Creepy late night visitor!

More
13 years 7 months ago #15775 by Ghilly
There we were, parked up watching Victoria Wood on the telly (DVD) and a bluddy great Huhu beetle bombards it's way through the open ranch slider, past the curtain and straight at Kim.

It was action stations. They are such undecided creatures, ricocheting off objects with no apparent destination.... like a bumper car gone wild.

I was ducking and diving trying to avoid it as it hurtled about and trying to pluck up enough bottle to pop a jar over it. I nearly lost my nerve but it landed on a feed sack full of paper and I managed to get the jar over it and Kim handed me a bit of junk mail to slide over the opening of the jar.

Next came the nerve wracking task of letting it go, outside, in the hope I could shake it out of the jar, make sure it wasn't sitting on the bit of junk mail and slide the door shut lickerty split.

I've had the shivers all night just thinking about it.

I now have to go out and milk my two girls... in the shelter..... with the light on..... with the Huhu beetles obviously out and about.

Didi? I could do with that bee suit you had.:rolleyes:[;)]

Why are these kamakaze oogly booglies out and about NOW? They don't usually show up until Christmas/New Year? Personally, I think they turn up at that time of the year to scare the beegeebers out of women, in camping grounds, using the ablution block when they're three sheets to the wind and wearing high heels... now THAT is funny... not when they plague you while sitting in track pants, flannel shirt and socks, totally sober and in your own lounge!

The scary thing is, it wasn't a big one, I've seen bigger..... I hope it doesn't have older siblings still awaiting their transformation.

The developer next door knocked down a huge dead tree a year or so ago and bulldozed it all into a heap. My guess they are probably blatting in from that... which doesn't ease my mind any I can tell you......

It's not been a bad day as far as temperature goes but the evening has a chill to it... so why is this maniac out and about? I thought the came out when it was much warmer.... Poop!

Right, well then.... off unto the breach..... 'where's me wooly hat with the ears'.:eek:

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #239068 by flyingfeathers
OH and his brother had a shock the other night to when a huhu beetle came flying in, they think via the window on the latch :D

OH was freaked out as they hadn't seen one before, in the end sister in law googled it to find out what it was [B)] OH has been bitten by a weta before and is very wary of anything new he hasn't seen !

I was completely oblivious to it all, fast asleep in the other room [:0] :D

7 acres in the wonderful South Wairarapa

• maggies mum
13 years 7 months ago #239071 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Creepy late night visitor!
Oh they are horrible things! I'm not an insect person at all!

More
13 years 7 months ago #239079 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Creepy late night visitor!
the grubs are ok grub, just BBQ them before they transform and then you won't have a bug problem :D sort of nutty flavour.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 7 months ago #239097 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic Creepy late night visitor!
they give a nasty bite. one night at a bbq, some kids were mucking around, and one got a very nasty bite....from its pincher things.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
13 years 7 months ago #239099 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic Creepy late night visitor!
oh and if they land on your skin....they're bloody sticky things. hard to get them off...creepy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
13 years 7 months ago #239223 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Creepy late night visitor!
I have had so many here that I don't even react to them. I always pick them up in he morning and release them.

Yakut - all the bee keeping stuff is still here if required in an emergency.[:0] Will ask the ex what he wants to do with it all - in case anyone is interested.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds