I want to buy a car

More
15 years 4 months ago #249303 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic I want to buy a car

AdoubleJ;227309 wrote: My sons first car? My 1964 Anglia!! :D [:I]

Wow I remember them, they were cool cars, and the Humber 80s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #249316 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic I want to buy a car
My first car was a 1967 datsun and the only car I ever made a profit on. :p

the car I currently drive its going to be E's first car in nearly 4 years time, its a 1985 honda civic but mummy will upgrade at some point soon but the civic will remain the shopping car because of the damage it suffers every time it goes to the supermarket carpark.:rolleyes::rolleyes:[}:)][}:)][B)]

Mind you, I have a thing at the mo about kids having their cars bought for them, it didn't happen for me yet I find myself doing it for E... what is it they say, do as i say and not as I do....:o:o:o:o

More
15 years 4 months ago #249323 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic I want to buy a car
I bought my girls' first cars for them when they were 15/16 as it cost around $8000 to buy a reliable car. They used to travel into Auckland every day so I didn't want them breaking down on the motorway. However, the cars were Registered in my name with them as principal drivers for insurance purposes. That way, if they had messed up, I could pull the plug on them using them. Both girls took enormous pride in their cars and kept them spotless as well. One was a Mazda Familia and one was a Nissan Pulsar FXGT. The latter one I credit with saving my girls lives when they were involved in an accident (innocent party) and the car completely sumersaulted end over end, landing back on it's wheels. Written off. Three girls in it, all belted in and none seriously hurt. A friend's son was in a head on crash in his and it didn't even twist the chassis. Brilliant car then but I'm not sure the newer Pulsars are in the same boat safety wise.

The biggest thing kids have to learn when starting out is just how fast accidents happen. It sounds weird but I have always said that a minor accident is the best teacher a new driver can have.

More
15 years 4 months ago #249355 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic I want to buy a car
A litte 323 or Corolla is the best I reckon! :)
Also if you are thinking of a wee 4x4 or something like that repairs and replacement tyres etc will be more expensive for your son too.

Sundays

More
15 years 4 months ago #249398 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic I want to buy a car
The first car my eldest daughter ever brought herself was a Toyota FXGT and because it was a GT she paid very high premiums but she I have to say worked her butt off at her part time job at a local service station and managed all the payments.

More
15 years 4 months ago #249400 by Birman Babe
Replied by Birman Babe on topic I want to buy a car
Didi, my 18 yr old nephews 1st car was registered in my BIL's name and one day BIL got a letter from the police warning him that if he was seen at the street racing at Manukau one more time he would have his car confiscated for 28 days...as you can imagine, that went down like a ton of bricks :-)

More
15 years 4 months ago #249403 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic I want to buy a car
Now that is interesting as I wouldn't have thought the Police could do that for just attending. Certain my girl's went to them (mind this is a few years ago) but were not stupid enough to do burnouts etc. They also knew that NOONE else was allowed to drive their cars and to the best of my knowledge, that was respected.

One other thing I did was tell them that as we were well known in the district, I had asked everyone I knew to let me know if they ever saw them speeding or doing anything daft. That worked too. It all worked out for the best.

One of their guy friends who I thought was the most responsible young man you could find was lent his parents WRX (with their knowledge) and when challenged to a race while at a Gas station... unfortunately the testosterone got the better of him Guess what happened. Maybe girls are better when it comes to learning to drive safely? Fencerman - how many vehicles have you destroyed? Or was that someone else that used to be on the site? Apologies if it was. Grin. Just thought you could give the young people some advise on how to behave themselves now that you are "growed up".

More
15 years 4 months ago #249409 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic I want to buy a car
Lol, maybe you are thinking about K303? I do have 3 write offs though, but different circumstances! No1, rolled a 4WD off road, number 2, i was fencing and the car was parked in the driveway, and the customer reversed her ute into it, and number 3, fell asleep at the wheel in my dairy farming days.... Lucky to walk away from that one...

K303 is the one with the testosterone caused crashes though...lol

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
15 years 4 months ago #249417 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic I want to buy a car
lol, testosterone caused crashes? :P not me, :D

I've written off one having a sneezing fit while going around a corner, lost control and went off to the outside of the curve, overcorrected and ended up ramming into the ditch further down the road on what was the inside edge.

Other than that I've had gearboxes fail (2 mitzis), 2 headgaskets blow (one petrol, one diesel) stolen and stripped car, Front harmonic balancer fail ($450 part on a $220 car, I bought another rather than fix it), one failed WOF from illegal Mods by the Previous Owner (mods caught by the local garage after passing 2 wof-while-u-wait WOFs in town)

Not a good run with vehicles :D Only one of the head gaskets could be called Yestosterone :P that was a twin carb honda prelude I would boot the gas with :P and hondas are notoriously unreliable if pushed hard :(

I drive hard, and drive close to the limits. But I likewise use performance tyres on economy cars and weight the dice to land my way :P I've several times had tyres costing more than the car they were on, simply so my testosterone wouldn't end in a crash :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 4 months ago #249419 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic I want to buy a car
ymmmmm, preludes....I had a numbered one, from a race-production run--one of the best little cars I've driven.

diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 4 months ago #249424 by sundaysbest
Replied by sundaysbest on topic I want to buy a car
Egad preludes!!! I won't comment...

And secondly my first car was a Corolla FXGT and premiums cost me jack all... cause I was sensible!!! haha

Sundays

More
15 years 4 months ago #249427 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic I want to buy a car
Oh, not all preludes are created equally--my next one was a dud! But the one after that was quite nice, altho' not as 'racy' as my first one. Now, I'm in the mood for something like a mini--new body or old :D

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 4 months ago #249430 by sod
Replied by sod on topic I want to buy a car
Only old are Mini New are ?????????? :D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
15 years 4 months ago #249442 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic I want to buy a car

NZ Appaloosas;227455 wrote: Oh, not all preludes are created equally--
Diane

the 4ws was good, I had an '88, not a race homologation model, but still the 2L twin carb, far better than the single carb or EFI of the same period with 2ws.

The problem with hondas is they don't survive being pushed hard, a honda driven sedately by an old granny can be reliable, the same car driven spiritedly as designed for (They were SPORTS cars after all) tends to fall apart!

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 4 months ago #249512 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic I want to buy a car
Devan there was a Suzuki Escudo in the Waikato Times classifieds last night, $2995, said it was in tidy condition and WOFed etc...looked like a Hamilton East phone number....

I have an old Diahatsu Feroza, 4x4 but mainly gets used for on road now, I have town and country tires on it and while it is expensive to get all four replaced at once (800+), in the 170,000km I have done in it, these tyres have lasted about 80,000km per set which I am happy with. The Ferozas are about the same size/weight as Suzuki 4WD BUT I found them much more stable on the road when I was comparing them to the Suzukis way back when.

The upside for teenage drivers is that on the open road, 110km is about as fast as you're gonna go, and if there is an uphill stretch, even slower [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds