Come in cat folks- suggestions please

More
13 years 5 months ago #16469 by Hintzashouse
Hi folks, wonder if anyone has some suggestions here that might help.
This lady I know has 2 kittens, both about 1 yr old. One is a girl, she has had since little, the second is a boy who arrived aged 8-9 months about 3 months ago. He was neutered as soon as she got him. The boy whenever he is with the girl will be aggressive to her, to the point that the female is always hiding, timid and has basically evolved to living in a separate part of the house.
The lady was wondering how she might deal with the situation so they can co exist together.
I gather her vet had mentioned Feliway- do you think this would help? Or any suggestions of cat behavioural modification techniques?
thanks HH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246726 by Pumpkingirl
I used to live in a multi-multi cat situation (7 cats) and two just would not get on. Very similar situation, the female was terrorised by a neutered male.

I used Feliway with some effect (ie spraying was lessened) but the aggression continued. Not having any choice in moving at the time, I tried Clomicalm tablets (prozac for cats as I understand it) for the boy. This also had some effect on the intensity of the aggression but didn't stop it, and it wasn't effective enough for me to keep him drugged all the time (and honestly, he was very dopey and spacey).

The only cure in the end was to move out, which we did and both cats have been incredibly happy ever since.

However, your case not being such an intense situation, I wonder if Feliway would work - a couple of people I know have used it and it worked quite well in both cases. They used the plug-in one, over 2-3 months. It's expensive (about $90 initially from memory, then a refill of about $40 or so), however better than giving up their cats! Kate used it too, I can't remember how she got on with it.

I have to say one of the best things we did was to keep both cats locked up at night, at opposite ends of the house. They each had their own space, and it was shut off during the day so they couldn't prowl around each other's sleeping area. That stopped a lot of problems, and gave us more sleep :D

More
13 years 5 months ago #246738 by The Kats Place
I've had a client with two female cats that didn't get on. One she had for years the other was a new rehome. The new one was the bully. We put them in the cattery side by side but seperate from each other for a couple of weeks and when they returned home things had improved. I think a lot of things contributed to the result. When they were here neither was on home ground and when they returned home the both arrived at the same time rather that one already being in residence.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
13 years 5 months ago #246746 by kate
When the kittens first arrived we used Feliway (thanks PG :D ) to help keep Max calm. It seemed to help him.

Having said that, one of the kittens, Swallow, became aggressive towards his sister and she had quite a serious infection due to a fight wound. We tried Feliway again and while it got a little better it didn't stop it. Tash got very timid.

When we found homes for them before we left, we decided not to home those two together...

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
13 years 5 months ago #246757 by Dream Weaver
Have a talk with someone at a health shop who does the Bach Flower remedies. There is alot of different bach remedies that can be made up for dealing with different situations.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246910 by Hintzashouse
thanks will pass your suggestions & experiences on to the lady. I had thought about perhaps the Petcalm capsules or the Bach flowers as well as the Feliway.
thanks HH

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds