How to delete unsent huge email that is clogging the system?

More
13 years 6 months ago #16054 by Hintzashouse
OH has 34 photos in one email being sending to himself from my computer. [:(!] only its not seeming to go through. Usking outlook express. How can I delete the email from the outbox- tried to drag & drop it into the deleted file but that didn't work.
Tired to go in with internet off and select it and delete it but that didn't work either. [xx(][xx(]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #242495 by DiDi
Got this off the Net if it is any help:

I can open [url="http://javascript:void(0)"]outlook[/url] express but there is an email in the outbox with a large attachment which i cant delete - the eggtimer just appears trying to send the email and i cant send or receive any other emails. I would appreciate any help and apologise if i havent given enough information for anyone to help.

Open Outlook and don't enter your user name and password to sign on to the pop server. Click the cancel button at the logon screen and then go to the sent folder and delete the outgoing message.

OR

If that is the only email in the Outbox (queued to send), an easy option would be to close OE, locate "Outbox.mbx" on your [url="http://javascript:void(0)"]computer[/url] and delete it. OE will recreate that folder (empty) the next time you open OE.

More
13 years 6 months ago #242496 by Seaside
I use Outlook rather than Outlook Express, but perhaps highlight the message, right click on your mouse, there will probably be a delete option?

Oops. Didi beat me to it with some much more useful advise.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 6 months ago #242506 by hilldweller
Or if you go into your account on you isp's website you may be able to delete it from there without opening it. Works with incoming traffic.

hilldweller

More
13 years 6 months ago #242509 by NZ Appaloosas
If it's clogging up the system, it should be in the outbox, not the sent box. All I've ever had to do (using OE) is highlight the email and then delete it. You do want to cancel any send/receive action beforehand.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
13 years 6 months ago #242516 by Hintzashouse
Ive deleted the Outbox.mbx and message is still there again on restart [}:)], it won't highlight with right click,connected to the internet or not, I just get the hourglass that goes nowhere and it won't select, so it can't delete that way. Went into xtra and it doesn't show cos its not been sent yet. Aargh!

More
13 years 6 months ago #242565 by Seaside
Will it highlight with the left click (then right click to bring up your options)?

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
13 years 6 months ago #242567 by ame
Dear me, your Google-fu is lacking.

Try this.

www.howto-outlook.com/faq/messagestuckinoutbox.htm

I was going to suggest that you disconnect yourself from your network, then Outlook cannot start sending the message, but going to 'Offline' mode should achieve the same thing.

A

More
13 years 6 months ago #242583 by Hintzashouse
Ok team I must admit I didn't think of Google fu-ing for that type of question.. duh! But, its Outlook express 6 not Outlook Ame so hunted under that heading. Mostly it said delete the outbox.dbx file, did that, and its still there when I restart the thing. A lot of replies relate to messages stuck after they are sent, this one is stuck before/while sending. Tried just letting it go and keep sending and an hour later it is still getting nowhere and coming up with error messages.
Can't get anywhere when you try and right or left click on the message or even try to open it up, just then hourglass that goes on and doesn' t progress.

More
13 years 6 months ago #242590 by grannie Mary
have you tried system restore it may or may not work

Mary

"Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its trouble,
It empties today of its strength."

More
13 years 6 months ago #242597 by Hintzashouse
:) :) Yippee :):)
OH has managed to figure out a different way to go in and delete the whole outbox to the way I went, and his seems to have worked. Thanks team!

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds