Dream run to the finish line? One inspection to go...

More
13 years 5 months ago #16475 by reggit
...wooohoo! Our second to last inspection (linings) has been done and passed, so that is only one to go to the one for our Code of Compliance.

That will require, however, that the outside of the house be plastered (over the brick). We want to get that done before the winter kicks in, so we are well on track to getting the house signed off within 12 months of starting it.

Now if we can just find where the gib stoppers and painters are hiding...I think they are still on holiday [}:)] :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246809 by [email protected]
Must be the same ones as ours. Our gib stoppers were supposed to start monday and haven't been seen and the painters (us :) ) were then suppoed to start in the weekend but that won't be happening now. Still can't complain too much and after living in it for three weeks only found one small problem with the building so all in all we have had a really good run

4 acres with Garage/sleepout, a pond with ducks and frogs, lots of trees ready to burst into life in spring and lots of garden beds.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246810 by reggit
Actually its quite nice having one more week of peace and quiet before the hoards descend again [;)] we're getting the whole house gibstopped and seal coated and then we'll catch our breath (and save our pennies) for a while before finishing the rest.

I will really appreciate our kitchen when we get it, working off a low trestle table and one power point in the garage is wearing a bit thin :rolleyes:

Simon, keep in mind for when you get your main house done...the painters are using a sealer that sprays on that is like a really fine plaster, the finish is amazing. Never seen this stuff before, but well worth getting done, even if you intend to do the top layers yourself.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 5 months ago #246819 by Pumpkingirl

tigger;224583 wrote: ...the painters are using a sealer that sprays on that is like a really fine plaster, the finish is amazing. Never seen this stuff before, but well worth getting done, even if you intend to do the top layers yourself.

Congratulations to the gib workers :D Well done!

Do you think that stuff would cover a mass of sins on my walls Tiggs?

More
13 years 5 months ago #246822 by reggit
Well, I have no idea what state yours are in as I don't walk around others houses looking for the flaws (honestly!), but in cases of rough walls, as on the place we were last at, a skim coat of plaster would be better...this is designed to put the finishing touches on plastering which is already top notch (which is why we didn't do it ourselves [;)]

I now know why hubby takes so long between stages for invoices for building work when he is doing other peoples' houses. I assumed putting gib up was just slamming it on and nailing/screwing it off, but he goes along every wall with a straight edge from every possible angle and planes where needed to ensure that the gib is sitting on a dead flat surface of framing.

If I tried doing that it would be like getting four table legs even, I'd end up with no framing left [:0][}:)]

I can also see now why all his building work used to be word of mouth from satisfied customers too [^] Very proud of him.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246824 by Pumpkingirl
Mmmm, I remember going see a House of the Year house and the builder asking me what I thought of the beautiful curved wall that dominated the lounge. Well, it was perfect of course.

But what make it perfect he asked? Good paint job, good plastering? Well yes, both those things, but if the framing and the gibbing behind it wasn't perfect, the finish wouldn't be either. Good work Mr Tigger!

I can appreciate that entirely. While the walls of my house are straight and perfect, the gibbing was not done that carefully (at all!!!!), the plasterers were abysmal [:I] and that buggered me having a nice finish. I can hear Kevin McCloud of Grand Designs musing about it now.. "While they gave it a good go, the finish is appalling, unless you turn out the lights and sit in the dark..."

Sounds like that stuff wouldn't cover my sins[:I]

More
13 years 5 months ago #246854 by Gracelands
I guess then it wouldn't cover the uh, imperfections in the plaster in my kitchen! Pity.

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

More
13 years 5 months ago #246864 by Pumpkingirl

Gracelands;224629 wrote: I guess then it wouldn't cover the uh, imperfections in the plaster in my kitchen! Pity.

Hello Birthday Girl, I have a lovely card sitting here for you. I'm sorry I missed your lunch, I've only just got your invitation. Oops[:I]

You could sit in the dark like me, or we could start a new/old trend of dining by candlelight :D and not allowing people to look at the walls :D

More
13 years 5 months ago #246866 by reggit
How do you feel about adobe look plastering..?? [}:)]

Or lots of pictures to disguise it...?

hard in older houses, Gracelands...wasn't your kitchen done in a textured plaster...?

More
13 years 5 months ago #246870 by Gracelands
Yep, thats what I meant. Its been done in a god-awful adobe-look plaster, which is impossible to clean, and I would love to have a magical spray that instantly covers it all up!

PG, if I ever get away from work before 8.00pm, I promise I will come and visit you. And yes, I do keep the kitchen nice and dark, so no-one can see my horrid walls

"Just living is not enough. One must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower."
Hans Christian Anderson

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds