Its So Hard To Find Work

More
13 years 7 months ago #15779 by lovingdalifestyle
I do Office work and I was doing three days a week that suited me just dandy a couple off weeks ago I was put back to just oneday a week beacasue the business is so slow [:(!] and thats stinks its not enough I can't pay bills on that. I have applied for jobs that suit but its so hard when everyone else is also applying for them too. I'm in a small town :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #239101 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
i know how you feel.
i've just been made redundant from my job as admin/sales support in a real estate company. :( have been there for 10 years. very sad.
employers are really tightening up. i've heard of employers not replacing people and getting other staff to take on more of the work. Someone I know said that even some employers he knows are getting wives to do the work instead of employing someone new.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
13 years 7 months ago #239103 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
Stick with it - the right job will come along. Sometimes you just have to wait it out.

More
13 years 7 months ago #239104 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
I've got a couple of friends whose businesses are slowing down quite considerably too...

LDL, have you put out the word amongst friends and family too? Sometimes its word of mouth that works... [:I] Fingers crossed for you...

KK, that's awful after such a long time.

I have my fingers crossed for the couple who bought our house, the employing org of one of them has announced redundancies as there weren't enough people who came forward for voluntary redundancy...:(

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 7 months ago #239128 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
We found Hubby's job via www.seek.co.nz and my part time office job via the local newspaper, which was advertised over 2 weeks with a few applicants (I would have thought more).

From what I have gleaned so far employers here are contacting outside local area sources for employees to get a different pool of workers and ideas....

good luck with your search. :) [^] :) [8D]

Its very hard not to get depressed and we were not in good head space a couple of weeks back either..... :(

More
13 years 7 months ago #239145 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
Both of us have been searching for jobs with no success too. I have been out of work since March (did a few weeks relief in May) and OH has been out of work (at least paying work) for almost three years. We apply for everything that goes with no luck. Gets so hard to keep on trying. To all of us in this boat, let's hope the New Year finds us all gainfully employed. :)

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
13 years 7 months ago #239154 by max2
I second that wish for you too Eelcat, how are you coping?

Something we both picked up on here is the failure of employment agencies to return calls, even after leaving message after message, yet they continually advertise a job...

and then the WINZ job site wasn't working for us either. I did find another website for jobs in NZ, cannot think of its name but it seemed to have a lot on offer than seek too....

Best wishes to you all![^]

More
13 years 7 months ago #239158 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
All the jobs I've picked up in the last few years have been via word of mouth. If someone offers you something small which you think it's hardly worth your time and inconvenience to do, take it: you may make some contacts which lead to something else later. For instance, if you were in my locale and fancied doing some exam supervision at this time of the year, you'd meet twenty-plus people who have other contacts, who might know of something for which they might suggest your name, and so it goes. Small communities are often hard to get into, but sometimes make things really easy once you're in.

Good luck with the hunt. :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #239161 by max2

Isla;216120 wrote: All the jobs I've picked up in the last few years have been via word of mouth. If someone offers you something small which you think it's hardly worth your time and inconvenience to do, take it: you may make some contacts which lead to something else later. For instance, if you were in my locale and fancied doing some exam supervision at this time of the year, you'd meet twenty-plus people who have other contacts, who might know of something for which they might suggest your name, and so it goes. Small communities are often hard to get into, but sometimes make things really easy once you're in.

Good luck with the hunt. :)

so true Isla! My job has turned out the same, has grown and continues to do so.... in addition to the work advertised. So anyone reading it first hand and possibly dismissing it, would be best to have applied and gone from there....

More
13 years 7 months ago #239162 by max2
another hint I picked up was the election work advertising. I was going to apply before knowing I had this job, however when i telephoned for an application pack, the jobs were nearly all but filled, and that was on the day of advertising....

so my thought from that was the local person in charge of the electorate office no doubt had a list of pre loved/experienced people.

I thought then if i didn't get something soon, I would intro myself to him and let him know I was available to do whatever he had in the office when a vacancy next occurred. I wouldn't wait until a vacancy appeared for a govt job as I believe they are filled and the advertising is merely a formality.[:0]

More
13 years 7 months ago #239166 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
Sometimes it pays to think outside the box and be prepared to try something different. When I first moved down to the Waikato I took a temp office job...lasted all of a month, couldn't stand the bitching and boredom.[;)] Then I signed on with a relief milking agency...that was great and I was soon doing sole charge milkings..stayed there for a few months as the hours made it easy to job hunt (and I enjoyed the work) ..then found a part time job in my field of work...was ok at first doing 30 hours a week but when I could do the work in ten hours a week it was time to get out before total brain death set in :p . Finally just over a year after moving down here I've got a job that could have been made for me.
Maybe try putting your name down with an agency...Addeco In Hamilton are (in my experience) very good and cover the whole Waikato.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

• Toni - Northland
13 years 7 months ago #239174 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
Each week in our local paper there are fewer and fewer jobs advertised now. I have decided I am not going back to work, I am not even going to stay to get my holiday pay which is bugger all as I have used it up. I am working 3 nights a week and 2 of those nights it costs me in petrol. It is also dangerous driving home at 1am with huge trucks and houses being moved. I have also had a gutsful of the politicing and laziness of some of my co workers and the policies management has bought in, too many dumb ones to mention. I have my name down for day work, but doubt they will ring me anytime soon. I am off to ring the manager shortly. Have texted the supervisor and am going to ring her as well later on.

• Toni - Northland
13 years 7 months ago #239175 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
PS, I don't usually give up so easy, but circumstances alter matters.

More
13 years 7 months ago #239177 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
I sympathise with you too ... when we shifted here last year it was a real shock to find the lack of jobs ... especially when you are somewhat mmmm... older than you use to be (in our case) ... Hubby is a qualified butcher among other things and finally secured a job at the works ... I started a new career on our friends farm ... milking cows:) .. so just keep on looking and be prepared to try something different ... ask everywhere ... local shop, local school etc ... something will turn up ... seasonal jobs fruit picking? or market gardens? ... just stay positive and you will get there...Oh and do not be upset by the LACK of replies or returns of CV's ... there is a large amount of rudeness out there in that department.
Good Luck in your search.
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
13 years 7 months ago #239192 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Its So Hard To Find Work
I agree if your physical status allows look outside the square of what you nornally do, maybe start off somewhere else in a job that may lead to being where you want later on e.g a rest home as a HCA parttime and then onto their reception work later.. it would bring you in a paltry income to survive on, and make it known either by those notices at the supermarket that you are an office worker and could do part time stuff, where you get a job or aim for word of mouth.. YEs the tightening of the belt has hardly begun, me thinks..
AND do some door knocking of firms that you think you would like to work at.. drop off your CV..so many folk will be shooting over to aust. thinking there is work there, so to save a firm an advert and the headache that goes with it

Time to create page: 0.261 seconds