Am I expecting too much?

More
13 years 6 months ago #16196 by Hestia
New roof is on. So good looking! [8D]
Really makes my x-mas! :)

But, there is always a but....
Went up to put up mesh to stop birds from going down the chimney.
Found that all nails taken out of old roof is in the spouting. Half a bucket of nails totally clogging up the spouting.

Lead-head nails that can totally clogg up if they follow the water down the pipes and also give lead in the drinking water.
They knew it was a very sick man living in the house and the likeliness of him climbing roof and cleaning the spouting is less than zero.
When doing the lawns I walk around and pick up dog bones..found lead-head nails everywhere. Dangerous if lawn mower spits them out like projectiles.
So far half a bucket of lead-head nails and off cuts from the roof, sharp as knifes, if dogs or barefeet kids steps on this......

Am I expecting too much when I thought they should clean this off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
13 years 6 months ago #243935 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Am I expecting too much?
You probably are Hestia, I have never known a builder to clean up after themselves yet.[^] Our lot were mean't to, but we come up everyday and did it. More fool us I suppose but someone had to clean up the crap. Leaving the nails in your spouting was just laziness on their part. :(

More
13 years 6 months ago #243942 by Pumpkingirl
Or perhaps one of the builders put them there so they didn't disappear into your garden, and then forgot to clean them up when he left. Things like that do happen.

My roof was put on (for free) by loving family members, but even they forgot to bring down a box of tech screws (that they left sitting in the gutter so they wouldn't fall off). When my Dad looked around, the tech screws were hidden by the edge of the gutter, so he thought he had picked everything up.

More
13 years 6 months ago #243944 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Am I expecting too much?
dunno if they meant to leave them in the spouting to have it easy to pick them up,would make sense,but then again 50% is in the spouting and 50% is spread evenly around the house up to 5 meters from the house.

More
13 years 6 months ago #243947 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Am I expecting too much?
Were the nails in the gutter in a pile or spread along it's length? Could be as PG said and somebody has forgotten to clean them up. No excuse for nails strewn around the garden though, very dangerous.

Not all tradesmen are mucky. Many years ago I had spouting replaced on a recently purchased house. The job was done while I was at work and I expected to come home to a mess. If it wasn't for the fact that there was bright, new spouting on the house, I would never have known they had been there. Every last bit of mess had been picked up and taken away and somebody had even gone to the effort to find a bit of stick and stake up a plant that had been squashed.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
13 years 6 months ago #243948 by devan
Replied by devan on topic Am I expecting too much?
Hestia i had the same when i got my new roof put on. Heaps of nails in the spouting and all over the lawn and the driveway! I mentioned it to the guy and he said "oh the boys are meant to pick them all up". I picked up about 1/2 a 10 litre bucket and am still finding the odd one every now and then (6 months later) [:(!] I too am on tank water

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
13 years 6 months ago #243972 by skyline_glenn
I make a concerted effort to pick all nails up but the odd one always gets missed, especially in gardens as you dont want to start digging around in the plants. I try not to drop any on the ground but the odd one does get away on you.

Ring them up and get them to clean up their mess, especially the bits of iron in the grass, thats dangerous

Glenn

More
13 years 6 months ago #243973 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Am I expecting too much?
Yes, do as glenn suggests [;)]

Our tradesmen are amazingly tidy, but the bricky left his boys doing the job when he went away for a week, did a great job but didn't clean up after themselves. ONe call to bricky when he got home and the mess was all sorted :D

Glad the roof looks good

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 6 months ago #243990 by Hestia
Replied by Hestia on topic Am I expecting too much?
I have already gathered most of the nails and off cuts,, will let them know that I was not happy with it,,but will tell them that I happy with the rest of the work :)

New roof made so much to the house!
House is now tying in totally with garage, shed and carport, all white and permanent green.

Some one that wants to buy a 2 acre lifestyleblock with everything set up? :)
Horse, cats, chooks, bunny, turtle, dove and sheep can be included if so wanted.
and a veggie patch with heaps in it.

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds