Help!...need four new tyres and haven't a clue...

More
13 years 6 months ago #16140 by DiDi
Anyone on here done the exercise? I have a 2L Sedan and need four new 15" tyres. So far have been gettiing prices and advise and it has been...debatable.

How hard is it to go into a tyre shop and say "I am rural so mostly travelling at 100k. I want good wet and dry coverage and (given the garbage chip seal all our roads are being repaired with), I want as quiet a tyre as I can get. Needless to say for a reasonable price (without specifing what "reasonable" is).

I have had a very good quote for Hankook tyres only to discover they are (in others opinion) very noisy. Still others say you want NZ made tyres as they are built for NZ roads (?) but what are NZ roads given smooth tarseal, chipseal and gravel. I do very little gravel driving so not a priority.

Can anyone help with good advise?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #243435 by sundaysbest
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Hankook are shyte in my opinion... I will ask Mr Man.
I drive Toyo tyres in my Subaru but they are not long wearing, the compound is too soft.
I will be up for 4 new tyres soon and who knows what I'll end up with... the Toyo's were great at the race track and great driving on seal, but are getting carved up with distance and gravel on our road - not to mention our pothole driveway!
Will come back to you
Sundays

More
13 years 6 months ago #243436 by Kiwi303
Firestone Firehawk would get my nod for good general use rural tyres, otherwise Wynstar Phazer which are a korean made tyre that is good in the wet and fairly quiet.

My Van is shod with Goodyear at the moment, 3 Eagle NCT5 and a Assurance replacing a brust one since the shop had no NCT5's in stock. good grip, slightly better road holding and slightly less noisy than the Phazers it was shod with before that, but equivalent to the firehawks that were on mums Diamante 3.0SE.

edit: NEVER get Kelly 80 cheapies unless you have a deathwish, they're cheap and NASTY. in the wet they're like driving on an oil slick over a polished glass surface! exaggeration, but pretty close.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 6 months ago #243448 by AdoubleJ
We have Bridgestone tyres on our van (15") Have had no trouble with them, good wet and dry (this is all from OH! :D ) Not too noisy and are on special at $105 Beaurepairs at the moment. Virtually all our trips are longish, Auckland and back, Rotorua and back etc...........

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
13 years 6 months ago #243452 by Dream Weaver
Can't remember whats on the ute. Firestone I think. We have and always get Goodyear F1 on the Holden, they are good tyres and have never had any probs with them.

More
13 years 6 months ago #243470 by feedqueen
I need 4 new tyres on my hilux.
They been on since it was new and just about to hit 100,000 kms so cant complain
:) Bridgestone all the way whatever the vehicle for me.

More
13 years 6 months ago #243615 by kindajojo
get the best you can afford, I always laugh when they say tyres are noisy...when driving mostly on rural roads, if the kids arent fighting, the radio blasting or the engine making a banging sound ......tyre noise would be a welcome distaction..

More
13 years 6 months ago #243674 by sod
Kindajojo remember those days well just turn radio up to drown out kids or in our case dogs and engine,thats why you have one:) don't know what tyre noise is!! Now exhaust rumble is louderHE HE

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 6 months ago #243785 by TKFARMER
DiDi go and see JOHN at tuakau tyre shop he will give you a good deal. tkf

Playing farmer on 3.5 acres. [:)][:)]

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds