linear boards

More
13 years 5 months ago #16397 by rob
linear boards was created by rob
has anyone had this installed on their house,we are trying to look into it and waiting to see that ad on tv.
any info would be great
thanks

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246083 by wino
Replied by wino on topic linear boards
We intend to replace some fibro cladding someone stuck on a part of our villa with linear in due course.

Don't know a lot about it apart from my brother using it on his office building about three years ago. That appears to be okay, it was roughly the same cost as roughcast at the time. Hard to tell since the stuff hasn't been round that long how it will last but looks good so far.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
13 years 5 months ago #246090 by rob
Replied by rob on topic linear boards
thanks Wino

Rob

More
13 years 5 months ago #246092 by celt
Replied by celt on topic linear boards
Hi Rob we are about to build a garage up here north of Auckland and we looked at linea because it is supposed to be less hassle to maintain long term. However three builders so far have said they do not like linea weather board for several reasons:-

although it doesn't cost more per metre it does takes a lot longer to put up so is more expensive labour wise in comparison to pine w/boards.

the system James Hardie has devised to put up linea means it is expensive to repair or change

It was designed to give the traditional crisp weatherboard look without the dreaded maintenance however it does have the disadvantages listed above.

we decided to go for good old pine in the end.

This is of course is just our experience and it really depends what you are after.

1 kiwi husband, 14 year old boy girl twins. Gave up my beautiful 16 acres north of auckland for 1000m2 in central christchurch! Yikes. Plan to get as much produce out of that 1000m2 as possible.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246096 by rob
thanks again

Rob

• Jack
13 years 5 months ago #246158 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic linear boards
Gidday

We are in the process of having it put onto our house. Not cheep or cheap either and a bit to pitting it on but it sure looks bloody good and looks like a good product too.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246248 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic linear boards
We looked at it for the rebuild. the cost seemed prohibitive, and at the end of the day, I (then from distance afar) preferred the ''normal'' kiwi weatherboard look with boxed and scribed corners....

Now I have seen that up close, we are changing to weatherboard with soakers on the corners instead.

Apparently not good for drunks......

But as we have a wide verandah planned, I think Moi and the collective have the wits about us to stagger clear...:rolleyes::cool:.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246350 by Westermans
Replied by Westermans on topic linear boards
Our A1 home is linear and it looks great and is finished on the ends with the soakers...our builder nipped in the ends so no one would scrape themselves on them, i have done the undercoat and they are ready now for their top coat...easy as to paint them too....we chose this product as we dont want to have high mantainance on the place as we want to spend the time on the land and not the house itself.
I have attached a pic so you can see the ends are so nice and tidy no mitreing (SP)of the ends gives it a lovely crisp look...dont have any of the house itself so you can see the whole effect they are on the other PC that died [:(!] but i can assure you the cost is worth it [;)]

Attached files
File Attachment:
File Attachment:

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

More
13 years 5 months ago #246383 by hogiehorse
Replied by hogiehorse on topic linear boards
Oh dear, Westermans, looks like your building crew are on strike. No wait, the union boss is coming over to have a word with them. All will be okay soon.

Now, on a serious note, Rob - I haven't used Linea (I opted for Hebel on the exterior of my house when building a couple of years ago) but my next door neighbours have used it on their entire house and it looks super.

Hogiehorse
Quit lifestyling in September 2005 after 20 years but still ardent fan of this forum

More
13 years 5 months ago #246623 by rob
thanks all

Rob

More
13 years 5 months ago #246630 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic linear boards
According to my memory of the ad, James Hardie has a website with pictures and info so if you haven't already found it, you may like to check it out.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247065 by rob
just got a quote for painting our house and its cedar, the price has come out not bad at all, so we are going with it and will see how it looks.
thank you to all who replied

Rob

More
13 years 5 months ago #247783 by devan
Replied by devan on topic linear boards
You're painting over cedar???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh rob thats a sin. Just spray it with 30 seconds or sim, give it a good waterblast and stain it with cedar stain, it will come up just like new

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 5 months ago #247790 by Prim
Replied by Prim on topic linear boards

devan;225654 wrote: You're painting over cedar???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh rob thats a sin. Just spray it with 30 seconds of sim, give it a good waterblast and stain it with cedar stain, it will come up just like new

Yes, you peasant, Rob! :D

You CAN'T paint over cedar ... :)

More
13 years 5 months ago #247834 by devan
Replied by devan on topic linear boards
LOL prim..... i wasn't quite brave enough to put it that way, he lives quite close to me! :D

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

Time to create page: 0.270 seconds