Dire programming on TV

More
13 years 7 months ago #15742 by Ghilly
I must admit, I have been known to watch drivel but tonight it is dire!

I wish they'd screen Eggheads on in a later time slot. 'Who wants to be a millionaire is ok but the waiting and the dramatics inbetween answers is just plain annoying, maybe that's why Eggheads is better. You gotta love Daphne (is it Daphne?) well she is just lovely, a really nice smile and a good sport to boot. When the other team got the answer right, she gave a little silent woop of delight.

Kim wants to watch 'Gone with the wind' again seeing as she's currently reading the book. Man! You need good arm muscles to read it, it's HUGE! No wonder the film lasts hours. Not the sort of thing you want to start watching at this time of night.

I'm just not a sports fan, especially if the media have hyped things up, in fact anything that gets over hyped, I get sick of before it actually screens.

I may have to dig out some good old Brit humour videos... not that I will have to dig very far :o they are usually close to hand... well..... why put a good thing in the back of the cupboard? eh eh.....

I need one of those cat cams to stick on Tonks so we've got something to watch at night. There was a very busy moment this morning when she was out in the race with the goats and Kim and then to get out of the way of goats, she ducked under the fence and wound up in the chook run. You'd think Paddington would have sorted her out, little terrorist! but no, he acted like a big girls blouse and in spite of making Bria yelp the other day, he clucked like a broody hen and hid in the corner with the girls. He could have had her on TOAST! Those spurs and claws and wings flapping, beak aimed at her sit down on parts...... I think that's how he made Bria yelp, must have got her fair in the date. That's where he usually aims at.... mind you, with Brias' wind troubles, it would be the last place I would stick my beak, especially if she was being stressed by me. Silly bird. I reckon he's going a bit doo lally tap myself.

Phoebe has just come insode with a tail like a toilet brush. There was a squall of cat fight noises just pervious. Methinks it was Madam Tonks and Phoebe arguing over who gets the vegetable garden territory.

If I had my say (which I can do but they won't pay the slightest bit of notice) I would say it's MY Bloody territory.!!!! If I plant my carrots in a row, then that's where I expect them to grow! Not all over the ruddy garden.

Oh well..... I have managed to keep the chooks out but cats have their own rules. I've only dug over one small area, the other two big bits are still sprouting waist high weeds and some rogue potatos.

The cats have already started using the bit that's been weeded as a toilet. Charming!!!!! Rivka doesn't, she just finds a dent in the lawn. She doesn't dig holes cos it will get her paws dirty and it wastes good sleeping time.

Yakut

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
13 years 7 months ago #238568 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Dire programming on TV
I agree with you about the programming. I bought myself some good brit dvds this week. Eric Sykes, The Plank and others. Love Thy Neighbour, still very very funny and so un PC, you gotta love it and Steptoe and Son. I am getting a collection of old time tv dvds now. Bonanza is one, can't think of the others at the moment.

More
13 years 7 months ago #238570 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Dire programming on TV
Can't go past The Good Life and Last of the Summer Wine :D

I remember The Plank, what a great silent comedy :D :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
13 years 7 months ago #238577 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Dire programming on TV
eh? what happened to my post last night?

Last of the Summer Wine is good, so was one foot in the grave and keeping up appearances.

Blackadder is a HOOT, and red dwarf is weird :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
13 years 7 months ago #238579 by Llew
Replied by Llew on topic Dire programming on TV
Battlestar Galactica (the new version) is awe inspiring! I've also been watching Cranford (worthy UK rustic drama with lots & lots of "Dames" in it) and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

All good stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 7 months ago #238580 by Llew
Oh, and Torchwood is interesting.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 7 months ago #238581 by Llew

Steptoe and Son

Steptoe & Son, and Til Death Do Us Part are worthy of being studied in university, if they're not already.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 7 months ago #238586 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Dire programming on TV
Doctor Who

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
13 years 7 months ago #238589 by Llew
I saw the Dr Who where some aliens used his DNA to create a fighter - technically his daughter.

And I noted with interest that the actress who played her is Peter Davison's (an ex Dr WHo) daughter. Pretty neat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 7 months ago #238593 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic Dire programming on TV
We have 'The Plank'!!!! Did you know Eric Sykes is deaf and was way back then? WOW!

We Love Torchwood but it's not on any more.

I could spend the fortune I haven't got buying old comedies.

I bought a copy of 'The Long long trailer' with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez (sp?)
THAT is just SO funny and is a double feature with 'Forever Darling' which is also a riot.

There is too much real life war and tragedy so a little break from it all and a good laugh can't be too bad for ones demeanour.

Kim saw online that Reg Varney has died aged 92. His fellow actor, Bob Grant also died way back in 1992? 94? he gassed himself in his car.
Michael Robbins died a few years ago from a heart attack aged 62.

With all these wonderful actors dying, it's quite despairing. Who the hell can fill their boots? Not many, if any.... to use the lyrics in some hip hop song.

If so many people enjoy these old brit coms, why oh why doesn't TVNZ or one of the other networks sling a few on the telly!!!!
We don't have Sky so the Brit Channel is a mystery but the last time I saw it at a friends, it didn't have any good old comedies, just 'The Bill' etc.

I love Steptoe and Son but Kim hates it so it's not something we can both sit down to watch. I ADORE Jeeves and Wooster but need more episodes.
One of the DVD's keeps getting itself stuck in the player and Kim has had to take the thing apart twice now to get it out and it's got a big scratch on it. The first five minutes of the very first episode are just so funny.
Hugh Lawrie is such a comedian, I don't think 'House' does him justice.
He is an excellent Piano player as well.

Steven Fry did such a wonderful job playing Jeeves. Excellent!!!!!!

So why aren't these being screened any more? Has movie technology moved so far that people need more and more special effects? I don't want to be entertained by bright lights and fast moving sequences, blood, gore and guts.

So? Who do we grasp gently about the throat and shake until their eyes rattle to get these wonderful series returned to TV?

I mentioned last of the Summer Wine last weekend and started up a conversation with a complete stranger. It was that episode where they realised anyone getting a hole in one on the golf course had to shout the clubhouse a drink. The three of them hid out at the 18th and when a ball came onto the green, one of them would whizz out and put it in the hole, then they'd all scarper back to the club house and await their free drink!!!
Classic!

Yakut

More
13 years 7 months ago #238598 by Llew

If so many people enjoy these old brit coms, why oh why doesn't TVNZ or one of the other networks sling a few on the telly!!!!

I can count on one hand the ones I think are or were any good, and some seem to be on endless repeat! I'd be very surprised if there weren't a few on at the moment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 7 months ago #238599 by Llew

Steven Fry did such a wonderful job playing Jeeves. Excellent!!!!!!

So why aren't these being screened any more?

In this instance because they've made & screened them all about 6 times over & Bertie is in the USA pretending to be an American doctor.

That's what DVD box sets are for (or hit the torrents & download pretty much everything that's been on TV in the last 50 years.)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 7 months ago #238601 by Llew

So? Who do we grasp gently about the throat and shake until their eyes rattle to get these wonderful series returned to TV?

Be aware that I'll be waiting in line to shake their throats if they even consider screening Last of the Summer Wine one more time (and shaking twice as hard if they try & fob M.A.S.H on us for the gazillionth time.)

And don't get me on the subject of Are You Being Served or Dad's Army! DVD guys, I'm sure the bargain bin at the Warehouse has them all.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 7 months ago #238605 by Llew
Re the plank - which version do you have? The one from 1967 or 1979?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Plank_ (1979_film )

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
13 years 7 months ago #238649 by NZ Appaloosas
Hey, "Are You Being Served?" is classic! We just got Sky (as in, today), and so far I've driven hubby nuts with my devouring of Fox News, and now sitting on the Food Channel. I'm also actively reading the SkyWatch, trying to figure what I can set to be recorded

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds