the Horizon's engine--unfortunately for me, I knew most of the firemen who came to put the fire out [:I] )

Diane

More
15 years 4 months ago #249694 by Kiwi303

NZ Appaloosas;227720 wrote: : I have loved the Ranchero (and the El Camino since I grew up GM, LOL)

Diane

The COmmodore was to be built in the US as several different Pontiac and Chev models with a few different panels on (google G8). Dunno if thats still going ahead with the bailout, and they were going to release the US build HSV Maloo Ute with a new nose as an El Camino.

More
15 years 4 months ago #250324 by ravenseyes
Replied by ravenseyes on topic I want to buy a car
What about a diesel. Daughter has a 1991 Terranno as her car. Doesn't get over 110, fits ALL the horse gear and feed inside and solid and reliable as. She got rear ended over the vacation (not her fault she was already stopped and speedy guy misjudged his stopping distance), all she had to do was brush his paint off the tyre cover on the back :-)

Yes it costs a bit more for tyres but it is a lot more solid and useful than a wee hatch which is what most of her friends have.

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
15 years 4 months ago #250918 by devan
I have a 1992 Terrano and the plan was for him to have that, but i don't want him to have it as his 1st car for a few diff reasons.
1/ it has recently had $3500 worth of work done on it (stupid i know but things kept adding up)

2/ it will be safe as houses for him but not for anyone that he might happen to hit

3/ I'm quite attached to the old girl and its the only "tow" vehicle i have

I thought if i got him a cheapie for his 1st vehicle then i can assess how responsible he's going to be and decide from there if he gets anything better, and in fact once he is brought his 1st car, i figure he can jolly well buy the next one himself

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
15 years 4 months ago #251025 by Kiwi303
I saw a nice little kia sportage today, 1996 4wd slightly more compact than the Rav 4. NA 2 litre petrol, with a proper low ratio 4wd box, not bad buying at $3990 either. It looks to be an ex-contractors vehicle since it has a trailer light jack on the front bumper and the for tow points were scuffed, so someone hooked it up behind the tractor on his rounds about the farms and drove home in it leaving the tractor there between jobs, that presumes it would have been serviced reguarly as part of the capital equipment along with the tractors. :) Not much use to you since it's all the way down here, but I would have liked to have had the cash to be able to suppliment the Hilux with a more compact 4wd. :P

More
15 years 4 months ago #251037 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic I want to buy a car
devan - I have a problem with the fist car being a cheapie as I saw it happen so many times with other parents. Very few of those cars made it through the first year and the reason was that the kids too saw it as a cheapie and didn't give a rats about what happened to it. At 16, we know that boys especially think they are six feet tall and bulletproof but alas this isn't the case.

If you are going to buy him a cheapie, then can I suggest that your priority goes into checking the safety rating of the vehicle so that if he does crash it, and please God he won't, chances are that he will be OK.

You are right to say that if you trash this one, you are buying your own next time. That might work!

Don't know about others experience with this but just sharing mine.

More
15 years 4 months ago #251110 by devan
Yeah i know what you mean Didi and i'm hoping (against all odds) that he will show a bit of responsibility and maturity in this situation. I have asked him what he thinks of those escudos and he thinks they're pretty cool so hopefully if he thinks the car is cool he'll look after it. I wasn't gonna get him something "shameful" if you know what i mean? And yes safety is paramount

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds