Commercial chook shed temperatures smell

More
13 years 7 months ago #15943 by max2
treading very carefully here....

In our road there is a commercial chook business, although no business name is on the gate and I have yet to see trucks come and go regularly. this business was for sale a few years back, unsure if it sold or not.... but was advertised as a commercial enterprise.

there are commercial sized whirlybirds on the roof, and today at 2.50pm when I whizzed past, the side walls were open (not free range style as the walls were vented in design) with what appeared to be rotating fans helping to fan the insides and thus produce circulation for the whirlybirds to draw the hot air out... also there was no smell at all.

However having been past at 3.30pm of another afternoon and seeing the sheds and property locked up, the smell was appalling. Gawd knows what it was like inside....

so knowing the sensitively of the discussion, what is acceptable and healthy practice? is there a standard for such things?

My own standards would indicate a health issue in the 2nd case, however today I would think is acceptable practice....

May the clear thinking discussion begin.... :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #241244 by DiDi
Swaggie - once again, this is something I would take to the Local Council for advise. FDC have been battling one breeder/raiser/whatever for years www.ew.govt.nz/News-and-events/Media-rel...ly-stench-and-flies/ and this was next door to a school!

Based on this case, I think you will be struggling to get anyone to take an interest but perhaps I am being too cynical.

I note that Enviroment Waikato prosectuted the case and it would seem that the pollution into the steam was probably the teeth they needed to get it into court. Not sure what would happen if there wasn't a stream involved! Dead overheated chooks - oops. Smack hand and "we will be monitoring you" :rolleyes:

• chooky
13 years 7 months ago #241250 by chooky
Replied by chooky on topic Commercial chook shed temperatures smell
It probably depends on which stage of manufacture (!) the chooks are at as they only clean the sheds out at the end of the run . Is it a broiler chook house or for egg production ?? We have a chook farm near us but it is now corn fed free range as compared to the regular style production it was years back - it sure stank then but no worries now . Your regional council would give you some advice re. regulations and so on .

More
13 years 7 months ago #241257 by cowvet
could be that they were between batches of broilers and were cleaning out the sheds - stirring up the litter may create a pong for a bit.

As you said "Gawd knows what it was like inside...." so would this only really be a problem if there were birds in there?

I love animals...they're delicious

More
13 years 7 months ago #241273 by Sue
It depends what type of farm ie broilers or layers and whether floor, cage or slats.

The temperature question first. Ideally laying birds need to be kept around 20C, broiler chicks will start off around 30C and drop to around 20c by about 4 to 5 weeks old.

For ventilation they either have fans in the roof, that suck air in through vents along the side walls and discharge it upwards, or they have big 4 ft fans in the walls and drag the air in one side and out the other through the fans. Maybe the fans in the roof have been closed off if there were wall ones as well, or the use the roof ones when the birds are young and swap to the side ones as they get older. Is there a lot of dust on the roof, or out the side on the ground where the wall fans are?

It may have just been emptied or in the process of cleaning when it was smelly was there litter around outside, or maybe it had just been washed out?

If there is an accidental flood the house can get very smelly, it is wet litter that smells the worst and is hard to get rid off until the birds go.

All commercial poultry farms will have an RMP and will have consents for discharge of dust, water and in some cases noise and smell. The local council will be aware of the various discharges and when they happen.
Lets face it, animals of all sorts can make a stink, even cows hanging round in one area for any length of time.

If it was a broiler farm then there are growing standards put out by the owners of the birds-like Tegel or Inghams. They state what temperature the house has to be, how dry the litter has to be, and give a programme for how long the fans run to ventilate the shed to give sufficient air.
Nowadays fans run on timers and thermostats, so will automatically keep the shed at the right temperature. If you see side fans with the louvres open they are pulling air out of the shed. Even when the chicks are tiny the big fans still operate, even if it means pulling hot air out of the shed, as the need for oxygen is as great as the need for warmth.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 6 months ago #241412 by max2
Sorry folks I don't know what the shed contains apart from chooks, and I don't like to discuss this sort of thing with neighbours (who now doubt know anyhow) as i would rather make enquiries on my own back and not speculate and cause mass trouble.

More
13 years 6 months ago #241417 by Sue
So swaggie what actually was the question;-) ?

Because a poultry farm smells sometimes and not others-did you want to know why, or do you suspect that all is not right?
Just trying to be informative here as the opening statement seemed to infer a question re what is normal/standard.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
13 years 6 months ago #241419 by max2
bugger lost my reply...

Well to me to have the sheds shut up so during ""high temps"" and the smell being so obvious from the road, indicates that all might not be well within the sheds... and not correctly ventiliated.

yet to pass the property when sheds are well ventiliated at similar temps would suggest that the right thing is being done.

So, do I take watch on seeing if the sheds are being locked down because of a time out of someone's shift, or do I assume this is correct industry and health standards?

More
13 years 6 months ago #241420 by max2
Owning a shed further down the road full of our belongings, with more shelter, I cannot handle it for long inside if we go to try and locate something of ours upon opening said shed...

so feel considerably for any living being inside aforementioned sheds under the same living conditions....[xx(]

More
13 years 6 months ago #241422 by Sue
Well it really depend on what type of ventilation the shed is fitted with, and what is inside!

If it was a broiler shed with both roof and wall extraction fans then they run in sequence. If only the roof fans are on, you wouldn't probably know unless you stopped and listened. The inlets are usually slits along the wall where air is sucked in through a baffled flap, and extracted out at the ridge.

Sheds fitted with 1.2m side wall fans have louvres that open up when the fans come on and these drop shut when they switch off. These big fans usually run on a set temperature programme, rather than running full bore all the time.

It is not usual to have both roof and wall fans, a sneaky photo would help!

The usual ventilation programme for large commercial sheds, especially broiler growing sheds is that fans will work in sequence-the desired shed temperature which would be ideal is set-say 21C. If the temperature inside gets to 22c one fan will come on, if it climbs higher then more and more will come on until if say the shed temperature was at 6C above the ideal, everything would run, then shut down as the temperature lowered back down to that which is required. Then they would just pulse on and off to keep the temperature at the set point.

Remember there is also a wind chill factor so if the air is moving fast enough, even though it is warm, the perceived temperature feels cooler. I can't remember the actual figure but it is something like if the air is moving at 2m per second the perceived temperature is 1c less than that on the thermometer.

Should the shed temperature be lower than the set temperature eg a cold day when it is 12c outside and you want the shed to be 21c then it is not just a case of 'shutting up the shed' to warm it up-the fans will still run at intervals. There is another equation that says-for so many birds weighing x kgs you need to shift y cu metres of air, regardless of temperature.

These are all modern poultry management tools-there are however many 'old fashioned' poultry keepers around who do not adhere to best practice for reasons known only to themselves-and create some big stinks that would not happen on a well managed farm!

Sue

More
13 years 6 months ago #241473 by Pumpkingirl
Also, all the poultry sheds I've ever been in have been insulated (walls and roof), so it's not the same as walking into a tin shed.

Our family farm sheds had computer-controlled temperature sensors which alerted my Dad to any fluctuation, whether the water was or wasn't running, even humidity, and this is 20 years ago, when all this technology was new.

These days, poultry farming friends have computers to do almost everything and while I won't get into the battery/shed debate, I know those birds live in perfect temperatures all year round.

PS I spent 20 years sleeping 15m from 25,000 hens and their pooh, and it was only on clean-out-the-shed day that the smell was bad.

More
13 years 6 months ago #241652 by Crusha
G'day

I used to work in a Battery Egg operation and one of my jobs was to maintain the sheds etc. That was a posh way of saying that, amongst other things, I had to empty the chook poo out of the shed at the end of a laying run. After moving, by shovel and wheelbarrow, serveral thousand kilos of chook poo I can quite comfortably say that if the poo is dry, no matter how hot it got, it certainly did not smell, however if it ever got wet (if a chook had broken a drinker off or a small leak in the water pipes) then it was worse than the worst day in Rotorua. Mind you this was over twenty five years ago, there were no computer monitored vents or fans. They just had fabric sides that moved up and down over open windows, the sheds were not insulated and had corrugated iron on the roof. We used to do a run or three of broilers a year as well and they didn't really smell either, again unless the poo got wet. Mind you we were pretty careful about checking for and disposing of dead birds etc and that must have helped.

More
13 years 6 months ago #241657 by max2
It was all open yesterday and no smell. I am thinking that generally if there was a problem, the smell would be continuous.....

More
13 years 6 months ago #241748 by DiDi
I can agree with PG totally about the only smell from the poultry sheds I slept about 25 metres from - 27 years ago - only smelt when they cleaned out the sheds. We were renting the house and I had no problems with them.

Swaggie, the only thing I could suggest if you are still concerned is that you could check with the Council that the sheds are a registered complying activity and beyond that, know that they only pong, hopefully, because they are being cleaned out.

More
13 years 6 months ago #241893 by max2
Its all been good since keeping an eye on things Didi, so perhaps it was a matter of the sheds having been cleaned out earlier etc. :)

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds