Drying Salami

More
13 years 5 months ago #16536 by Simkin
Drying Salami was created by Simkin
I bought a salami ring from a butcher and when I unwrapped it at home I noticed that the salami was still soft[:0]

In the butchery the salamis were hanging high up and I now guess for drying.

What should I watch out for while the salami is continuing to dry? Any recommendations for where I should put it? It smells yummy, though :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247505 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Drying Salami
The last one we bought the guy selling it said to put it in the cupboard for a couple of days before putting it in the fridge. Ours got left out for about a week, but I think that was too long.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247548 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Drying Salami
Hmm, I was wondering more about the air drying thing - ours is soft, meaning squishy. Was yours firm when you bought it, Moggy?

More
13 years 5 months ago #247600 by Seaside
Replied by Seaside on topic Drying Salami
In Hugh Withersomething-Fernwhatsit's 'Pig in a Day', they say to hang home-made salami and chorizos somewhere dry and breezy for at least 3 weeks, and up to 6 to 8 weeks.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 5 months ago #247610 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Drying Salami
Only some salamis are designed to be dried, in NZ. In parts of the world with the correct temperatures and the correct bacteria, it is unlikely that botulism will grow. In Italy and other warm European and Asian countries, botulism is a huge problem, because it is the most toxic poison for humans. 1 one-millionth of a gram will kill an adult. In warm European countries and hot NZ, this problem is got over to a huge extent by innoculating the salami with the right bacteria, and holding them at the correct temperature for the right bacteria to grow, which should stop the Clostridium botulinum growing.
So, unless you know that the salami that you have bought is designed to be dried (in which situation it should be dry when you buy it), either store it in the fridge and eat it moist, or dry it out in a food dehydrator or oven at over 45C.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247630 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Drying Salami
Do not do what we did!!!! We bought some and decided to store it hanging in our basement where it was cool and dry. Not a good plan if you also shut the cat in as well!!!!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 5 months ago #247632 by Simkin
Many thanks. I think I will discard it then :( because I hadn't put it into the fridge and it has been lying around during all the hot weather we had. Don't want to get botulism (and never intended to get botox injections :D ).

More
13 years 5 months ago #247638 by moggy
simkin I would not have thought that botulism would be likely in this situation. Botulism requires anaerobic respiration in order to multiply, so I would doubt something left out in the air would be an issue. Botulism in meat usually arises from improperly canned meat, not cured meat.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247645 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic Drying Salami
Why do you not ring the butcher and ask them what you're supposed to do to it?

I often-times ring and pretend I'm blonde ;)

Many people are very, very nice. Including _ _ _ who I had to ring yesterday about AI for my one cow {blush}.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247889 by LongRidge
moggy, many cases of botulism have happened overseas (not yet in NZ) from salamis being left to dry in air. The interior of the salami is quite low in oxygen. The risk of botulism is very low, but the risk is there. Actually there is more likelihood of foodpoisoning from another bacteria.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247935 by moggy
Longridge. For the salami to have botulism inside, surely it would first have to have the bacteria, in which case eating it before it was dried would carry the same risk. With anything there is always a risk, but home canned veggies would be much higher.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247993 by LongRidge
It is the poisonous by-product of the bacterias growth that is poisonous, so the bacteria must grow before the poison is made. The human gut is too acidic for Clostridium growth to occur.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247994 by moggy
LR, it can in children

More
13 years 5 months ago #247999 by organicltd
Replied by organicltd on topic Drying Salami
I used to own a delicatessen. We sold heaps of salami. All we did was buy them from the manufacturer, keep them in the fridge until required and hang them above the counter and they dried in the air. And this was from a whole range of different suppliers and different types of salami. As usual, longridge talks again about something he has no intimate knowledge of. To much information is as bad as not enough.

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
13 years 5 months ago #248042 by Simkin
Thank you again for saving our salami :)

I did go back to the butcher (they were on holiday until very recently) and there is no chance of botulism bacteria being enclosed because of the process they use to make the salami :)

Time to create page: 0.224 seconds