Farmside

More
13 years 6 months ago #16215 by dinnaefash
Farmside was created by dinnaefash
Anyone else using Farmside broadband? We switched recently. I'm enjoying the broadband, but we have this week also switched our phone to VoiceLink - OMG!! [:0][:0][:0] When you dial a number there is about a 10 second delay before it starts ringing, and when you are speaking to someone there is a delay as if you are on the frickin moon. [}:)]

Teething problems? We'll get used to it? Or shape of things to come? At this point it looks like we'll be ditching it, savings or no savings...

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #244115 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Farmside
Hi dinneafash

Sheila and Alan also have VoiceLink and aren't having problems..

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
13 years 6 months ago #244117 by dinnaefash
Replied by dinnaefash on topic Farmside
Well, hullo!!! Glad you made it there safely! (Spoke to Janeine who's moved to Gray Rd yesterday :) ) Will call Sheila and see what the scoop is, ta! [;)]

Ne vous fachez pas [;)]

More
13 years 6 months ago #244118 by Istrian
Replied by Istrian on topic Farmside
I've been using farmside broadband for just over 1 yr. Would I have signed up if there had been any other choice - NO! It is better than dial up and it does not tie up the phone line. I think the technology is there for a superb service but what farmside provide is a very much throttled service at an exorbitant price. They need some genuine competition but as they are the master distributors for the IPSTAR they control the competition. Having tried Skype and found it to be totally unsatisfactory (with farmside) I certainly would not be signing up to their VoiceLink. Can't wait for the promised fibre optics service to come to fruition.

More
13 years 6 months ago #244123 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Farmside
farmside is the only internet we can get and so expensive!!!
(we live just 30 min from hamilton and so lousy telecom landlines so we can't surf)

More
13 years 6 months ago #244126 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Farmside
My nephew was farmside, and had so many problems they went back to xtra, his brother is using the vodafone system, so no landline stuff.. they are north waikato/franklin area

More
13 years 6 months ago #244149 by Midge
Replied by Midge on topic Farmside
My daughter is up in the hills and with Farmside. She had a bugga of a job getting BB sorted but the phone problem is ongoing. The delay thing is terrible and there's no solution to it apparently:( Due to their location they don't have the choice of going with another company.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Cheers[:)]
www.jerseycows.co.nz

More
13 years 6 months ago #244160 by witheze
Replied by witheze on topic Farmside
Oh.... I was going to move to farmside when I got around to it........but want to check out the neighbour's speed first. My dialup speed is dreadful at the moment. In the wet weather my speed is 18kbps! I think a renewal of free Avast is slowing me down as the speed dropped at the same time I installed it. But you guys are giving me second thoughts. What is the installation cost???? Around $200 ?

More
13 years 6 months ago #244164 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Farmside
If you wait until fieldays, I think they do free connect then like some of the others.. thats if you can wait that long witheze

More
13 years 6 months ago #244165 by Istrian
Replied by Istrian on topic Farmside
witheze - no need to ckeck the neighbour's speed. With farmside you get what you pay for and no more. The plan I'm on is 256Kb down 128Kb up. What is hard to comprehend is the difference between Kb and KB. Yes they like confusing us KB is kilobytes, Kb is kilobits. So 256 Kb is equivalent to 32KB - there are 8 bits in a Byte. So the farmside 256Kb/128Kb plan is at the very low end of the broadband speed range. Actualy it can hardly be called broadband. The IPSTAR satellite can deliver 4Mb that's 16 times faster than 256 Kb download but farmside obviously have us subscribers by the short & curleys and want to maximise their profits. In the end they will probably end up with nothing as most of us will switch as soon as we have alternatives. Merry Xmas to all

More
13 years 6 months ago #244167 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Farmside

Istrian;221579 wrote: I've been using farmside broadband for just over 1 yr. Would I have signed up if there had been any other choice - NO! It is better than dial up and it does not tie up the phone line. I think the technology is there for a superb service but what farmside provide is a very much throttled service at an exorbitant price. They need some genuine competition but as they are the master distributors for the IPSTAR they control the competition. Having tried Skype and found it to be totally unsatisfactory (with farmside) I certainly would not be signing up to their VoiceLink. Can't wait for the promised fibre optics service to come to fruition.

We went the Farmside way and regretted it. Expensive, slow, attrocious service from their agent (E3) here in the Naki, and 'rain fade' during bad weather made things even worse. I have used IPSTAR based systems while on oil rigs off of Taranaki with good results so the technology is sound.

Best advise is to do a bit of searching round for an independent ISP in your area. There are plenty of them popping up as the demand is surely there. We are now with primowireless.co.nz/ with bandwidth that puts the big boys to shame (>5Mb down/>1Mb up)! Brilliant Skype results.

And landline is now via Vodafone's Homebox system with mixed opinions, but that's a different story......

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
13 years 6 months ago #244426 by TKFARMER
Replied by TKFARMER on topic Farmside
Hi all, i us a vodafone land line $40.00 month free local & national calls. For the net i use satillite pretty good to. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds