Digital Cameras

More
14 years 7 months ago #1639 by oskatd
Digital Cameras was created by oskatd
Anyone got any info on digital cameras? I could do with a new one, as the old one i have is only 3MP and 3x optical zoom - it is a nikon, all of my cameras have been. But I have started looking and the range and complexity of cameras available now is huge. Any pointers?
Ta:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #62600 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Digital Cameras
More optical zoom. I've got 8x I think, which is good enough for what I do - far better than the 1Mpixel camera I started with - although I still had some mighty fine pictures with that one!

The other things I was keen to look for were compatable battery systems with the charger and batteries I already had, and now if looking for a new camera, might hunt out something which would also take the same media as the cards I already own.

The cameras I've owned so far have had really bad automatic settings. I don't know if all digi-cameras allow lots of manual control on settings, but I'd be looking for as much as I could get. Mine lets me set focal length, exposure, ISO settings and so on.

More
14 years 7 months ago #62609 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Digital Cameras
Yeah, I want at least 5x optical zoom, 6MP and some sort of image stabilisation....

So, what breed is yours?

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #62611 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Digital Cameras
Whatever one you decide on, get one that you can turn the flipping auto focus off!!! Thats the most frustrating thing about digital cameras, their ability to think! I don't need thinking I need instant pictures, soooo frustrating.

Anyway in just over 2 weeks time I'm getting and a new digital SLR, so it wont' be a problem anymore!

More
14 years 7 months ago #62613 by organicltd
Replied by organicltd on topic Digital Cameras
Ive got a canon ixus900Ti, 10 mpixel . Takes very good shots has all sorts of settings, including manual and auto focus

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
14 years 7 months ago #62614 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Digital Cameras

quote:Originally posted by oskatd

Yeah, I want at least 5x optical zoom, 6MP and some sort of image stabilisation....

So, what breed is yours?

That was pretty much my Wish List too when I bought a new digital camera in July. You have to ask yourself one basic question first, which determines what class of camera to go for:

* Do you want a Compact camera which will fit in your pocket without you knowing it's there?
OR:
* Do you want a larger camera with a larger Optical Zoom?

Those two requirements are mutually exclusive in most cases.

Having been down the SLR route several times before, I found the longer-range zoom was great in a few cases, but frequently required the use of a tripod or other stable surface to get the best out of it. Shooting at maximum zoom whilst hand-held usually produced blurry pictures, particularly if not shooting in bright sunlight. Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) will help in that regard, but it only gives you a few extra stops of exposure -- it will not solve the problem completely.

The other thing I noticed when we owned an SLR-style camera, was that it was frequently left behind because it was too bulky and/or heavy.

On our two most recent camera purchases, we have gone for a Compact and I noticed immediately just how many more places we took it. This type of camera is so small, you just put it in your pocket, or clip it on your belt and forget it's there :)

Having said that, there are many Compact Cameras that are little more than toys and then there are some that cost $500 or so, where you get pretty good pictures and in some cases, a 4X optical zoom.

Which is getting pretty close to your ideal 5X, and you can also get Optical Image Stabilisation in this class of camera now.

The definitive resource for Digital Camera Reviews is this web site:

http://www.dpreview.com/

Based on the recommendations and reviews in there, we chose a Canon IXUS-950 IS, which is detailed here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_sd850is.asp

It has 8 Megapixels -- which is plenty for even pretty large prints -- and a 4X zoom as well as Optical Image Stabilisation rather than electronic as some competing brands do.

The pictures produced by this camera in low-light are quite remarkable for their lack of noise and sharpness, and the battery life is superb too [8D]

More
14 years 7 months ago #62616 by GrantK
Replied by GrantK on topic Digital Cameras

quote:Originally posted by organicltd

Ive got a canon ixus900Ti, 10 mpixel . Takes very good shots has all sorts of settings, including manual and auto focus

That model doesn't have any Image Stabilisation and it only has a 3X zoom. The market has changed dramatically since this camera was released in September 06 :(

The latest and greatest only stays that way for about 3 months now unfortunately :(

More
14 years 7 months ago #62617 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Digital Cameras
Thanks Grant, I'll have a nosey around that site. I have an SLR camera - not digital, that I love, but like you say it is a bit big to carry around on the off chance one of the animals does something worth taking a pic of... It was great in africa though, with a 28 - 300 zoom lens (weighing a ton itself). Olympus do a 5x zoom 7 MP camera but with no stabilisation bizzo, not too sure how important it all is, but it sounds like a good idea!

More
14 years 7 months ago #62620 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Digital Cameras
My current one, which I bought when there were newer models superceding it which didn't fit my specs as well, is an Olympus C-725. It's bulky, but I still wear it on my hip-belt in a bag along with a spare set of batteries, a pair of binoculars and the cellphone - I've got used to being six inches wider out the back and the weight doesn't bother me when on my hips.

More
14 years 7 months ago #62641 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Digital Cameras

quote:Originally posted by maggies mum
Anyway in just over 2 weeks time I'm getting and a new digital SLR, so it wont' be a problem anymore!

Whatcha gonna do with the old one? give it to MD to sneak around the girls changing room with it tied to a stick and a string bluetacked to the button?

Never trust teenagers with cameras ;)

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #62643 by maggies mum
He's at an all boys school K303! So I hope he won't be sneaking around in any changing rooms!

More
14 years 7 months ago #62644 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Digital Cameras
must be a relief for you eh MM?

some of the 1st XI got in trouble at the school I went to for just that prank [:P] nice pics of the netball team in the changing room :D

co-ed schools and hormones can be an explosive mix!

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

• maggies mum
14 years 7 months ago #62778 by maggies mum
Aye, there are enough hormones flying around in our house, what with a teenager, a menopausal mother and a grumpy old git! sigh!

Who needs the excitement of schools eh!

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds