I want to buy a car

More
13 years 5 months ago #16666 by devan
I want to buy a car was created by devan
I need to get a 1st car for my son, nothing grunty! i was looking at a suzuki escudo or a vitara or something sim...older model of course. There are a couple on trade me that i have my eye on but i dont want to spend more than $2000.
Anyone got anything suitable that they want to sell?

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #249229 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic I want to buy a car
Would be interested to know what is the best car to get for a teenagers first car - insurance-wise as well as safety wise.

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
13 years 5 months ago #249240 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic I want to buy a car

Clods;227240 wrote: Would be interested to know what is the best car to get for a teenagers first car - insurance-wise as well as safety wise.

Hond City :D small uncool, underpowered and non-turbo with a itsy bitsy engine.

The worst is a HSV or a Skyline :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 5 months ago #249242 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic I want to buy a car
Our eldest way back then we brought him an old Hillman Hunter, it was a great wee car, on cng so was so cheap. No probs with insurance. 2nd Son started with a little Ford Laser. 1st Daughter had a little Mitsi mirage and the 2nd daughter had a lovely wee Mazda sedan which was a great little car, chepa to run no prbs with insurance. she has actually just sold it and brought a Mitsi Lancer.
Insurance lady told us the little plain Toyotas are good insurance wise for the young ones. Anything 1500cc or under is good for them to start with.
We were told to stay away from Hondas as they are bad in accidents.

More
13 years 5 months ago #249252 by devan
Replied by devan on topic I want to buy a car
I had a little mazda 323 hatch back as my 2nd car, pusy old viva stationwagon as my 1st (shame) but it fit all my horse gear in the back and wouldn't go over 80km's. I liked the look of these escudo's, slightly higher than a car, only 1600, kinda cute and not too dorky :) It also has a tow bar which could be handy

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 5 months ago #249253 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic I want to buy a car
Vitara's are ok but maybe a bit hungry on petrol. The 2.0l V6 has a timing chain that is expensive to re-do when needed. Ours cost about $1200. The 1600 is probably better value and the smaller one (1300?) would be pretty underpowered.

If you hunt around you may find one of the diesels if you want to go that way.

One good thing is that they have a separate chassis, not moncoque, so may be a bit more protection in a head on.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

More
13 years 5 months ago #249255 by sod
Replied by sod on topic I want to buy a car
Ours all started with a mini then they started racing each other in them[}:)][}:)][}:)] moved up to faster minis(done with my help[;)] mum upset:rolleyes: )

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 5 months ago #249260 by devan
Replied by devan on topic I want to buy a car
Yeah i'm looking at the 1600 version, didn't realise there was a 1300 or i'd prob go for that :D

More
13 years 5 months ago #249263 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic I want to buy a car
Devon - the Rav's are known for being petrol hungry as per powerguy. Two suggestions here.

First: whatever you are looking at, check with your insurance company what it will cost to insure. They have a list of vehicles most likely to be stolen etc and there will be a premium on it as a result. Anything modified, the same. They may even turn down TP Only insurance on some vehicles, if that is what you are planning.

Second suggestion - I have the Dog and Lemon guide and happy to let you know what it says about any particular model if that helps - or you could borrow it as my daughter has finally found a new car. Phew.

More
13 years 5 months ago #249276 by kindajojo
Replied by kindajojo on topic I want to buy a car
we bought our son a Kia Rio off Trademe...cheap and about a 1400cc engine. I dont like the Ravs as they appear a little unstable and they are expensive.
The insurance companies dont like subaru's, skylines, anything with turbo, and modifications, slicks or dropped suspension? stereo systems...I think it says more about the driver than the car.

how these teemagers can afford them I dont know.

More
13 years 5 months ago #249282 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic I want to buy a car
The rightcar website gives safety rating for at least some older models. Would be worth checking out.

hilldweller

More
13 years 5 months ago #249285 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic I want to buy a car
Rav4s are not the most stable vehicle on the road--they have a tendancy to tip if going thru' corners too fast...

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 5 months ago #249290 by AdoubleJ
Replied by AdoubleJ on topic I want to buy a car
My sons first car? My 1964 Anglia!! :D [:I]

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
13 years 5 months ago #249294 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic I want to buy a car
Oh i know the perfect one! its an 1800cc Nissan Pulsar, not too many ks, $1000 and its sold. It has a few dings and scratches so cosmetically not the best, but i know it drives ok, and has just been serviced (i know cos i did it myself! lol) Its travelled between Auckland and Palmy a few times (infact just went back to palmy today) and doesnt seem to miss a beat....

Send me a PM if your interested, wont be for sale till probably easter....and its an auto... [:P]

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
13 years 5 months ago #249295 by powerguy
Replied by powerguy on topic I want to buy a car
I guess that there are going to be a number of factors you will need to consider and rank according to importance.

Airbags? Ties you in to later model cars and more $

Robustness? The Vitara may be great if you live on a rough dirt road but is it needed in Onewhero (assuming he still is at home).

Economy. Small cars are economical but not much good if he meets one of the trucks in the wrong way coming out of Glenbrook

When we got a first car for my nephew, we settled on a 1989 Mitsi Sigma. NZ assembled so no problem with parts. No electronic bits to fail - manual windows! Big enough to offer a degree of protection but not so big he felt invulnerable (but teenage lads are bulletproof anyway). Red so it could be seen. Cheap enough so we only needed to get 3rd party. The sacrifice we made was fuel economy but felt that while he learned to handle himself on the road that was a minor matter.

Renewable power systems - hydro, wind and solar.
Grid tie and off grid (stand alone)
www.poweron.kiwi.nz

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds