computer update probs anyone?

More
13 years 5 months ago #16585 by feedqueen
We have 2 computers in our office, mine was working perfectly when I checked it early this morning. When I went to it later it had done an update around 7.2o and all the settings have changed. I have vista on mine- the icons on the desktop have grown in size and the actual text and images on all my sites have grown huge and now dont all fit on the screen. I have tried using control panel to make icons small and adjust it back to how it was but it completly ignores me!!My other half doesnt have vista some settings had changed eg had set its homepage default to google and now he doesnt appear to be able to get email from me. Any ideas, not comp savvy at all and this is driving me nuts.Even the pop up boxs are huge and I cant move them enough to close out of or even reach the ok buttons.Hellllp please someone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #248274 by beedee
I had that prob several years ago and the smarties here told me to hit the little square on the bottom right hand corner.. where it should say 100% and lo and behold all was back again.. I had never seen that choice before then .. so might be worthy of a try..
Yes sumfink funny happend to mine this morn and I couldnt get Explorer and then got a message that it was a microsoft prob.. but I had no updates required so I guess it had done them.. there is a big virus going around hitting health systems [no not clinical, puter ones!!!] and I know my local med centre got hit plus auck med uni..
good luck nuffink more frustrating than unable to have the netty proper.. thanks goodness for the Grants and wyseyes etc on here.. I would still be hermit-ing

More
13 years 5 months ago #248299 by feedqueen
thanks, but i dont seem to have a little square box as described...Why do these things think they know better than me how i like things and change things to suit themselves???

More
13 years 5 months ago #248310 by beedee
Its on the same line where once you have the screen page up and done is on the left corner then the word internet and then a magnifying glass with the + sign in the middle .. so within the screen page, not the bottom line which I think is called a tool bar thingeeeeeee

More
13 years 5 months ago #248326 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic computer update probs anyone?
feedqueen, I have Vista and have had no problems today. Last Update for me was yesterday as I was on the computer - were you? Go into Windows Update and open History and then get back to me with what you have updated today.

Have you done a full virus scan of your computer lately? Not meaning to scare you in any way shape or form but it does sound odd. Have any of your recent Updates failed to install?

Not a computer expert but may just point this in the right direction.

More
13 years 5 months ago #248340 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic computer update probs anyone?
I downloaded a new update of adaware same day as your downloads feedqueen, and now when the computer starts, I get "'pages"" telliing me something is missing in one of the folders. It goes for about 15 or so entries and has to be cleared before I can proceed further....[}:)]

I am about to see if there is an update to the update that will stop that problem. Having said that, the following scan found a heap of spyware and a trojan lurking that the programme removed, so my problems could be about that.

More
13 years 5 months ago #248382 by feedqueen
thanks for that guys, have played around again and whilst it is better still cant change the font size so everything is still extra large.I have nortons and it tells me everything is fine and current.
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.49.2376.0)
Installation date: ‎23/‎01/‎2009 7:48 a.m.
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Important
Install this update to revise the definition files used to detect spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
This is what downloaded automatically.
Still cant find button as described, must be hiding somewhere or I am being very blind!!

More
13 years 5 months ago #248394 by spoook
The magnification Beedee mentioned is in Internet Explorer, bottom right corner. It won't help you re the icons on your desktop though.

Right click an empty space on the desktop.
Select View.
Click Classic Icons.

Another way is to use the scroll wheel on your mouse or trackball With the cursor on the desktop, press and hold the CTRL key and scroll the wheel to make icons larger or smaller.

Good luck

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 5 months ago #248397 by DiDi
This is the Update I had downloaded automatically and no problems so it is unlikely to be anthing to do with this.

spook has it right. :D Have you found the bottom toolbar yet?

More
13 years 5 months ago #248488 by feedqueen
yaah, found it , thanks so much for your helps:). Now does anyone use quickbooks enterprise, having problems finding our monthly reports in the latest version..this is the first month since upgrade and have to do GST this week....

More
13 years 5 months ago #248511 by DiDi
Say what....no. Can't help with that one - I just play with my computer and love nothing better that Googling to sort out issues. Had to change my Registry today ( a Vista hicup) to allow PowerPoint viewing (noting that the email had gone through two different virus scanners). I'm bored with my talent and need a job. Anyone?

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds