Computer virus

More
13 years 7 months ago #15708 by Clods
Computer virus was created by Clods
Downloader virus on my computer. Norton is blocking it - says its deleted it and puts a copy in quarantine. Says I have to restart the computer after its done this. When it restarts it tells me is found the same virus again and is deleting it.

Somehow it keeps coming back after the computer is restarted. While the virus program says its stopping it every time it tries to do something - how the hell to I get rid of it and make it stay away?

How did it get through in the first place, when have the scanner running all the time?

Thanks - getting frustrated!

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #238093 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Computer virus
It may have something to do with your "system restore".
I had a worm/virus in my drive, all searches offered me a price to remove it. :( Avast! did it for free. :D :D Now I use it all the time.
You can get a free on line scan here or download it here .

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 7 months ago #238096 by Westermans
Replied by Westermans on topic Computer virus
Clods, good luck..that is how i lost my last PC...hope you get it sorted out ASAP :)

Multitasking is my speciality:-)
www.westermans.co.nz

More
13 years 7 months ago #238102 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Computer virus
Download and use this

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Spybot_Search_and_Destroy/1043809773/1

Also look up ccleaner download and use.

I find Nortons strange to use. I use Avast and and firewall in XP and have no major problems

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
13 years 7 months ago #238215 by Clods
Replied by Clods on topic Computer virus
Thanks, will try that. Westermans - don't say that, I only just got it back, after it being away a month. I have had this computer a year, and it just hasn't worked right since day 1. It has been back to be fixed 3 times in that time. And I lose all my files each time, as its their policy not to retrieve customers files for them!

More
13 years 7 months ago #238226 by Westermans
It must have been made on a friday Clods :) Cant you demand a new one, is it still under warrenty?

www.westermans.co.nz

More
13 years 7 months ago #238227 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Computer virus
Clod - under the Consumer Guarantees Act, you do not have to put up with this nonsense. Three repairs in 12 months? No way. Retrieve your info onto hard disc (when you get rid of the virus) and demand a replacement or your money back.

I had a DVD player that burnt? out the laser three times over, from memory, two years and the third time I just said "Enough". Mentioned the CGA and they replaced the machine on the spot. The warranty on the machine means nothing against what is reasonable to expect of the product. This isn't good enough and would qualify. What have you to lose?

More
13 years 7 months ago #238236 by Clods
I have had the DVD writer replaced twice. And the whole computer crashed twice - first time was 4 months after I bought it. I phoned the shop last time it went back, and they said that if it went wrong again, that I could get it replaced.

It was just out of its one year warrenty last time it went back, but I had paid for 5 years warrenty. Trouble was, I could not no longer send it to the local repair place to get fixed, the insurance company insisted it went to Auckland at my expense. And it went there twice, as it still didn't work the first time they sent it back.

The virus isn't stopping the computer working at the moment, though the virus scanner programme is making it difficult for me to ever connect to the internet because of it.

This computer has been a lemon ever since i got it.

More
13 years 7 months ago #238280 by Westermans
SEND IT BACK :) and get a nice new one that was not made by a nonse ;)

www.westermans.co.nz

More
13 years 7 months ago #238320 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Computer virus
Hi Clods,

we, too, had huge problems with one computer. Apart from not working properly it emitted a solvent smell which we didn't want to have in our house. So we took it back. The clerk at the counter rang the back office, mentioned to the person on the phone that 'another one has just been brought in' and after a few minutes we got our money back. It was made in China. We now have one that was made in Taiwan. It is several years old and no problems so far.

More
13 years 7 months ago #238339 by Clods
I just get so fed up with spending weeks loading all the programs back on, and then getting a new or fixed computer and having to do it all again, otherwise I would.

Got rid of the virus with an anti-malware programe, but can't connect to the internet at all through the browser, but messenger and anything else that connects works fine. Wondering how I can reinstall the browser without going online!

I will try and download firefox, and take it home on a disk, I think.

More
13 years 7 months ago #238341 by Westermans
Clods, one of my friends had that problem, she couldnt open the internet trhough the browser at all..i will ask how she solved it for you...will get back to you...be patient though, i will get back to you..promis ;)

www.westermans.co.nz

More
13 years 7 months ago #238371 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Computer virus
Do you run Zone Alarm? If you have a current copy there is /was an issue with XP. Will not connect to the net.
My solution here is to turn ZA off after each restart until I resolve it. Not the right one, but works for now.
My office computer has an older version of ZA, thanks to Pyewacket :D , and works fine

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
13 years 7 months ago #238378 by Clods
No don't have Zone alarm, as far as I know.

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds