Cracks in concrete floor

More
13 years 6 months ago #16011 by ame
Cracks in concrete floor was created by ame
Hi all,

We've been looking at a 'lifestyle' property in the Nelson/Tasman region. On the property is a new house, only a few years old. The house is built on a concrete slab, and the slab has been polished so that floorcoverings are not necessary (and it looks great, actually).

Whilst we were looking we noticed a few cracks in the slab, across the floor in one of the corridors. The cracks do not seem to be "open", and the floor either side does not seem to be uneven. Are cracks in the slab normal? Are they significant? Do they indicate bigger problems for the future, or is it just the house settling?

I am sure there are other things we should be looking for, but this is bothering me a bit.

Thanks in advance for comments and advice.

A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #242106 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Cracks in concrete floor
OKay, as a builders wife...it seems that cracks on the slab are quite common.

Hubby specifically gets his slabs cut across stress points to try to prevent 'uncontrolled' cracking, and tries to use water on the slabs for a few days afterwards to help avoid further cracking. Unfortunately in this age of cost cutting, but many builders/building companies don't do this now, so cracks can turn up anywhere and everywhere...

If in doubt, get a reputable builder in to have a look at it.

If it were me, I'd be checking the windows/doors near the cracks if you are worried, make sure they open and shut without any sticking/sagging...and check the walls (if they are brick or plaster) for any cracks up or along them that might be caused by a slab moving...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 6 months ago #242114 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Cracks in concrete floor
I know when my barn slab was poured a few years ago, they made cuts across the stress points but some years down the line I note there is one crack that developed. As you described - not open but a crack nevertheless. Go with tiggers advise as it sounds very sensible to me.

I would have thought with polished concrete floors, cracks would not be desirable. Any underfloor heating? Wouldn't concrete be really really cold in Winter in the "deep South"?

More
13 years 6 months ago #242125 by hilldweller
My floor has a few hairline cracks like that. They happened as the concrete was drying (despite the builders best efforts to prevent them) and they're not of any significance structurally.

And Didi, concrete floors can be very warm if they're properly insulated underneath because they hold the heat. It's not the same as say a garage floor which would be cold earth next to concrete and would remain cold.

hilldweller

More
13 years 6 months ago #242133 by reggit
Our slab has polystrene under it which is supposed to increase its heat retention.

We lived on a bare concrete floor in ChCh for many years, it never seemed cold...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 6 months ago #242139 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Cracks in concrete floor
:D I stand corrected. I was thinking of a person I know who has just had her original concrete slab floor polished, in a 1970's house and like mine, it will be sitting on the dirt. Not a good idea? It looks awesome.

More
13 years 6 months ago #242177 by Bunter
Replied by Bunter on topic Cracks in concrete floor
We had a few cracks in our concrete pad, despite cuts across the stress points. Watering here wasnt an option, as there wasnt any at the time but it was done late autumn so not so hot. If the place you are looking at is a lifestyle block that could have been the same for them.
We spent our first winter on concrete and it wasnt at all cold, once it warms up it really holds the heat.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
13 years 6 months ago #242179 by Westermans
Replied by Westermans on topic Cracks in concrete floor
we have plenty of cracks in our slab and have lived through the winter on it too :0 not too cold as we have the expol under it too like Tigger and its great at keeping the heat in the floor.
We couldnt get water on it to stop the cracking but everything is fine, no sticking doors or window, just part of the build process i think, it takes a year for the slab to settle...i think...or is that something else...or is that what hubby told me to stop me whining about no carpets ;)

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

More
13 years 6 months ago #242183 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Cracks in concrete floor

Westermans;219425 wrote: we have plenty of cracks in our slab and have lived through the winter on it too :0 not too cold as we have the expol under it too like Tigger and its great at keeping the heat in the floor.
We couldnt get water on it to stop the cracking but everything is fine, no sticking doors or window, just part of the build process i think, it takes a year for the slab to settle...i think...or is that something else...or is that what hubby told me to stop me whining about no carpets ;)

ditto to Westermans for us

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 6 months ago #242217 by reggit
Yep, we are concrete floors for some indefinite time too :D will have run out of money by the time we are looking at carpet for all but the bedroom...

More
13 years 6 months ago #242228 by cowmad
Replied by cowmad on topic Cracks in concrete floor
Nelson is pretty tropical compared to the real deep south

More
13 years 6 months ago #242241 by ame
Replied by ame on topic Cracks in concrete floor
Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments. It would seem there is nothing to worry about apart from the looks (and the cracks don't look bad because they have not shifted). There were lines drawn in the concrete, looks like a blunt stick was drawn across the surface, but the cracks decided to appear elsewhere...

There is carpet in the bedrooms, but nowhere else. The polished concrete looks nice, and there is obviously a cost saving with having no carpet. Not only that, it's easy to clean.

Thanks all.

A

More
13 years 6 months ago #242324 by Westermans
Replied by Westermans on topic Cracks in concrete floor
easy to get the spills cleared up in my experience..i dont care who spills what :) also EXCELLENT for parties :)

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

More
13 years 6 months ago #243686 by bevhawkins
Replied by bevhawkins on topic Cracks in concrete floor
Both my lads are concrete cutters and drillers and what they say should be done are 'expansion cuts' on the stress points, they do new builds all the time even if they are polished after.

• Toni - Northland
13 years 6 months ago #243701 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Cracks in concrete floor
We had the polystyrene thingies, steel and then concrete. They made the cuts across it and not one crack appeared. People we know that built a house just before us with the same company had heaps of cracks, I didn't like it at all. I carpeted as I drop too much stuff for polished concrete. Make sure it is finished properly though as daughter cleans a house with it and she can't wash the floors as the concrete soaks it up.

When they come to pour the concrete the truck sat there for ages and nobody got out. We finally come up to have a look and my bloody Highland steer had got in through the electric fence which had broke and was standing right outside the truckies door. He said he was too scared to get out and I fell about laughing. I told him all Clyde wanted was for him to share his lunch. I couldn't see Clyde by that stage and I said, what cow, that one down there he said. Clyde had buggered off down the paddock.

Time to create page: 0.251 seconds