Fireworks - "get over it"

More
14 years 7 months ago #1631 by DiDi
The sooner the better! I have to go away tomorrow to attend a funeral and while quietly enjoying my evening - it started. Lots of asteriks as to my thoughts as I had to ring my neighbour and ask them to keep an eye on my horses while I am away. Hopefully the horses are old enough to remember having been throught this a number of times but for all the joys of new neighbours,([email protected])the one I am NOT wearing is the city folk moving out to the country and not thinking for a microsecond what their party and bomb type fireworks are doing to the animals on surrounding properties.

I was surrounded here in South Auckland last year and from my perch on a hill I could identify each and every property blowing up things and shooting things into the sky as "newbies" to the area. Hell I understand why they all want to escape city living but shouldn't that come with some kind of Licence? Moving to the country means being CONSIDERATE!!!! for the animals - if not the neighbours? Sigh!
Here we go again.

"Get over it" ... ban it in the rural areas - exclusion being sparklers for wee ones - but get over it! It is inappropriate where animals are living and being terrified by human ignorance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #62499 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Fireworks - "get over it"
They've started here too. I have been out with my goats trying to calm them down. Cricket is pretty nervous and starts darting around not knowing where to go. She's been in and out of the shelter, into the small shelter, cuddled up to me and generally quite frantic. Mr Tumnus was looking quite nervous and went and sat in the shelter with his head under the hay rack.
The Three Crusaders were in and out of their wee shelter not quite knowing what to do.

A local shop that closed down quite a few months ago has opened it's doors for selling fireworks and have signs up as far away as Mercer advertising the fact. I really wanted to cut them off the lamposts where they've been tied and just lay them down so they can't be seen.

Because this is a rural/residential area there are lots of houses without substantial amounts of land and the dwellers seem to have no idea about the livestock in neighbouring paddocks.

The SPCA spends money on advertising, suggesting people keep their pets indoors. It wouldn't be so bad if it was just one night but it continues for weeks afterwards. It's not Guy Fawkes tonight but you would have thought it is looking outside.
The excuse is usually that Guy Fawkes is on a school night or the kids have school the next day and with daylight saving it's quite late before it gets dark, so people pick whatever night suits them.
If they want to have a party and invite friends over, they don't want to do it in the middle of the week when people have to go to work the next day.

I would have thought the Catholics would have been up in arms about it as well because, historically, it wasn't Guy who was turned into an effigy but the Pope because Guy Fawkes was Catholic and the whole blowing up Parliament was focussed around the Cathloic religion.

This seems to have been forgotten over the centuries.
I wouldn't say I'm anti fireworks, it's just that there are too many people being stuipd and unthoughtfull.

I've seen some idiots using those walking sticks with the arm brace and bit sticking out to hang on to, the adjustable ones. They had taken the rubber skid thing off the end and were poking sky rockets up, someone would light the fuse and the idiot holding it would aim it at something or someone.

I guess it's just the idiots who wreck it for the rest of them.

The fireworks the goats seem most affected by tonight are coming from quite a distance away, over SH1. The house is on the side of a hill and the lights and bangs are lighting up the sky and echoing all around.

It's pretty bloody upsetting for them and for me. I don't want my animals being frightened. I feel totally helpless and have no idea what to do apart from spending the night out there with them until the parties are over but I can't say that me being there calms them down that much. They still panic every time they see the lights and hear the bangs.

Yakut

More
14 years 7 months ago #62501 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Fireworks - "get over it"
I used to enjoy fireworks, both as a child and then as an adult with a young child. As an adult, we lived in a rural community and the near locals and their families would congregate at our place with their children. Big BBQ, bonfire, the kids would have made a guy or several, followed by the fireworks and to round the night off, potatoes cooked in the bonfire embers and served with heaps of butter. It would be a great social occasion as well as a safe one.

I don't know where it all came unstuck and put it down to the general social and parental irresponsibility. Yesterday kids got off the school bus and walked home via the paper road that goes across the top of our property. On their way, they let off some loud fireworks right next to the paddock that my pregnant cows are in. I could see the cows carreering down the hill and roared words of four letters that described the pedigree of these kids. Sometimes living in a valley can be a good thing because every word echoed:D These kids are nowhere near the age of 18 so the new law isn't worth the paper it's written on.

However, I feel that if the noise factor was taken out of fireworks, the novelty would wear off very quickly and still allow those that enjoy the visual display to do so. It amazes me that nobody has clicked on to that. Fireworks with noise could still be supplied to those who put on the big public displays.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 7 months ago #62503 by wino
Replied by wino on topic Fireworks - "get over it"
I am sooo mad. I asked the neighbours who always have fireworks what night they would have them. I explained I needed to know as the stock needed to be as far away as possible. They said Sunday night. So tonight as soon as it gets dark they start to let them off. No notice at all.

Out there in the dark are five charging cows and two calves - I am worried a calf is going to get trampled in the dark and cannot do a thing about it now it is too dark and too dangerous - was going to move them tomorrow so they wouldn't be as close.

There are also two panicking horses but they have now had their herbal calmer and are settling, the rest are alright so far.

Considering loading the gun.

Never have a hangover - stay drunk

More
14 years 7 months ago #62504 by GloPony
Replied by GloPony on topic Fireworks - "get over it"
I have just walked in the door from checking my horses. They're smack bang in the middle of West Auckland suburbia & are completely surrounded by them but thankfully, none of them are at all bothered. They're so used to the Police helicopter, fire engines, Police cars, hoons, etc that are few fireworks seem tame. Even the big ones at the stadium. :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #62512 by Cate
Replied by Cate on topic Fireworks - "get over it"
I hate them, I have just released the horses from their stables. My mini broody is due any time and I was worried that the stress may affect her as she hates being in the stables but at least she is safe, kind of a risk juggling exercise.The sooner they ban them and only allow organised displays the better.

Cate

More
14 years 7 months ago #62515 by ravenseyes
Funnily enough fire works is something the spooky arab doesn't mind. We have a direct view to Uni of Waikato who often have fire displays with the big commercial boomers etc and he stands and watches them. But God help a rustling bush or puke.:D

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
14 years 7 months ago #62522 by Inger
Replied by Inger on topic Fireworks - "get over it"
The big public displays are much better anyway. They may as well ban fireworks sales to the public.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa
Herd of Registered Dexter cattle
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry and Sicilian Buttercup poultry
Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
Polled Wiltshire Sheep, both black and white
An old Heading Dog called Lad and a cat called Pusscat,

More
14 years 7 months ago #62524 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Fireworks - "get over it"
I like fireworks and support the sale to the public and oppose any ban...

we've set off fireworks ourselves since before i can remember and had no problems over the years with animals... in fact some nosy beggerscome over to see whats happening and do the bangs mean food being served?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 7 months ago #62525 by llamafarma
Why is it the whole world needs to stop for lifestylers?? All people on here seem to do is moan. Fireworks Neighbours. Dogs. Kids. Motorbikes, crop sprayers, Internet connections (okay, thats valid.....). There is a world outside your boundaries, you need to deal with it.

2 Goats, 7 Chooks, 1 Cat 1 Dog, (RIP Jake) & 2 Kunekune's.......& a fabulous new rescue GSD,for now.......

More
14 years 7 months ago #62527 by The Kats Place
I used to have a panic each year when I was in town about my cats, but not problems since I have been out here. I don't have close enough neighbours.
Fireworks and bonfires give me the willies anyhow. I always panic about the rick to the children, like sparks landing in the hair or on their clothes, or tripping when playing found the fire.

kats
Live your life in such a way that it will be easy for people to say nice things at your funeral [;)]

More
14 years 7 months ago #62530 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Fireworks - "get over it"

quote:Originally posted by llamafarma

Why is it the whole world needs to stop for lifestylers?? All people on here seem to do is moan. Fireworks Neighbours. Dogs. Kids. Motorbikes, crop sprayers, Internet connections (okay, thats valid.....). There is a world outside your boundaries, you need to deal with it.

Complaints about fireworks, neighbours, and dogs, on here tend to be because of people moving to LSBs from town and not being prepared to adapt their habits to new circumstances.

Fireworks scare animals, especially the big, expensive ones in the country. The least that should happen if you insist on having them in the country near stock is to warn your neighbours. I doubt it's just us 'complainers' on here that feel this way, imagine plenty of non-LSB farmers would too...

Why should your 'fun' Guy Fawkes night come at the expense of owners next door being terrified of what they are going to find the next morning re injured/panicked/missing stock? :(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #62534 by llamafarma
Hey i agree they are real problems BUT you HAVE to realise, people in town have bad/noisy/pain in the ass neighbours too, and dealing with every day problems is JUST REAL LIFE.

2 Goats, 7 Chooks, 1 Cat 1 Dog, (RIP Jake) & 2 Kunekune's.......& a fabulous new rescue GSD,for now.......

More
14 years 7 months ago #62535 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Fireworks - "get over it"
Hey, we are a caring, sharing forum LF [:I], sometimes the need to vent on here is be because there is little that can be done to get rid of the problems and people are frustrated! :D

I would have dearly have loved to have somewhere to bounce ideas off as to how to deal with some of the neighbours we have had in town too! [}:)]

PS as far as I am concerned I'd like to see fireworks banned for sale to the public full stop. I love fireworks personally, but they just cause too much heartache each year. And as far as a problem that transcends town and country, I get sick of what is 6 months of fireworks at nighttime after the selling period each year too...if it were one or two nights it wouldn't be so bad.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 7 months ago #62538 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Fireworks - "get over it"
I don't know why fireworks should be banned rurally,,,
fireworks should be banned for private people unless it is small handheld safe thing for kids.

It doesn't matter if you live in town or rurally it is a pain when you have neighbours shooting fireworks that end up in your garden and on your car and on your roof and set fire to your things and scare the sh-t out of kids and cats and elderly people.
Not to talk about people with asthma!
Used to live in a town where people did brag about how much they spent on fireworks, kind of competition of how much you spent, my drunken high income neighbour did spend what I did earn in one month on new years eve!
It was BIG rockets and a BIG clean up following morning.

I personally love fireworks but then in some kind of organised way so you can enjoy it.
(if I didn't manage to lock up the cat on new years ewe he was gone for a week!)

Time to create page: 0.304 seconds