Microsoft Prize Winner?

More
13 years 5 months ago #16335 by Toast
I've had three emails from Microsoft Admin 09 telling me I'm a winner in their competition & that they went through 5 million email IDs & I was a lucky winner, along with 49 others! Also tells me I've won UKStg450,000 & I can come "down" to the UK & personally collect it or I can have their cheque delivered by courier. Their claims department wants all my personal details before they can process my claim.

It's signed by Salvatore Murgiana, Promotions Co-ordinator.

Anybody else had these?

I've had quite a bit of this kind of stuff coming through since I changed to F Secure virus protection. Had PC Cillin last year & nothing like this ever came through.

They must think we're stupid!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #245366 by feedqueen
Replied by feedqueen on topic Microsoft Prize Winner?
yes, my boss had one of these, clicking on the link sent her computer into meltdown, nasty virus which pretty well destroyed everything- so glad it wasnt me!!!!

More
13 years 5 months ago #245369 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Microsoft Prize Winner?
forward the emails to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and tell them to make the cheques out to C.Ash and post them to your P.O.Box :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 5 months ago #245388 by Toast
Replied by Toast on topic Microsoft Prize Winner?
Thanks, everybody.

I've deleted them. I shall be phoning my computer supply shop & telling them & how things aren't that great with F Secure.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
13 years 5 months ago #245401 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Microsoft Prize Winner?
Wonder what the "F"stands for.. *useless maybe!!!!!!

More
13 years 5 months ago #245526 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Microsoft Prize Winner?
Install Avast! instead. It's free and it seems to work.

For email I recommend Thunderbird, and set your sending and receiving options to plain text (not HTML).

Oh, and a healthy dose of scepticism goes a long way. Having said that, I have a bridge that you may be interested in buying...

A

More
13 years 5 months ago #245600 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic Microsoft Prize Winner?
None of the above mentioned programs will protect you from Spam e-mails - in fact there is no 100% reliable means of filtering spam - if there was it would not exist. All that virus scanners like F Secure etc can do is protect you from known malicious attachments.

There has been a recent drop in spam levels but that wasnt due to clever software but clever people see
http://www.pcworld.com/article/154639/article.html?tk=nl_dnxnws

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
13 years 5 months ago #245603 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Microsoft Prize Winner?
Actually, Thunderbird has a spam detection feature built in, and it will learn how to categorise spam automatically over time.

Also, viewing your emails in plain-text mode removes many if the ways in which a spammer can trick you. No hidden URLs or web bugs for example.

A

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds