Dog control decision...

More
13 years 5 months ago #16385 by reggit
I have long said that if a dog bites someone when provoked or when pain is caused to them - and I mean bites, not mauls - there needs to be some consideration of the circumstances when decisions are made about the animal's fate.

Seems that the HCC animal control officers think the same:

www.stuff.co.nz/waikatotimes/4812656a6004.html

We often have kids pestering our dog at our place when we have told them to say hello, play with her, but leave her alone if she doesn't want to play - but some still persist in chasing her around or trying to 'make' her play.

My worry has always been that she might nip them in warning and some parent would start yelling for her to be put down. Rather than this happening (and in some cases it would be a good lesson to the child as to appropriate behaviour around animals - how else will they learn??) we have to put her in a bedroom to keep them away from her (although we'd like to put the kids somewhere instead if we could [}:)]).

Now I know that this case is not a nip but a good bite from a large dog but...it sounds like the kid had already been told to leave the dog alone once before this happened...

What concerns me in this case, is what on earth possessed a little boy to grab a dogs testicles and squeeze, if what witnesses allege he did is correct? [:0]:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #245950 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dog control decision...
Yeah for the HCC animal control officers! Perhaps if the dog had bitten the little boy in the same spot we won't a potential future criminal running around. Where is the Mother's head?

"The child has been involved in two previous incidents of alleged animal cruelty" Dah!

More
13 years 5 months ago #245953 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Dog control decision...
here here, I was just saying the other night, I wondered how many animals had been put down because they'd been trying to defend themselves from a child poking it in the eye, pulling it's tail, ears or in this case, testicles.

One lab I heard about was put down after it attacked a child. It was later found that the dog had a pencil rammed in it's ear. Poor dog!

Yakut

More
13 years 5 months ago #245954 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Dog control decision...
Interesting, and a brave decision by animal control/council.

I've been pondering my GSD's behaviour around strangers recently and decided I need to take a similar approach to yours Tigger and be firmer with visitors to ensure he's left alone when he's feeling overcrowded. He's a lovely dog and he's never bitten anyone but he has snapped a couple of times and I don't feel I could guarantee that he wouldn't bite if pushed. It's very hard with small children, especially if they have a friendly dog at home and only want to be nice to him, to explain that their advances are actually making him nervous. Older children are much easier - the more boisterous and dog-confident the better LOL.

hilldweller

More
13 years 5 months ago #245955 by Finn McCool
Replied by Finn McCool on topic Dog control decision...
There are some nasty little sh*tes out there. My parents had some friends whose son would be mean to their dog (parents) every chance he got, one day Dad caught him squeezing lemon juice in his eye [:(!]

My neighbours son would be the same to our dogs when he thought noone was looking (also to my kids) so I was constantly keeping my eye on him, caught him once with a broomstick raised over the dogs head about to whack him with the dog just sitting there with his head bowwed down waiting for the whack [:(!]

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

More
13 years 5 months ago #245957 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Dog control decision...
Have to feel sorry for the kid though too, for whatever's going on in his head that makes cruelty to animals an attractive behaviour.

hilldweller

More
13 years 5 months ago #245958 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Dog control decision...

hilldweller;223631 wrote: I've been pondering my GSD's behaviour around strangers recently and decided I need to take a similar approach to yours Tigger and be firmer with visitors to ensure he's left alone when he's feeling overcrowded.

I try to get into the kids' heads that they need to let animals come to them. They seem to be divided into those who are terrified of animals, and those who are so confident it verges on the dangerous!

Our problem is older kids (7+) who don't know when to stop being boisterous.

In case anyone reading my original post think I am totally pro-dog in these circumstances, I did support animal control (same council) some years ago to seize and put down a dog that had attacked me with no provocation when I was entering a property in my work capacity. I still bear the scars on my - ahem - posterior as proof of the damage. My butt is a small child's head height...

Turned out it had been intimidating the whole cul de sac, including chasing the kids, but no-one wanted to complain...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 5 months ago #245964 by organicltd
Replied by organicltd on topic Dog control decision...
By the look of the mother and the kids shaved head, is it any wonder. We have a potential criminal in the making. The dog was only protecting it's self.
Good on the city council dog officers.

Wine does not make you FAT it makes you LEAN...
....against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.

More
13 years 5 months ago #245965 by NZ Appaloosas

DiDi;223627 wrote: Where is the Mother's head?

Did you see the hairdo the kid is sportin'? That's where the mother's head is at...up her bum!

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 5 months ago #245967 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Dog control decision...
Hate to sound judgmental but those were my thoughts too when I saw the photo.
Look forward 10 years with the child, heaven help us :rolleyes:

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 5 months ago #245968 by NZ Appaloosas
Hopefully we'll have that long to wait...thinking of what's his name that was recently released from Kingsley in Chch

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 5 months ago #245981 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Dog control decision...
Quite possibly the child's head has been shaved this way at the hospital before stiching him up - its a possibility.

This boy needs help - soon. There are lots of children around with pervert behaviour and most parents intervene and ask for help. At this young age intervention is very likely to be successful. However, his mother calling for the dog to be destroyed instead of her son to be assessed and helped is a serious worry.

More
13 years 5 months ago #245994 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Dog control decision...
That is my concern too Simkin, the mother didn't seem to understand that her son had done anything to contribute to the situation...

PS it didn't look/sound like any stitching of his head was done, it was an injury to the cheek from what I can tell...

More
13 years 5 months ago #245996 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Dog control decision...
[:I] ... ok I have to admit that I made comments about his haircut and the mother's decorative finger etc but being a public forum decided I had better not be so judgmental! To hell with it! This is when we need compulsory parenting classes and I nominate her for the first class.

More
13 years 5 months ago #246021 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Dog control decision...
No that hair cut would not have been necessary... just look at his cold blue eyes.. she probably was telling him not to smile, to make the injuries look worse.. and full cudos to the owner for going to the authorities.. It seems the child went over to the dogs area rather than the dog wandering in amongst the people.. gggrrrrr and in this case thank goodness the dept did look into it.. feel sorry for his class mates in two years time. and the teachers!!!

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds